Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sprokets?

JNB ยท 2015-06-30 20:52

As you can see by my avatar, my sprockets are shot. The right one (especially) is actually sharp on the ends. Yesterday, my tracks started popping like crazy cutting grade uphill. So my question is...with the original tracks at 1250 hrs. is it worth it to change out the sprockets and try to milk another 2-300 hrs out of the tracks? The tracks are at about 30%, but I do have a few deep cuts...no cords exposed.

Replies5
  1. #1Old Junk Man2015-06-30 22:01

    When a undercarriage is worn out its worn out. the sharp sprockets are caused by internal wear on the pins & bushings. that makes the distance longer and wears out the sprockets. Wast of money to mix nre undercarriage parts with worn out parts.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-06-30 22:11

    If it's a rubber track machine, the usual rules won't always apply. I would replace the sprockets with aftermarket, they're cheap relative to new tracks. Unless you have traction issues or missing steel lugs, I say run rubber tracks until they're rags or come apart, then replace tracks and sprockets. Hang onto sprockets that are worn but not worn out, put them back on and run them out when needed.

  3. #3JNB2015-07-01 08:02

    Yes, it's on my TR320, and thanks for the tip.

  4. #4JNB2015-07-16 08:46

    So I changed out the sprockets (prowler) and hogged out clay yesterday. No more track popping and quieter overall too. I'm hoping to get a couple hundred hours more out of these tracks.

  5. #5lantraxco2015-07-16 13:51

    Sounds good, let us know how it turns out