Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Soon to be heavy equipment mechanic..

mader121 ยท 2011-04-10 09:28

hey guys im currently working on becoming a heavy equipment mechanic just wondering what tools im going to need in the trade. I have most basic tools already such as 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets and wrenches from 3/8 to 1 1/4 plus all pliers and screwdrivers and much much more. Just wondering if someone could give me a list of some of there tools that they use the most and think are the most important for someone starting off....thanks!

Replies13
  1. #1Lee-online2011-04-10 10:21

    Wrenches up to at least 1-5/8. a big adjustable. Torque wrenches 3/8 and a 1/2 drive to start with. Allen wrench's, socket ones up to 3/4. I also use a 12mm and 14mm the most. Torques bits. Sockets up to 1-1/2 and then get the bigger ones you use the most, for me its 38mm and a 46mm and a 1-7/8 BFH's and big pry bars. Good quality multimeter like a Fluke. calipers. i have digital that are standard and metric. You will never have enough tools. as you see what type of jobs you do you will see tools to make that job easier.

  2. #2willie592011-04-10 10:40

    12", 15", and 18" adjustable wrenches. I have marked graduations (inch scale) on mine with an engraver and find them very handy to check the size of various hyd fittings i'm working on, use it to figure out what size wrenches I need to haul up on the machine. SnapOn offset wrenches are a handy tool disconnecting hyd fittings in difficult positions, don't bother purchasing any other offset wrench because Snappy is the only brand that has a 30 degree and 60 degree offset on the wrench heads, all other brands are 15 degree and 60 degree offset. Small, medium, and larger tongue and groove pliers. Small, medium, and large ball peen hammers.

  3. #3koldsteele2011-04-10 10:59

    Well Mader like Atco said a set of off set wrenches is a must ..I own Snap-on but I buy a cheap set so when you need to make a wrench you dont feel bad for cuttin one in half... Also look for used tools on Ebay and other such sales..As long as its name brand you cant go wrong ..One more thing i see guys do wrong when starting out DO NOT buy a brand new toolbox ...Invest your money else where..

  4. #4Lee-online2011-04-10 11:37

    I have the snapon off set wrenches in the large sizes. I use them daily. I purchased them through the cat dealer i work for. Cat sells tools, they are snapon, some are still marked snapon and some are marked cat, either way, our dealership sells them to their mechanics at 7% below cost. If you think you may work for a dealer you may want to hold off on some of the more expensive tools and purchase them there. I agree with Koldsteele. A tool box is a huge expense if you buy a new one from a tool truck. I have decent toolbox from a big box store for most of the tools, a roll around cart for the common tools i use the most, a wooden cabinet i made for other misc tools and a work bench where i store even more tools and things. I see $6k+ tool boxes with empty draws, save that money for tools and pack them in the box you have.

  5. #5heavylift2011-04-10 11:59

    heck craftmans boxes are a good box and can be had for under 200 bucks on sale... I have one thats over 30 yeas old..still work great and hold tools the same as a 3 grand box. now days you see the big brand name boxes on craigslist.. any where from 3 grand to 12 grand. hit the auctions, flea markets, garage and estate sales, the later two are usually the best, if and when they have no idea the value of a tool 3 bucks 3/8 breaker bar and 4 bucks for a 1/2, both craftsman 1/4 mac ratchet and a few odd special sockets 7 bucks. I think it a 50 dollar ratchet off the truck. sales are your friend , not the guy on the truck..

  6. #6RobVG2011-04-10 12:45

    A digital dial caliper and other measuring tools. So mader121, what are you doing now to become a hem? School? Just working your way up? Good luck, Rob

  7. #7SKM Excavation2011-04-10 16:36

    Snapon 18v cordless impact most used of all my tools. I have stepped away from the trade and i am getting more involved in my buisness. But over the 6-7 years i pulled wrenches i can guess i have nearly $25,000 invested in tools and trust me i know people that have more than that you have to decide if its what you wanna do and if you see youreself staying in it it is worth it to buy the tools you will need to be the best at what you do. Myself i have been getting out of it in the last year or so i have not bought any new tools in a while. However i am looking more at shop tooling now to keep my own equipment going A/C machine,welder,ect.... I guess be prepared to spend alot to get started Mac tools has a plan that if you are enrolled in a red seal trade you can make a one time purchase at 50% off so you could buy $8,000 worth of tools for $4,000 defeniatly worth checking out if you are enrolled in a journeyman red seal trade.

  8. #8rare ss2011-04-11 06:56

    get a really good 3/8 drive kit.. snapon ratchet and extension's, 3/4 drive kit will be handy too but you dont need to go top shelf for those.. cordless gear seems to be all the rage rage at the moment but i'm not sure they last the distance, I still have the original blue point rattle gun, air chiesl, die grinder and buffer wheel from when i started my time 12+ years ago and they havent missed a beat

  9. #9jeff1122011-04-11 18:56

    You will use some long extensions and swivels,some good pry bars, brass hammer,big hammer,pick set for seals.

  10. #10rare ss2011-04-12 08:11

    ohh and oxy.. gotta have oxy/acet gear you'll be f&#ked without it haha

  11. #11boatdoc2011-04-12 11:07

    Don't forget a good slide-hammer , bearing separator and a coupler of pullers with various jaws. And good luck!

  12. #12komatsukid2018-12-01 19:03

    A good set of crows feet up to 1 1/2. 3/4 drive ratchet and socket set. Impacts, both 1/2 and 3/4 drive (air cat makes a great impact for a great price.) These are a few things that I use a lot.

  13. #13Bumpsteer2018-12-01 19:57

    FYI, on the cordless tools.....Mac is owned by Stanley, black & decker. The Mac cordless are red DeWalts. Ed