Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Spent a couple days in an old 760 Champion…

562C ยท 2011-08-13 18:22

Was on holidays from work, got hired for a couple days to run an old 760 in a gravel pit. Pretty sure it dated to about 1975. 6V92 detroit diesel, torque converter drive, 14 foot moldboard, 3 speeds hi/lo.... Very loud! twin pipes to mufflers pointed back, but still loud. Had loads of power, but it should with that much engine. hard on fuel. I knew they built a few with a torque converter instead of a clutch but I'd never driven one. Glad I had the chance, but I'll stick to my 562 if they ever sell it!

Replies3
  1. #102Dmax2011-08-13 22:37

    company I used to work for had a 760 with the 4 cylinder detroit in it. Had to put cotton swabs in and then put on earphones. haha. It was a turd though, that 4 cylinder with the torque converter was miserable, and you had to shift ranges by getting out and using a screwdriver to move the shaft.

  2. #2562C2011-08-14 07:46

    This one would shift ranges not TOO bad, but the 1/2/3 shifter was tough. Only could get 2 or 3 without getting out.... Torque converter took getting used to. thought I had wheels slipping a few times until I realized I just needed to feed more fuel! Brakes would have been nice too....

  3. #302Dmax2011-08-14 16:03

    Haha, they must all be the same. If you fill the master cylinder up on ours first thing in the morning you might still have brakes at lunch if you didn't use them too much. We rarely had it on the road or somewhere we actually needed brakes, just drop the moldboard.