Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Some wild crane operating

.RC. ยท 2014-12-07 05:33

Here is some wild crane operating.. OSHA might not like it... The job got done though... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4p0g6NeUcI

Replies5
  1. #1td25c2014-12-08 22:16

    Old boy done a nice job rebuilding the mill . Positioned the Dodge knuckle boom truck perfect for the lift .Then set the head unit in partly with the boom and climbed up to put the finishing touch on by lowering the chain hoist . Looked like he knew what he was doing and was not afraid of the job .:thumbsup Worked on a few older style wind mills myself .

  2. #2.RC.2014-12-11 20:40

    Oh well OK I will fess up that it is me... I am not a crane operator and was wanting to get an impartial viewpoint on my operating skills... Although that was the first time I had ever used a crane for a job, and did stuff a few things up as you can easily see in the video.. Having done about six more since then, things are done a bit differently as in I lift it high clear of the tower, then slew across to position, then lower..

  3. #3td25c2014-12-11 22:01

    Nice work .RC. ! Those chain hoist rigs sure come in handy at times . We keep one in every truck . I will try to view your other videos soon , they looked interesting using the machine tools in the shop .

  4. #495zIV2014-12-12 21:52

    Mostly that's the one problem with a knuckle boom, there is no straight line up and down with them and winches are few and far between on them too. I do like the idea with the chain hoist.

  5. #5td25c2014-12-12 23:21

    Good point 95zIV . Sometimes when working alone I will use a chain hoist on the crane mainline when setting something that's tough to line up like a gear box shaft or getting the bolts started in a flange . Get the load close with the crane then hop out and use the chain hoist to do the final positioning much like .RC. did on the windmill set . To many tasks to list where those chain hoist rigs came in handy . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?51-Fwd-Trucks&p=1251&viewfull=1#post1251