Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Solder in a stripped zerk???

Finca SDR · 2018-03-03 21:28

Hola, So here's the latest big idea, if I've got a stripped hole for a zerk on the end of one of the pins that holds my rear bucket on, is there any reason I can't solder it in there? I stick weld okay but have no soldering or brazing experience, except for that time an electronics thing didn't really work right. Anyone have any experience with this? What would I do, heat it up with a torch and slather solder on the joint? Don't want to worry about taps and dies, expensive and hard to find around here. Same with helocoils and "special" zerks. Thanks!

Replies11
  1. #1Jonas3022018-03-03 23:05

    soldering could work but not to likely they steel is quite thick to be heated that way and it needs to be spotlessly clean which you are not going to get with out disassembly Another way is to weld a nut over the hole and screw in zerk

  2. #2jimg9842018-03-03 23:09

    clean out old grease and use JB WELD or any expoxy

  3. #3Delmer2018-03-03 23:10

    JB weld, or if you can't find that, 5 minute epoxy. Or take the pin out and take it to repair shops until you find a guy who will fix it for about the cost of the epoxy. Easy fix for anybody with a 3/4" drill bit and a tap, plus the deeper zerk won't break off as easy. You don't need a fancy machine shop, the guy on the corner who owns drill bits and taps will work.

  4. #4Finca SDR2018-03-03 23:59

    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Think I'm leaning towards welding a nut over the hole like Jonas suggested. Can handle it right here with what's here and doesn't even cook the zerk.

  5. #5John C.2018-03-04 01:21

    Just drill the hole to the next pipe fitting and install a bushing.

  6. #6Finca SDR2018-03-04 08:20

    I'll post up if the welding a nut on works

  7. #7Bls repair2018-03-04 11:06

    What I’ve done is put the zero in and tack weld on opposing sides.

  8. #8Mobiltech2018-03-04 13:23

    1/4 inch flat iron works good too. Drill and tap it on the bench then cut off a small piece and weld it in place.

  9. #9Welder Dave2018-03-04 13:26

    If you have to get a drill and tap anyway, why not just fix the pin? You should be able to take it out and work on the bench too.

  10. #10Finca SDR2018-03-04 17:25

    tomorrow when the HW stores open im a gonna get a 1/4" nut and weld it on there and its a gonna work so goood... I hope...

  11. #11Finca SDR2018-03-07 00:08

    Hola Bls, when I got the thing one of the sides of this pin was installed like that. It worked for a bit but then it fell out cuz I think if he cooked it enough to stay in it would've destroyed the zerk. Welding the nut on seems like a good solution, heat up and abuse the nut and install the pristine zerk. Attached is a pic, looks ugly but works nice. Put a piece of square tube around it also for some protection. Did an identical one on the other side of the pin and this pivot finally has grease in it for almost the first time since I got it eight months ago. Thanks everyone for all the information and advice!