hello, I do not know if you can help in any case the question, should I move a parallel lathe 4 meters long 80cm wide 5 tons heavy so I still need a face-lift spreader beams agganciarci cables and lift it safely could help me resize this frame lifting which beam you advise me to use? thanks to those who will want to help me View attachment 146295 View attachment 146296 View attachment 146297 View attachment 146298
The pictures aren't coming through. Post #9 in this thread shows a good sized lathe being lifted with a crane. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/lifting-american-pacemaker-256846/
We will rent this truck with crane I think it is capable of undertaking this lifting sling as I conceive the machine, whether it is sufficient to use straps or cables or if I need a spreader beams to distribute the load as the headstock of the machine to be lifted is heavier and could unbalance him being load, what do you think? http://www.tefa.it/web_site_b/progetto_05_file/intro_file/BILANCINO_01_B.GIF http://www.tefa.it/web_site_b/progetto_05_file/intro_file/BILANCINO_03_B.GIF
I move lathes all the time. Most of them can be lifted easily, by attaching one sling between the headstock and the chuck, and another sling to the bed casting on the tailstock side. No problems ever were encountered. Just make sure that slings cannot slip and are secure, prior to lifting. If you do not use a spreader, make sure that the angle between slings is small (that the slings used are long) This Monday I will be craning about 10 ton lathe, using a bridge crane.
That picture reminded me of the two lathes our company had at a location not far from where I worked. The last time I saw them they were sitting outside on a flat bead truck exposed to the weather. Sad to think of a piece of equipment being destroyed like that!
as you can see is wedged between the wall and pillar find much difficulty to move from that position, I tried to lift it with a binda (farm jack) 8 ton and put under iron pipes were crushed I almost hurt me because I slipped side, with the forklift I can not turn and maneuver too tight how would you weigh more than 5 tons has a heavy head is 4.50 meters long
Is that chip pan removable? Get a bigger jack, get lots of blocks, get SOLID round stock rollers, a pinch bar, a come along and some steel plate (6×1/2 flat bar) Reason you should bring steel plate is that the rollers will roll a lot better on them than on the concrete. Any little bit of dirt or crack will impede the movement of the roller. Do basically the same thing you tired to do, but with heavier stuff more suited for the job. http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/mebunting/library/Moving the Lodge and Shipley Here is 12,000 lbs being moved with machinery skates, those Hillman rollers aren't the greatest, but they got the job done. http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/mebunting/library/Moving the Pacemaker Here is 11,000lbs being moved in the mud. http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/mebunting/library/Moving the Hendey/Unloading the Hendey Here is how 17,000 lbs is unloaded when you only have one forklift and you need two. Rigging is no dark art, you just have to figure out how many shims plates blocks and jack you'll need, then double it. Don't get in a hurry, go slow and think many steps ahead, and you can literally move mountains.
If they had Pacemakers sitting outside (the lathe in the picture is a Pacemaker), that should be a crime punishable by death. Pacemakers in machine tool circles are widely accepted as being one of the best lathes ever made. Their we're many high end lathes, but it's something about those art-deco curves that makes Pacemakers special. As someone who has about 50ton of machine tools packed in grease and tarped waiting until I can get a building built, this old iron is pretty tough. The older (soft way cast iron machines) machines especially, the rust literally just pushes off with a scraper. If someone is so inclined, just about any machine is savable. If saving one on is worth the time to the individual, that's another story.
OK, the question in the title, though, is a good one: has anyone built a DIY spreader beam from an I-beam? I have some I-beams and no spreaders. I can build one and it does not seem to be rocket science. I can also test them afterwards, say lift a 30,000 lbs forklift.
Beware that the likelihood of making a decent living using your 50 tons of vintage metalworking machinery, is slim to none. I do not want to **** on your parade, but this is my firm belief. There are some minor exception to this, such as having the biggest lathe in an oil town, but overall, there is a reason why that stuff goes to scrap and hobbyists and south of the border. I buy and sell industrial stuff in Chicago and I also do scrap metal, so I have a fair amount of experience in this arena.
I hear where your coming from, I've seen you post on PM as well, and understand what your saying. And I do have some unique niche machines. Even though I call them junk, the only one that really is junk is the 1904 L&S. The others are still quite capable of making chips. Not to a jerk, but I'm not going to explain business plans in someone else thread. Especially when the business plan is so insane and complicated.
thanks for the tip, I tried to lift it with the jack and to support it in the pipes of iron, but it is very heavy and you are crushed, the floor is concrete and it is very old, I can not use the roller skates I tried with levers steel and muscles are insufficient the forklift can not do great maneuver, I still do as I have rightly suggested, put us under a sheet of steel plate, should also move the machines more large and heavy, therefore I thought of build a face-lift spreader beams with a steel beam to share the load weighing during lifting, thanks for the help and the right advice and suggestions http://www.peerlesschain.com/wp-content/uploads/SDLB-1.jpg http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/reviews/tools/vertical_mill/images/coming_down.jpg
Wish I had been involved directly in the the job done a couple years back by some guys I worked with, I would have taken some pictures. They had to move a large stone crusher out of the third story of a cement factory. I'm thinking this crusher weighed around 40-50 tons. There was no overhead clearance to hook a crane to it till it was moved to the opening in the wall about ten feet from where it was mounted. This project was about three hours from our location but at least they had someone who could look it over ahead of time so a plan could be thought up. What they came up with with a little help from me was a pair of H-beams that they laid down on blocking at the same height as the pad the crusher set on sorta like a pair or railroad tracks. Now just needed something to use as rollers, that's where I came in! As we used to do lots of engine rebuilding here I had save several old Cummins wrist pins, 2 inch o.d. and very strong they came in handy for blocking things up in the press. To move the crusher they used 50 ton hydraulic jack to lift it just enough to slip the wrist pins under it with a few extra to put in as it moved. Then using a couple chain jacks, one to pull and one to hold it back they slowly rolled it out on to the H-beams and into position to hook the hydraulic crane to it to lift it down on to the truck. A little funny thing was that our boss who was overseeing the project went to the office to ask that plants supervisor when the oversize permit would be available. That guy replied something to the effect, "What's the hurry, you won't need that for a couple days!" Our boss then told him our people were finishing up chaining the crushed on the trailer and will be ready to roll any minute! Guy then wanted to know if he could hire our people next time he needed something big moved! Not so much as a broken finger nail on a project some thought was close to impossible. Amazing what can be done if you let the right people do the job!
I have to find a way to pull out the local workshop machines or I can not use the crane for lifting, or winches lever or roller skates or dolli guise iron type rails or tubes for roll it and push and pull, you would maybe photos i draw inspiration, although i did not use trucks smallest operating room for maneuver for lifting and loading of dump trucks https://youtu.be/S--JdMW9vJg http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/bob_3103/DSCF0173.jpg http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/bob_3103/DSCF0174.jpg http://www.kepler-eng.com/images/monarch_model60_lift.jpg http://www.kepler-eng.com/images/monarch_model60_lift.jpg
If it is a fairly smooth flat floor from where is sits to where you can get to with your crane how about jacking up one end at a time and slip say a sheet of 1/4 steel under each end. Then cut a hole in each sheet to hook a chain to and slowly skid it out to where you can reach it?
I think this is just the language barrier, but why can't you use rollers? Heck if your really suck and don't know what to do, just call up a rigger.
Just noticed the above typo.
Something like that would work fine . I like your trick with the H beams & cummins wrist pins kshansen :thumbsup We lifted our lathe with jacks and then slid 4 x 6 wood beams under the legs . Secured them with carriage bolts . Sure made it handy when loading & unloading on the trailer . Slid it around with the Ford 4000 R/T crane . I suppose trombeur could do the same . Get a couple 14' 7x9 inch rail road ties & bevel the ends .
Good point ichudov . We built couple spreaders out of material I had laying around . Keep the 8 foot on the crane all the time . Built a 14 foot out of 3 " pipe frame from an old grain auger . Not got around to building a beam spreader . Haven't got in the low ceiling situation where we needed one yet . But as soon as I say that it will happen tomorrow . LOL !
Thanks. Looks very nicely done. I will get one made when I get time.
the roof is down 4.50 meters and 4 meters each there is a pillar so I can not enter with fork lift or with the pick and carry cranes, truck crane can not maneuver, the owner told me to place the machines has used many oiperai muscles accciaio levers and rods rolls round to make it move, I suggested using a winch puller to tow it out of the port of entry and position outside the crane for lifting and loading, the floor is concrete oldwhen we pass over with the cargo crumbles, I tried, I have to find a solution for it to slide off and do tilt of 90 ° http://www.molarditvm.it/default.php?t=site&pgid=14 http://www.autogrusandri.it/img/-1/3_div_DRAG-STAFF_CHILD_20140718_034700.png http://www.europages.com/filestore/product/b5/50/movimentazione_01_509be373.jpg https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...mJEcRRJcnUoWO77RNWbiOul-91DMLrNl9xXiGSUWTAxAr
I shouldn't take full credit for the idea, just for being a pack rat that never tossed out anything that could have another use. The working group leader guy, Ernie, is somewhat of a backwoods guy who has learned many ways to do things without all the fancy gizmos over the years. Get a tractor stuck in the mud? Just chain a couple strong logs to the spokes on the rear wheels and walk it out!
So your having problems figuring out how to turn around in the building? You just angle the rollers so the machine turns, or put in on greased steel plates. I've seen some people use greased UHMW (I think that's the plastic they used). As far as the floor being damaged by the machine, that's another reason to lay a good plate run way. Spreads the weight out and gives you a surface with lower friction. This video shows how I rotated this lathe around inside the building. If you don't have access to a forklift, you'll have to do all the work with jacks and a come-along. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7vpVi3YvgI Coincidentally, this was my first move with "real" iron. Never had and rigging experience prior to this move, looking back, many things I would have done different. Not having a forklift didn't seem to bother these guys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afvGStYT9xI
thanks guys if you have other tips or suggestions for Vito to write your own experiences need the mother of invention, perhaps with illustrative photos