Some pictures of Dpull's Big boy toys
Euclid S7 ? S7 is still a great little tool for small earthmoving jobs, a few even made it to the bottom of the world
Nice looking little Euc there. Seems wrong to see it wearing a Terex badge, when we know it is a Euc.
nice pic, looks like its ready to pull in front of a pushcat and haul dirt, about what year is she?
Thanks to StinkyCat for posting the picture. The scraper was built in early 1963. I bought this one and my friend got the other one. I got 29 years of maintance records with them and the shop boss said he has been there 16 years and the scrapers had not been moved out of the shop to a job since he has been there. Both machines have around 4600 hrs on them. I would like to get it restored in the next year and some better tires. It has the 1800 x25 tires which are alot easier to find than the 2100 x25's that was a option. I rebuilt a water way this spring with her and so far every seems to be working good. Maybe next time StinkyCat gets to stop I'll have the shop back in order.
Good looking little pull. That should have the “Pioneer Pete” logo instill of the Terex. Pioneer Pete went down in 1964 and was complete gone by the end of the 1st qt. of 1965. Kelly
Ahhh, the little Euc brings back some memories! Bounce, bounce, bounce, BOUNCE!! We had quite a few S7E paddle scrapers in the Australian Army, and we took some to 'Nam. We rebuilt Route 2 from Baria, the capital of Phuoc Tuy province, through to the border with Long Khanh province (23 miles), using these old girls (well, they were new, then!). Route 2 was the main N-S hwy, and had last been built up by the French after the end of WW2 to the early 1950's. We boxed out the old French road about half a metre deep, and widened it by 2.5M, each side. The S7E used a 2-71 to drive the paddles. They were a pretty reliable little machine, I don't recall any serious breakdowns, except one time I blew a blower seal on the 2-71. Here, we're doing plant operator training at the School of Military Engineering at Casula, West of Sydney. All this is gone now, the whole area is now just houses. http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/P08176.019 Let me see if I can clean up that Australian War Memorial pic of the S7E on Route 2. I'm pretty sure I was driving the scraper in this pic, because there was only myself and another operator on the 2 x S7's on this job - and the other operator was quite tubby. We operated without seatbelts, in case we hit a mine. Better to be blown up in the air, than cut in half with a seatbelt. We lost one S7E a little earlier to a 10lb shaped charge, it blew under the drivers wheel. We believe the shaped charge was possibly an RPG with a pile of explosive under it. The shaped charge blew the tire to shreds, shattered the rim, the planetary hub and the gears into a million pieces, shattered the brake drum, and then bored a hole in the bottom brake lining. The fuel tank was behind the drive wheel, that was totally destroyed in the blast, and a pile of burning fuel added to the drama. This pic was taken by little "Bluey" Ballard, one of my 17 Construction Sqdn buddies. The poor little bloke is dead now, and it looks like he gave all his 'Nam pics to the AWM. (picture copyright of the Australian War Memorial)
Welcome home Oz my time 66-67 in the Rivers Bob Armstrong ENC USN Ret (Stinkycat)
Bob, what was your job in 'Nam? The "ENC" in USN has me puzzled. Tell us more, I'll wager you have a story or two. I enjoyed being in the Engineers, beats being a grunt anyday. However, the grunts sure made our job a lot safer. I found an Aussie guys blog about his service in 'Nam as grunt. It's good reading. He was nearly everywhere I was, and due to the patrolling efforts of him and his buddies, we enjoyed working with less interruptions from the VC and NVA. http://veteransmissout.blogspot.com.au/ His story is pretty long, 56 chapters, it starts from when he joined up. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on "older posts" to get back to Chapter 1.
Oz The ENC is the rating and the rank the EN is for diesel and the C is for Chief Petty Officer. I did slow river cruises in the Delta. I worked on Detroit's from the 53 series to EMD 645's with some Cats, and Cummins and ALCO, Fairbanks Morse, a few unknown in this day and age Union and Enterprise, and the the Navy Standard engine (junk)