Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some of my paint work

stevenbryant19 ยท 2009-05-06 21:14

Here are some pictures of some machines I have shot some paint on.

Replies36
  1. #1stevenbryant192009-05-06 21:19

    Here is a before of a 621F I'm working on now I'll post finished pictures and some more pictures soon.

  2. #2amunderdog2009-05-06 21:22

    Nice work. Do you make house calls?

  3. #3stevenbryant192009-05-06 21:27

    Yupp. I see your from Sunbright do you know Mike Douglas?

  4. #4bill53622009-05-06 21:40

    Very nice job on the painting, great detailing. What kind and type of paint did you use. Did you sand the existing paint or sand blast?

  5. #5stevenbryant192009-05-07 17:57

    The D5 had fairly good paint just faded so we sanded it with a DA first with 80 grit to feather the rough places out then with 180 and then 320 the whole thing to get rid of the sanding scratches. I used valspar enamel it was a semi gloss and I used Caterpillar yellow from Caterpillar (Valspar makes it too)the part number starts with a 9U it's the gloss yellow paint they sell an "old style" paint too but it looks dead to me I like shine I wish the sun was shining that picture doesnt do it justice. I'll post some pictures of some other stuff we have blasted and painted as soon as I can get my sister to load them off her camera. We blasted the bowl of the 621F's and Da'd the rest of it and are in the process of fixing the sheet metal lots and lots of sheet metal making some new parts (push bars, various body parts) we are actually refurbishing 3 at the same time.

  6. #6stevenbryant192009-05-07 18:06

    12G Road Grader I painted for a Ritchie Brothers Sale

  7. #7stevenbryant192009-05-07 18:11

    Komatsu PW170 I painted for the same Ritchie Brother Sale

  8. #8stevenbryant192009-05-07 18:17

    Sorry for the terrible quality I gorgot I even had those on here thought I would post them . ..

  9. #9JonesBros2009-05-07 22:18

    Awesome work! I'm also a fellow equipment painter in the winter off season. This past winter we painted a Komatsu 120, Cat 12F, log trailer, 45' Flatbed trailer, 2 dump truck bodies, Allis Chalmers 6060 tractor and a 613C Pan. There ain't nothing like painting some equipment. I simply love doing it except for the sand blasting!

  10. #10wolf442009-05-09 08:17

    Steven what do you charge for your paint jobs. Thanks

  11. #11stevenbryant192009-05-09 10:21

    It depends on what it is and what someone would want done. For example you can sand and paint one alot cheaper then blasting one blowing it off priming it sanding the primer then painting it not to mention if parts had to be made or any kind of body work had to be done. PM me if you want to kno about something specific.

  12. #12stevenbryant192009-05-11 21:28

    Pics of 621F stripped down before paint.

  13. #13RandyS2009-05-11 21:31

    Nice work Steven, where in KY are you?

  14. #14stevenbryant192009-05-11 21:51

    . . . and a 621F with some nice new shiny paint

  15. #15stevenbryant192009-05-11 21:53

    Tateville it's about 5 miles South of Somerset Ky and 30 miles North of the Tn border coming up U.S. 27

  16. #16stevenbryant192009-05-14 18:16

    A few more . . . . a Hitachi I painted the house on . .

  17. #17stevenbryant192009-05-14 18:24

    3930 Farm tractor . . .

  18. #18stevenbryant192009-05-14 18:28

    . . and a D6H I painted a few months ago . . .

  19. #19stevenbryant192009-05-14 18:40

    . . . . and another farm tractor Ford 4610 . . .

  20. #20390eric2009-05-14 21:03

    hey man awsome work. I used and still do paint cars just on the side now, but i usually do older cars and i know how tedouis that work is. I cant even imagine all the hand and finger sanding on all on the nooks and crannies to do a machine. Man u got patience. Awsome work

  21. #21stevenbryant192009-05-30 18:14

    Here are some pictures of the first scraper I got finished on Mega's lot. I got the second one done this week and have pictures primed and then after paint I'll post them after I get them loaded.

  22. #22stevenbryant192009-06-14 10:57

    Here is the second scraper after some body work all primed up . .

  23. #23stevenbryant192009-06-14 11:03

    Here it is still masked up after paint . . .

  24. #24stevenbryant192009-06-14 11:11

    Last ones . . . Masking removed, Decals installed, interior painted, windows cleaned ready to load on the lowboy . . . . .

  25. #25special tool2009-06-14 11:49

    Nice pictures. I am curious to know what a pro uses for the degreasing process? Machines, chemicals, etc.

  26. #26amunderdog2009-06-14 12:52

    Outstanding:usa

  27. #27Hole opener2009-06-15 00:38

    I am curious too. Got any tips on prepping for paint that you would care to share?

  28. #28stevenbryant192009-06-17 20:07

    Trade secrets . . . lol j/k. It really all depends on what kind of job you want and what you want to spend. You really NEED a steam cleaner. They make some fancy chemicals but then you have to worry with the EPA. The best cheapest thing to do is to go to the "dollar store" pick up some cheap oven cleaner. before you steam anything off soak down all the grease and grime with oven cleaner let it work about 15 minutes then steam away. It's good to go over everything twice for good measure even three times if it's bad. Once you get it clean then you cna sand or sandblast . . If you sand I would use a DA and sand starting with 80 grit to get everything feathered down good then go over that with 180 . . and then over that with 320. Make sure your entire machine is final sanded with 320. Now you are ready to paint UNLESS you want to to a supre nice job. If so wash the machine down again but this time give it a hand wash using a red scuff pad and 3M Scuff it or PPG101? This is a pre cleaner paste that is adegreaser and it also scuffs the surface for up to 70% adhesion. If you do this it is alot more work but the job will turn out MUCH better. After the machine has dried wipe it down with a wax and grease remover making sure you wipe on then wipe off all the residue. You can also use thinner but I prefer using wax and grease remover. Make sure you use hardener if you want it to last! Tractor supply sells valspar hardener for $12 and every "oem paint" I have bought is actually rebranded Valspar. To get a really nice shine you can reduce using a slow reducer on your last coat. Mix the paint normal with hardener then add up to 10% slow reducer if your in 80+ degree heat 70 degree medium below 70 fast reducer. Be careful though it will be alot more likely to run.

  29. #29stevenbryant192009-06-19 20:37

    I thought I would show a variety of what kind of jobs I do this is a Grader I did strictly for auction. It's nice doing a quick paint job but I would much rather do things the right way . . . This took 2 days 1 day to steam and sand. The next day I taped up while another guy sanded then we blew it off and sprayed it. . . . .

  30. #30stevenbryant192009-06-20 21:23

    Somre more pictures of the Dressta before we loaded it on the lowboy . . .

  31. #31stevenbryant192009-06-20 21:26

    Here is a picture of a bellypan to the last scraper I'm working on it was beat up really bad so I just decided to cut it out and weld in some new steel. . . .Gotta have something to do on those rainy days . . . .

  32. #32D5G2009-06-20 23:10

    Looks great, nice job!

  33. #33Speedpup2010-07-23 21:06

    Nice work:drinkup What could I buy to spray my Lull telehanders? I was thinking a HVLP spray gun with a tank I can put a gallon can it. I painted the machines in early nineties and they need done again. Thanks. How much is the paint your shooting per gallon? Can they match colors? this any good? http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PACACHE=000000147496688#

  34. #34amunderdog2010-07-24 02:16

    There you are Now would be a good time for you to work your magic on this mess

  35. #35Lightning Bolt2013-04-16 02:41

    Great info and nice work, I wish this site had a dedicated area for painting.

  36. #36BPMfore2013-04-17 21:11

    Awesome work Steven.....