Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Somebody educate me on bucket teeth

TheOldMan ยท 2012-02-23 15:53

My of 580C is missing two teeth on the bucket. no telling how long the PO dug w/o them. This is my first piece of construction equipment, so I know nothing about much. It looks to me like the remaining teeth have a dimple in the side of the shank, and the tooth has an are "hammered" into that dimple. Does that sound feasible? How do I tell if the shanks that are missing teeth are usable? From what I read, the application determines the type of tooth one should use. I'm in Florida (sand) want to dig stumps, so need something aggressive to tear pine roots. Where do I start?

Replies9
  1. #1alrman2012-02-23 16:13

    Re: the bucket teeth - the type you are describing is really old school - if using them on roots they will get stuck in them & you will lose alot of them. Probably best to upgrade it to a more modern system, using lock pins & with a tooth that you can readily buy locally. That means changing the shanks. My advice to you though, that if alot of tree removal work is wanting to be done - best invest in a ripper attatchment. money, money, money, must be funny, in a rich man's world..............

  2. #2Tinkerer2012-02-23 16:30

    I have the same shanks and teeth you describe on my 680C. I lost too many teeth by using them with the dimple pounded in like they are designed to be used. For a long time now I have been welding the teeth to the shanks. A good heavy bead on the front of the tooth and another on the back. It is not very difficult out replace worn out teeth even after welding them this way. I have moved a lot of broken concrete (and I mean BIG pieces!) with them welded on and have not yet broken a shank. If you do weld them on be sure that the tooth is laying flat on the front of the shank. I had a couple of them that weren't and they broke at the welds in a very short amount of time.

  3. #3TheOldMan2012-02-23 16:44

    I'm not much of a welder, although I do have a good machine. To upgrade, I guess one would have to cut the old shank from the bucket and attach new ones, then pin on the teeth. I like tinkerers idea of just welding teeth on to the existing shanks. Then, down the road, if an upgrade becomes necessary, cut the whole thing off. Where and what do I buy to weld on?

  4. #4packratc2012-02-23 18:51

    I went to a hardware place that also rents machines. They had teeth in stock for sale. Cheaper than I thought. Packratc

  5. #5trevor b2012-02-23 19:53

    up here they are around $10.00 per tooth i lost 2 or 3 then quit using the lock pin's and went to 5/8 grade 8 bolt's haven't lost one since

  6. #6Tinkerer2012-02-23 21:38

    Here is a link to an online Case Parts Dealer. Lots of options for your bucket if it takes the 23 series parts. http://www.colemanequip.com/CategoryListings.asp?CategoryID=50

  7. #7Bill Smith2012-02-24 07:11

    In some job sites bucket teeth are restricted , such as pipeline locates etc etc

  8. #8TheOldMan2012-02-24 08:37

    How do you determine what series teeth fit?

  9. #9Tinkerer2012-02-24 08:53

    Somehow you would have to determine who made your bucket. If it is an OEM by Case you could go by the info. on this web page. If I were to replace a shank and tooth assembly I would cut one off of my bucket and take it to a local Case dealer and let them figure out which ones to get. They could also show you what your tooth style options are. I would sure want shanks that have holes in them for the pinned teeth. http://www.colemanequip.com/Parts_Detail.asp?partID=21578