I was in the yard of one of our best stone suppliers today and decided to snap some pics of their machines which have been retired. Kind of sad really.
That samsung doesnt look that old. Why are all those machines just sitting, why not sell them? -Eric
that's what i'am thinking....all those machines with the exceptions of those liebherrs[don't see any working anymore] would sell and are still worth money ?. the samsung and the komatsu look like the ar only 10-15 years old.[ early 90's]..? i bet dozer boy would love that d9.[late 70's]..:bouncegri parts can't be that hard to get.
That Komatsu is a dash 6, shouldn't be more than 10-11 years old
What a waste!
The Komatapillar doesn't even have an engine. These guys are known for their fine stone...I don't think they set any maintenance records though. What the pic's don't show is that these machines have been well canabilised with the exception of the samsung which still runs. Thats about all I know of these machines. Don't know why they haven't sold them...I'll ask oneday. Over in their workshop there was bits of 980 loader spread all over the floor. In the quarry they have gone back to Cat excavators with two Hitachi's being the only other machines that can handle the punishment these guys dish out. Bit sad to see those Liebherrs sitting like that...they were a really solid performer.
Those machines are not retired, just neglected.
That 9 look better then ours other than ours runs...well kind of. Ya I don't see why they don't sell them if we can sell some of the old crap we have you could sell those.
now what might this be?
A rock drill possibly? hard to tell
The rock drill is on the Samsung, looks like it has a small crawler tread on it.
They have rock drills on crawlers.
The little crawler was some Tamrock gear. It was not attached to the 984 as far as I could tell. The photo just makes it appear that way.
Hey Squizzy over here one persons 'old junk' is another persons 'rare collectable'... http://cgi.ebay.ca/Fiat-Fiat-500-Ba...13QQihZ014QQcategoryZ6218QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Its an old air-trac rock drill. I didnt see the mast. But it is all air operated you pull the air-compressor with the drill.
on the komatsu y does one track look wider than the other and where in perth is this rock/stone place i would love to see how much the samsung and the komatsu is. i would love to play around on them fun. on the komatsu does it have a quick hitch any other buckets rippers or even a grab. Tom. I am from melbourne.
That post was over two years ago and that equipment is long gone sorry.
sorry about that mate hey um have u seen any cheap excavators from the 5.5-8 tone with the offset boom and zero swing the blabe and a hitch.
Equipment like that is never junk! Its just some one else's unfound treasure...
Long gone...sold to a new life? I can't believe they would cannabalize fairly new machines.
Those are a thing of the past, was talking to a blasting company at one of our quarries last winter and they were out cleaning up a shot that didn't push the toe out. They brought their air-trac down and I had to make a bench for them to sit up on. He said although they are a very nice machine for that type of work, or smaller areas, they were not allowed(by OSHA or MSHA, not sure whom) to train any new operators on it. Just as we have talked about cabs on machines they are looking at operator health and comfort. Trbo
Yep the air-tracks were the 70's style rock drilling or concrete drilling way to go. They had hydraulic lines and air lines all over the place. We adapted drill bits and could use couplings that could enable you to drill to endless depths. I dont remember having many drill steels getting hung up on re-bar. We would drill 15-20 feet into concrete inside steel mills in Detroit and then fill the holes with dynamite. Use the old 560 Insley to put rope mattes over the drilled out holes, then sound the horn and yell "fire in the whole". Then bang......Concrete breakers on Excavators slowly phased out the drills. Very effective and complicated machines in the day though!
Maybe a thing of the past, but still in use in many places. I was at CMI just last week and they had 2 there, all painted up and ready for rent or sale. Much cheaper than the modern equipment and will still get the job done. They might not be comfortable, or drill as fast, but I know a few "Cheapo's" that still use them. I have heard stories of them being winched up cliffsides with some crazy sob standing on them drilling away a couple hundred feet up a 65 (or better)degree slope. If anyone has ever driven the Skagway/Whitehorse pass, that was done with airtracks back in the 70's. Watch for falling rocks:Banghead The most I ever ran them, was on and off of trailers, but lots of times. PITA if you ask me.