Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

speciality wrenches

oldram ยท 2013-10-27 21:58

Hello, regrets if this is a FAQ. Could not find by searching. I have a 69' ford 4500, with 755 backhoe that has a leaking crowder hose. I might end up just replacing them all. Some (most) don't look too fun to get a normal wrench on. The particular JIC fittings take 1" and 1-1/16". Apparently, some cut and grind their own custom wrenches, but was inquiring if any commercial made products get the job done a bit easier. Any info or tips to get this job done, appreciated. It's just a farm beater, but I wan to keep it operational, eventually restoring.

Replies17
  1. #1mikebramel2013-10-27 22:06

    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=24&Ntt=crowfoot

  2. #2eric122013-10-27 22:29

    these are pretty handy for replacing hoses where you can't get a regular wrench on it. hope this is what your looking for. http://www.amazon.com/Williams-BCF3...=1382927314&sr=8-2&keywords=williams+crowfoot

  3. #3willie592013-10-27 22:32

    As mikebramel posted, sometimes you can use crowfoot wrenches, sometimes not. One tool I have found useful working with hydraulic hose fittings is Snapon angle head wrenches. Compared to a standard wrench, say a 1" combination wrench, they are much shorter, able to get in tighter places. Also, one end is a 30 degree angle, the opposite end is a 60 degree angle. Don't bother purchasing any other brand than Snapon for these wrenches, all other brands are a 15 and 60 degree offset, only Snapon has the 30 and 60 offset. A standard combination or open end wrench is a 15 degree offset. So you're only buying a half a wrench if you buy any other brand angle wrench as you likely already have a standard (15 degree) wrench in your box. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=633586&group_ID=675025

  4. #4ValleyFirewood2013-10-27 23:13

    I would just go buy a set of reg wrenches from Harbor Freight and make my own angled ones before dropping $2400 on a set! Holy crap!

  5. #5willie592013-10-27 23:20

    He said he only needed 1" and 1 1/6" ValleyFirewood. I in no way suggested he go out and purchase a full set that he would likely never need.

  6. #6curb guy2013-10-27 23:26

    Some killer deals on snap on angle wrenches on e-bay....

  7. #7RobVG2013-10-29 12:27

    how do you delete a post?

  8. #8RobVG2013-10-29 12:29

    I've used one of those but couldn't find it in metric. Had to use a hose clamp to close it down.

  9. #9mitch5042013-10-29 20:23

    I've spent a lot of time under fords with 753 and 755 hoes on them. The wrenches I use most on them are service wrenches. http://m.grainger.com/mobile/details/;jsessionid=DD59A86D56D9A4034D5F54458283EBDB.prlap550?R=1GF24 You can usually break the fittings loose with regular open ends, but can't screw them off in one day with them. Service wrenches aren't for loosening or final tightening of the fittings, but good ones will take whatever you can put on them by hand. The angle wrenches Willie was talking about are handy too. Most of mine aren't Snapon, because I owned them before he told me about the Snapon being different angles. With both of these, don't buy junk. If you round off a fitting in there, you can make an hours aggravation into 2 days worth of frustration when you see how much you have to disassemble.

  10. #10ValleyFirewood2013-10-29 21:10

    I realize that Willie. I just I never would have guessed those wrenches would cost that much! I have a stubby set from I think 3/8" to 1" that I got through gov surplus. I paid maybe $0.50 a lb for the tools I got. Haven't used them much, but handy when needed!

  11. #11his19112013-10-30 22:10

    I'll second the service wrenches. Break them loose with a wrench,a double angle wrench, or crowsfoot.whatever. works, then finish removal/install with the service wrench.

  12. #12Randy882013-10-31 19:28

    I've got plenty of different degree angle wrenches, not sure of the exact angles, but a cutting torch to heat them up and tweak them to whatever you need works great for me, so if you need something other than the standard 15 degree, 30, or 60, bend them to whatever angle you need, sometimes frustration isn't worth the cost of a wrench, I also don't buy snap on wrenches for those to be heated and bent, I go grab a cheap one instead to modify.

  13. #13wilko2013-11-01 18:50

    I'm guessing that might affect the warranty. When I was a kid working at the parts store we had a customer bring back a one-inch breaker bar that was bent like a banana. He'd leaned on it a bit with the blade on the D9. The tool rep replaced it, but said not to do it again.

  14. #14randy792013-11-03 09:50

    What are service wrenches you guys are talking about. They might have different names that I would know. For me crows foot and angle wrenches work. My angle wrenches are sunex and love them

  15. #15mitch5042013-11-03 11:53

    Little thin short open end wrenches. Not for first loosening or final tightening. The sides of the head are thinner, too, so they will usually let you have a few degrees more than even an angle wrench where fittings are close together, like on a valve bank. See the link I posted a few posts back in this thread.

  16. #16randy792013-11-03 21:46

    Ok I got it thanks

  17. #17crazy-mp2013-11-14 00:29

    I got a set from my local NAPA store for around 75 bucks they are some made in china special but that different angle has saved me plenty of times. I couldn't justify snap on mans price for those wrenches when its a one fitting every 4 month wrench. I think my set goes from 3/8 to 1 1/4 angles are 15 and 60 degree.