Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Split duals?

NepeanGC ยท 2020-07-19 10:50

What's this config called - never seen one of these before in Ontario. I've seen something similar before on lowbeds in California, but wasn't sure what the proper name was. Looks like it has lots of brakes, but might tow like crap because of the fact the wheels don't sit in the grooves of the pavement? Anyone towed or owned something like this before?

Replies40
  1. #192U 34062020-07-19 11:14

    What in the crystal meth? We run 16 and 24 wheel lowbeds/jeeps in Alberta but they're duals not singles.

  2. #2CM19952020-07-19 11:34

    Looks like "Multi-Max" suspension which is an abortion Econoline trailers dreamt up. Sure is fun changing and inner blowout with a JD 310 on it on the side of the Interstate.. https://econolinetrailers.com/super-max/

  3. #3funwithfuel2020-07-19 11:39

    Looks like sawed off dexter axles with electric brakes. Sure wouldn't wanna drag one of those around. Looks like a lot of unnecessary scrubbing and dragging in tight turns as well.

  4. #4colson042020-07-19 14:00

    I'm looking for a tag trailer to haul a 310... There's a few for sale locally and I'm not gonna bother looking at them. All I can see is a blown inner tire on a busy street in the rain.

  5. #5CM19952020-07-19 15:13

    Econoline's are made here in AL as well as Betterbuilt. Betterbuilt trailer makes a good trailer. I have a BB 55K dual tandem tag special ordered from them. It's been a good trailer.

  6. #6suladas2020-07-19 16:15

    Wonder what sort of weight that's legal for? I can't see each tire being good for 3,500lbs. I wonder if most places even have a regulation on what weight it's good for. 2 12k axles would be much better.

  7. #7NepeanGC2020-07-19 19:11

    I don't have any intention to buy it. I'm quite happy with my CAM 12 ton...this was just up for sale cheap...Looks like the previous owner has solved the inner tire change problem. I do like the idea of more braking force, but swapping my 12k axles to hydraulic disc would probably solve that.

  8. #8repowerguy2020-07-19 19:24

    Yeah what CM said. Econoline Backhoe Pro's generally used 14.5" Dayton style wheels that melted like ice cream in July because alignment was impossible to maintain due to the short axle span. Most guys regretted ever buying one due to blowouts at the worst possible times. Lots of guys resorted to using mobile home tires because they lasted just as long.

  9. #9Willie B2020-07-19 19:38

    CM mentioned Econoline trailers. I had a triaxle 9 ton. It had odd sized tires I could only find Chinese. I couldn't keep a tire on it!. I bought a staggering number of new tires! Each trip was another blowout. Sidewall seemed to belly, then It'd pop off the rim. Last trip I lost a wheel. Didn't know for several miles. I can't see tires in the mirror until I turn. Ultimately, I decided I was going to kill someone. Now I have a 2006 Cam Superline, Budd wheels, new tires, heaviest I can buy, made in USA. I don't know a lot about those 4 short axle trailers. They seem to always be electric brakes, 10 or 12 ton. Crawling under beside the highway to change a tire does not seem fun. I've seen a couple with the suspension ripped loose.

  10. #10Old Doug2020-07-19 20:15

    I never saw one with 2 springs per axle most have just one.

  11. #11RTSmith2020-07-20 17:14

    I sold the Econolines years ago. Their sales pitch for the Multi-Max suspension is it gave you a lot of brakes, the frame was wider for more stability, and the axles could float better in rough terrain. All probably true points. The axle had a way to align it on the spring saddle, and yes changing tires was awful. As mentioned here they carried a 14.5 mobile home tire, that Econoline had welded a Budd style rim to a solid center drilled with lug holes. But all in all, it was rated at 12 tons, and was substantially cheaper than a traditional dual tandem. 4 little 6,000 axles would be cheaper than 2 10Ks. So they sold. Back then, there just weren't as many manufacturers out there as now. A lot of folks around here bought them because that's all that was available. That's my history lesson of the day.

  12. #12DMiller2020-07-20 17:24

    Only saw ONE and walked away from it as well, nothing better than a standard Tandem Dual Wheel axle system.

  13. #13Willie B2020-07-20 17:27

    The triaxle 9 ton had a weird linkage in the suspension. It seemed to me the axles were always floating out of alignment. Spring hangers were a severe weak point. One day it was dragging hard on a gravel road. I stopped to see the middle axle moved back enough to rub tires with the rear axle. Drove the backhoe home after binding the axle with no tire on it, then limped the empty trailer home. I turned it upside down, and overhauled the spring hangers, replacing some, reinforcing others. All said & done it was a very expensive trailer. I can't remember a successful trip with it.

  14. #14dixon7002020-07-20 21:51

    I've seen that on super loads, but never a little pickup trailer.... . I have a '16 load trail 7ton dump trailer that has been excellent to me. If I were to get something bigger it would be another load trail or load Maxx(same company, different divisions) I could only go to a 8 ton trailer to stay out of CDL class A and needing a larger truck to be legal.

  15. #15Truck Shop2020-07-20 22:03

    The popular trailer around here.

  16. #1692U 34062020-07-20 23:13

    This is what we run out in Alberta. 80 ton 24 wheel bed.

  17. #17dixon7002020-07-20 23:35

    Normally when I've seen axles of that style down here in PA, it has a lot more.

  18. #18Willie B2020-07-21 08:56

    Huh? Vermont law, I thought was same as everybody else. Here a trailer over 10,000 loaded capacity needs CDL. The law is specific. Then, later it says if truck & trailer exceeds 26000. As the law isn't specific which is the case, I'm not clear how the enforcement types handle it.

  19. #19colson042020-07-21 10:18

    Just get the CDL. It cost me less than $500 for written tests, skills test and truck rental for my skills test, and about 6 hours total doing everything broke up over a couple different days. Regulators and law makers are revamping the commercial drivers licensing program to mandate 3 weeks classroom training for new CDL applicants. From what I was told, this is supposed to begin in 2021 or 2022, which will make the cost of getting a CDL substantially higher than it is today. Also, if you only need a HD pick-up and trailer, test with that. You just won't have your air brakes endorsement.

  20. #20RTSmith2020-07-21 10:56

    Wow. Had not heard that. we do a lot of horse trailers that when on a 1 ton truck, classify to needing a CDL. And folks fuss to no end about it and few actually do it. This will make it even worse....

  21. #21dixon7002020-07-21 12:14

    My gcwr are below 26k so no cdl required. If your gcwr is over 17,001 lbs or gvwr if the truck is over 10,001 lb you are required to have a dot medical card. My truck is 10k and my trl is 14k so I'm under 26k, therefore no cdl required. Now if I had a 1ton I'd need a CDL. My truck is also only registered to a class 8 combination so I'd also have to register my truck higher and that's already a retarded $540 a year. I think I'm gonna get my CDL this year. I think it's $350 at Kip's bus service and you even use their vehicles.

  22. #22Willie B2020-07-21 12:35

    For me CDL exam was a frustration nightmare. Written test went fine. I studied the manual. The test is really a word for word test of the language in the manual. They are not testing your skill, or understanding of law. They want word for word exactly what the manual says. A correct answer that doesn't exactly quote the manual is an incorrect answer. Made my appointment for the road test that day. I would not need a medical card if I didn't drive out of state. For my road test I needed a truck & trailer worthy of a fine tooth comb inspection, a trailer likewise. I had to be accompanied by a CDL driver. I made a deal with my son's boss. Arriving for the road test, they asked for my medical card. "You said I wouldn't need one." Well, the law is changing in July, we're enforcing it early. I made my appointment with my doctor. I arrived for the exam, he informed me he no longer does CDL exams. Doctor had a little argument with his office staff, he thought I couldn't hear. Finally he did give the exam. He explained, "There is a week long course for MDs to be certified to give the test. I'm qualified to teach it, but without wasting a week, I'm not qualified to examine you." Next road test, I failed the pre trip inspection. "You didn't inspect the headboard, or running gear on the trailer." I answered "It doesn't have either of those features!" He says, "You should have mentioned that." "Also, you didn't inspect the windshield, or mirrors" I drove to Rutland, I'd have noticed a problem. Next appointment, I made by phone. When I showed up they had no record of me having an appointment. By the last appointment my CDL driver backed out on me days before the test. I scrambled, spent $2000 on my truck, found a different CDL driver, a retired trucker who kept his CDL. That time I spent two hours on the pre trip inspection. I pointed out the trailer had no landing gear, or headboard. I inspected the windshield, and mirrors, even wiped a smudge on the passenger side. I'm sure he HATED me! He finally called it off, said he had other tests to do same day. The road test went fine. I was a little cock eyed backing into the loading dock, but legal.

  23. #23Truck Shop2020-07-21 12:50

    When I retire in a few years I will drop the CDL. I use to like to drive but not much anymore.

  24. #2492U 34062020-07-21 14:17

    Glad they aren't ****tards about the phrasing or language we use on our test up here. They want to see understanding vs word for word receitment of the book. At least that was my experience anyways.

  25. #25suladas2020-07-21 21:07

    You got lucky. My experience was different. When taking my class 3 test I argued with the examiner for docking me for "late lane change" I told him it was to test my driving skills, not follow his crappy directions because IMO his "were turning here" was too late for the intersection he wanted me to turn at. Passed as that was my only thing but it's more the point of it. Class 1 written test is stupid. I failed because I didn't study schoolbus or some other TDG BS. Road test awful too. I failed first time on pre trip I was docked for things like not checking mirrors, hydraulic tank cap, not checking to make sure wipers work, etc. I put on 4 ways to check signal lights, but apparently that's not acceptable either. Just stupid. The part I cannot understand is, how does a pre trip not involve opening the hood? Or checking oil level in hubs, etc? But you better say a cap is tight or get docked. I got cocky the first time and just did a pre trip the way I did for the last 10 years, not how the dumb book wants it done. And of course after the test back to common sense pre trips. I'm just happy to be done with it and not need to deal with this new garbage they brought in. Just a medical every 5 years.

  26. #26Don.S2020-07-21 21:48

    I got caught behind a truck whos fuel tank cap was open. Sure wish he had checked it on his pre trip so i would not have to eat diesel all over my windshield and only realize after the wipers were used.

  27. #27Steve Frazier2020-07-21 22:00

    That configuration was pretty common back in the sixties and early seventies.

  28. #28suladas2020-07-21 22:09

    There's a difference between being off and actually on though. And well a difference between a driver who knows their truck and a clueless one. In many cases you can visually see if something like a fuel cap is on properly or not.

  29. #2992U 34062020-07-22 00:31

    My examiner was good. No tricks, no last 2nd directions etc. I think we're lucky compared to the US when it comes to licencing and commercial licenses. Seems like we have so much less crap to wade through.

  30. #3092U 34062020-07-22 00:33

    Oh the thing with not opening the hood. I was told some moron threw their back out trying to open the hood years ago and made an injury claim over it so now no hoods get opened.

  31. #31redneckracin2020-07-22 11:01

    I took my test at Kips (Curwensville, PA and it was $450 a few years ago. They used an old F800 box truck and triaxle car trailer. Very easy to maneuver if you have ever driven a goose neck or little longer trailer around. I used their stuff since I knew it would pass the inspection and I wouldn't need a cdl license holder to drive over with me with my setup. I think they have since upgraded the truck but I don't get by there too often.

  32. #32dixon7002020-07-22 19:34

    I knew it was some price like that. All I know is many have been going there for their cdl's for years n years.

  33. #33Truck Shop2020-07-22 20:40

    Again laughable, I got my CDL 45 years ago or so. Truck owner signed my ticket for a written test, I took the test, I got my chauffeurs licence. That was it in them days. You fellers should have been born sooner.

  34. #34NepeanGC2020-07-22 20:54

    My class A was a breeze when I did it, wrote a test, did a pre-trip, drove a truck and trailer for about 30 mins, and away I went. We're getting one of the guys trained up this year...$10k and 103 hours of minimum training...Luckily we get significant government subsidies.

  35. #3592U 34062020-07-22 21:18

    I'm a firm believer that you're either born with the ability to handle a truck or you're not. No amount of training will turn a non-driver into a driver IMO.

  36. #36Truck Shop2020-07-22 21:33

    You said a mouthful, either your a wheel man or your not. Same goes for about everything else too.---Most people setting behind the wheel herd what their driving, they don't drive it. {Yah mule-Yah get along there you lop eared galoot!.

  37. #37Don.S2020-07-22 21:43

    I did my license last year and honestly it should be harder to get. I was able to remeber a bunch of stuff to point at and say it is good and i drove around with a 53' trailer in town with out hitting anything and could shift. I always joke that the pointy end goes forward and thats all you need to know. It works around here in flat country but i have no idea what to do if i had to come down a real hill.

  38. #38Truck Shop2020-07-22 22:17

    Oregon DOT is always dressing the gravel on the escape ramps on Cabbage Hill I-84. The Midwest flat lander's come down flashers a-flashing and some smoke a rolling out behind. You can smell them when they are a half mile ahead of you. Frozen starring ahead with a death grip on the wheel looking like a cigar store Indian.

  39. #39Don.S2020-07-22 22:45

    But i know pointy end goes forward and if i i get in a jam the flat end can go backwards. All jokes aside i can put a truck where i need but its pretty scary how easy it is to get a license.

  40. #40Willie B2020-07-23 08:18

    In Vermont no Rocky Mountain long hills, but 25% grades are not rare. Up or down, a 17000 LB backhoe on a 5000 lb trailer puts a real load on a 427 GM truck engine. It's bottom gear only either way & coming down I thank God the hill is only half mile long, the brakes can cool. I have one hill I do now & then 8 miles long, some of it 10% grade. That's the reason for the change to diesel. I love the Allison & Cat combination going down hill!