Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

So how many of you guys Stocked up on Fuel in the last year? Im up 50%…

OKYLE ยท 2007-05-18 11:23

lol... paid 2.15-2.25 for diesel when the fuel prices came wayyy down. I knew it wouldnt last, so i bought up as much as possible. Ahhhh the good ole taste of victory....:beatsme or cheap fuel... :drinkup extra profit for me...

Replies16
  1. #1Gmads2007-05-18 16:50

    How much can you stockpile at one time, or did you use the commodities market?

  2. #2rino14942007-05-18 18:18

    Well, fuel was down in the winter time and we spent quite a bit of money on repairs this winter. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough to purchase a supply of fuel. That's the way it goes in this business.

  3. #3OKYLE2007-05-18 18:53

    nah dont play the market, The market got enough of my money in the dot com crash :Banghead :Banghead if i knew where my broker lived, he wouldnt be above ground anymore.. I "could have" stockpiled 2000 gallons, but then i saw prices coming down, and didnt know where the bottom was, so i just bought 1,000. :Banghead :Banghead then the prices skyrocketed back up gah :beatsme. Im sure thats really small time for some of you guys :beatsme but thats enough to last me one hell of a long while :drinkup :cool2

  4. #4John Banks2007-05-18 20:27

    what's the shelf life of diesel fuel? Do you, or can you, treat the fuel to preserve it from algae, etc.

  5. #5OKYLE2007-05-18 20:36

    from what i understand as long as you can keep it from growing bacteria, Diesel Fuel can last for a looonggg time, well over 10 years is what i heard from a guy that worked at a powerplant of some kind, he said they kept 20,000 gallons or some crazy amount for 10 + years for some kind of back up generators, before finally using it up and refilling them again. there are specialty algaecide treatments out there, not sure where you can pick em up at though... heard about them though.

  6. #6thejdman042007-05-19 19:48

    Keep the condensation down, alge growth down and your ok for a while. Most suppliers wont contract fuel anymore, and only whatever you can store rigth now, delivery now, so we dont ahve that huge of a storage capacity for personal farm use. Used to be youd get a break if you bought in bulk, anymore unless you buy 500 gallons they wont even deliver

  7. #7Dwan Hall2007-05-19 22:57

    I put away 2000 gal 3 years ago and have only used about 100 gal so far. It is treated. I will be taping into it this summer.

  8. #8AFZIMM2007-05-20 17:43

    In February 2006 I bought 10,000 gallons of on road diesel fuel for 2.63 a gallon. We used about 12,000 gallons last summer. I filled my 2 1,000 gallon barrels last November for 2.51 a gallon. I had a chance to pre-buy for 2.38 this past Feb. My broker adviced me to hold off as he thought prices would continue to fall. Well, today diesel fuel is 2.89 at the pumps and we are still waiting for that price to drop below 2.38.... The fuel price doesn't bother me as much as does the Government telling me I have to pay my truck drivers 27 bucks an hour prevailing wage. Is anybody else out there paying ridiculously high prevailing wage rates to employees? AFZIMM

  9. #9wrenchbender2007-05-20 18:14

    I guess I need to quit wrernching and start driving! BTW need any more drivers? I could learn to hit grade stakes if required.

  10. #10pushcat2007-05-20 18:26

    The fuel price doesn't bother me as much as does the Government telling me I have to pay my truck drivers 27 bucks an hour prevailing wage. Is anybody else out there paying ridiculously high prevailing wage rates to employees? AFZIMM[/QUOTE] If your not on a federally funded project that's pretty rude, I don't see how they can determine how you compensate your employees. If it is a fed job, just figure that into your bid and adjust accordingly.

  11. #11RollOver Pete2007-05-20 21:35

    Is $27.00 an hr prevailing wage too much? If it was a job you bid on, you had to know it was pw. Care to share the pay scale on a non pw job? Ummm....never mind. I don't want to know. :cool2

  12. #12Lashlander2007-05-21 01:34

    Why do you care what you have to pay them? If you bid the job the scale was in the bid packet. If your a sub your general would have had to tell you. Either way it should have went into the bid and its not costing you a dime. I'm a little bias because I like prevailing wages. However, the company I work for believes their employees should be able to make a good living and the prevailing wage laws let them pay their people and compete with other companies that would pay their employees peanuts while pocketing the money. How much do think would be more fair? Who's gonna pocket the extra money that you save from having to pay your people?

  13. #13Prairie Dog2007-05-21 10:09

    Nice HiJack Guys, Back to fuel. Your prices look pretty good. For gasoline right now at the pumps in Saskatoon we are paying $1.20/litre ($4.54/gal) Diesel is usually only 5-10 cents behind. For a contry with an enormous amount of oil we sure do pay a lot. Just wait till those guys in the maritimes chime in. They are paying a lot more than us right now too.

  14. #14OKYLE2007-05-21 18:50

    Wow, you guys are getting raped on the fuel taxes ouch Hopefully our countries dont get it as bad as the British, unlike them our countries people have to drive further than 50+ miles alot :usa On a side note I want to get into the Restaurant Oil "waste oil" pickup business. To actually go hand in hand with my excavation business cheap fuel for the machines. Restaurant oil pickup, and then use that oil to make bio diesel. .50-70 cents a gallon is about what it costs to produce it.

  15. #15Prairie Dog2007-05-22 15:45

    Fuel just went up another $0.06 a litre today again. That's about $0.23 a gal (4.77/gal) We might hit $5.00 per galon this year.

  16. #16biggixxerjim2007-05-22 16:49

    Were just slaves to the man