Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some oddball questions

RobVG · 2012-12-10 20:31

I'll start out with one but I'm sure I'll come up with several. When you grease the swing pinion and ring gear, the manuals tell you to measure the depth of the grease. ***? What difference does it make how deep the grease is as long at the gear faces are covered? Texclad 2- the only grease that's messier than molly.

Replies38
  1. #1Phill2012-12-10 20:37

    just throwing a thought out there, if the weather is really cold, wouldn't the grease get even more tacky ? making it harder for the swing motor work harder ?

  2. #2willie592012-12-10 21:24

    Oddball questions eh? Ok, I'm game...why is it, when the bottom of your foot itches, no amount of kicking, stomping, twisting, praying, or cursing will make it stop itching until you UNLACE YOUR DAMN BOOT, TAKE IT OFF, AND ACTUALLY SCRATCH IT while you're doing 70 mph down a highway???

  3. #3FSERVICE2012-12-10 21:42

    cause your in way to big a hurry willie, otherwise you would just pull over to scratch lol

  4. #4willie592012-12-10 21:44

    LoL, either way FSERVICE...ya still gotta take your dang boot off! Grrrrrrr.

  5. #5RobVG2012-12-10 21:44

    Boy your a big help...lmao

  6. #6willie592012-12-10 22:00

    Well...you said "odd ball questions" Rob. LoL

  7. #7King of Obsolete2012-12-10 22:07

    why can't they make a fuel hose that is flexable all year round? at -33c the hose is great fun to work with out breaking. thansk KoO Published Author

  8. #8willie592012-12-10 22:22

    KoO...I was laughing with tears when I saw your post. :notworthy

  9. #9King of Obsolete2012-12-10 22:31

    also i whipped up a seat extension for my d6 9u known as The Hood. i should have cut a square hole to toss the chains in not a round one, lol. thansk KoO Published Author

  10. #10willie592012-12-10 22:36

    LoL, the hole is funny enough KoO...but the mental picture of the snow (cold) is hilarious.

  11. #11mitch5042012-12-10 22:47

    KoO, That fuel hose looks even more vicious than most. It looks like that one is actively on the attack! That seat on that crawler looks like a great convenience.

  12. #12King of Obsolete2012-12-10 22:49

    i ran a load during a snow storm in the great white north. the air cleaner on the ford sucked in all the snow which went in to the air compressor. so how many snow flakes did it take to fill the alcohol container??? i had just serviced the alcohol container before the trip and in 11 hours it was full of snow flakes. thansk KoO Published Author

  13. #13King of Obsolete2012-12-10 22:52

    mitch504 -- yes the hose looks like a cobra ready to attack. maybe the seat extension can used for dual purpoaes, lol. thansk KoO Published Author

  14. #14powerjoke2012-12-10 23:32

    I don't get it

  15. #15King of Obsolete2012-12-10 23:34

    the snowflakes that turn to ice in the air system??? thansk KoO Published Author

  16. #16digger242j2012-12-11 02:14

    You don't suppose Rob thought he'd get an actual answer, do you? They can. Just not for where you live.

  17. #17Tinkerer2012-12-11 08:37

    Ya Willie, You shloud have seen the looks I used to get when I was on a D-8 knocking down fill dirt from a fleet of 631's and there I sit with my shoe off scratcin like there was no tomorrow !

  18. #18Diagonal Brace2012-12-11 12:59

    They do make an arctic rated fuel hose. Expensive as all get out though. Shouldnt the air filter stop the snowflakes?

  19. #19willie592012-12-11 19:27

    Yep, from everyone here...except me, he would expect something oddball from me.

  20. #20RobVG2012-12-11 19:38

    Measuring the depth of grease when checking swing pinion and ring gear? Nobody? Bueller? Bueller.....

  21. #21digger242j2012-12-11 20:07

    I wish I had an answer for you. It's hard to imagine how you'd go about it... :beatsme

  22. #22Lee-online2012-12-11 20:19

    Improper lubrication can cause damage to machine components. To avoid damage, make sure that the proper amount of grease is applied to the swing drive. When the amount of grease in the compartment becomes too large, the agitation loss becomes large, thereby accelerating grease deterioration. Grease deterioration can cause damage to the pinion gear of the swing drive and swing internal gear. Not enough grease will result in poor gear lubrication.

  23. #23Effinay2012-12-11 22:34

    I still haven't figured out how to grease the swing gear according to manufacturers recommendation. Supposed to be turning the house slowly as someone pumps grease from the outside. How in the he-double hockey sticks am I going to do that sittin' in the cab moving the lever?

  24. #24RobVG2012-12-12 00:51

    Remove the diamond shaped cover between the boom cylinders. You should really follow the warnings in your manual but I just stand outside the cab and pull the swing lever carefully towards me at low idle. Flip the lockout lever back to lock each time you go to grease. Put on a nitrile glove and squirt a golfball size lump of grease on your fingers. Stick fingers through hole and spread on as many teeth on the ring gear you can reach- usually 3. Start at the bottom of the gear and pull the grease up towards you. I grease about every 20 degrees. Open gear grease like Texclad 2 or HighGear 20/20 comes in caulking tubes which are alot less messy than squeezing grease straight from a tube.

  25. #25John C.2012-12-12 01:14

    I unscrew the bottom of the grease gun out and pull out the plunger. Then you pull both ends off the grease tube and and use the plunger from the grease gun to push the grease into the tub. Do one tube at the quarter turn of the house if just topping off grease. If replacing the grease you use about ten tubes or more. Season to taste. The other thing you can to is drill a hole for a grease fitting on the cover plate. Hook your battery gun on the fitting and tie down the trigger. Then rotate to your heart's content. What is recommended is thick grease and when these things come from Japan, the grease is about the consistency of a frozen cow pie. I like my grease just a little thinner as it is covered in the tub and just oozes around the teeth. Think about that next time you watch some porn!

  26. #26oarwhat2012-12-13 23:05

    King of obsolete what happened to your website? I thought you moved south!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  27. #27King of Obsolete2012-12-13 23:12

    oarwhat -- they went to a new server thing and my computer program to update the website is "obsolete". might have my new computer back before xmas with the new program installed. thansk KoO Published Author

  28. #28curb guy2012-12-14 00:39

    I would like to know how's the best way to clean the old,nasty grease out.The holes are about the diameter of a beer can.Needless to say,I cannot get my hand in there so,I rigged up a 'scoop' like thing.Geta the bulk out, but a real pain and takes forever.Is there a better way?

  29. #29John C.2012-12-14 01:07

    You crawl under the machine and look up in the carbody for another cover that looks similar to the one on the top on the house. Pick the machine up so that cover is on the low side and then remove it. Put some block under the tracks to hold the machine up for a day or so. You will find most of it will drain out making a real big mess of the inside of the carbody. Throw a pan under there when you are done and most will drip into the pan. Move the machine when you are done draining and put the cover back up. Fill the tub again and off you go. Good for another five years.

  30. #30Wick2012-12-14 05:37

    Man - that hose .... harder than a honeymooners ...... and twice as dangerous Cheers

  31. #31RobVG2013-01-03 20:29

    Question # 2 Replaced the intake manifold on my S10. Torque spec was 11 ft lbs. Didn't trust my old beam wrench so I bought a digital. I torqued it in three steps. After the final one I decided to go around one more time. and found some that were about 2lbs loose. Two more times around and everything was good. I didn't expect to have to re-torque them. Just wondering what would cause that?

  32. #32mitch5042013-01-03 22:33

    Well now Rob, this is a simple one. The manifold deformed as the bolts were tightened, and 11 ft/lbs isn't enough clamping force to pull it down all at once. It just keeps pulling down a little every time until the surfaces are hard together. Now, this is what I don't understand: Do you really think an S-10 is worth torquing the manifold in 3 steps, much less buying a new wrench?

  33. #33willie592013-01-03 23:32

    11 ft lbs ain't much pressure. Maybe it's just me, but I've been working with bolts and fasteners for so many years, with torque value like that, my hands would be my torque wrench. I do use a torque wrench on stuff like head bolts, main bearing caps, and connecting rod bolts. But stuff like that, I let my hands feel when it's there.

  34. #34Impact2013-01-04 10:20

    My wife has been acting odd lately. She's been going to the gym every Wednesday. She stays out later and later every week. The last few weeks she hasn't gotten home till after midnight. She supposedly has been riding to the gym with her girlfriend. The last couple of weeks, her girlfriend has dropped her off around the block and she walks the rest of the way home. Then she started really guarding her cell phone. Half the time she doesn't take the call, simply turns the ringer off. I was going to move her phone from the charger the other day, and she came running over and grabbed her phone from me, not letting me look at it. Last Wednesday night, I decided to wait up and try and find out WHY she was getting dropped off around the corner, or WHO was actually bring her home. So, I rolled my Harley out beside the driveway next to the shrubs. I crouched down behind the Harley to hide, and that's when I saw it! The rear head gasket was leaking oil! My question is this. Do you think I could fix it myself or should I take it to the dealer to be fixed?

  35. #35RobVG2013-01-04 10:55

    Well Mitch, It's been a good truck. Yesterday it pulled an F150 out of a ditch. If it had been a Dodge I would have left it there.

  36. #36gusbratz2013-01-04 13:46

    I wouldn't bother, it's a Harley. If it's not leaking oil from somewhere it means it doesn’t have any in it. By the way did you guys hear Harley has applied for a patent? They have actually devolved a new process that turns fuel directly into noise without the side affect of power.

  37. #37JGS Parts2013-01-04 14:29

    hahah love it mate

  38. #38mitch5042013-01-04 18:08

    Hey Impact, I kinda scanned your post and got all excited, I thought you had found a dealer who could fix wives!