Hi I recently purchased a 2011 SR200 case skid steer. When I turned on the lights the engine died, it looks like one of the light ( left front) is new so maybe some wiring problem? I thought I read in the operators manual somewhere about over and under voltage protection, but don't see any codes. When turning on the light switch is just like pushing the power button. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on where to start looking
I'd try unhooking the left front light first. Steve
I got time to check some things out today. I tried unhooking all the lights and plugging them in one at a time. All the rear lights came on like they should but when I plugged in either the left or right front the engine died. Next I looked at the relays the one for the rear lights is the same as the front so I tried trading them and that made no difference. I also connected the light fixtures to a battery separate from the machine and all lights lit up fine.I was thinking I should check the switch but since the rear lights are working fine I doubt that it is the problem. Thanks Steve
Is this a tier 4 machine? Does the blower motor still work in all the speeds? These machines had lots of grounding issues. There may be ground fuses at the rear left of the machine, under a cap, inline in the harness. Check those if you have. What I have seen before, is the relays have bad grounds, and when you put too much load on the relay, the relay opens. Sounds to me like the main relay is opening when you turn on the lights. Check your relays, if one has a bad ground usually it will hum. If you think you have a bad ground/relay just jump it from pin 30 to 87, and see if it works. Its probably your run relay that has a issue.
Think it is a tier 3. The blower does work fine in all speeds. I will look for the ground fuses tomorrow and check the relay for humming. Is there a good way to correct the grounding issues? Thank you for the information
I usually just run a new ground wire from the relay to the frame. Verify that is your issue first.
Is that new light wired with a plug in connector or spiced in, if spliced in the wires could have got mixed up with the hot wire going to the ground. Steve
The light fixture is a new factory replacement with plug in connection. I don't think it is the wiring at the fixture. I looked for the fuses at the rear of the machine and found the block but it has no cover on it and it only has one fuse in it. My operators manual shows no mention of these fuses so I will have to get some information on what fuses are supposed to be in there. Once I get that step done maybe something will start working. Thanks, Steve
Should have 3 fuses in there. I think they are all 1 amp fuses. They are the ground fuses for your relays, so if they are blown or not there you will have relay issues.
Thank you GaryHoff I down loaded a service manual some 1700 pages which will come in handy anyway but so far I have not found anything about ground fuses. This information is a big help
After looking closer, the wiring harness in the back of the machine is not a fuse holder. I think it is for plugging in a acc. I did narrow the problem to the #1 light relay circuit. When I unplug this relay I can turn on the light switch and engine does not die, and when the switch is turned to the far position the side lights come on which are in the same fixture as the front lights. When I plug in the relay I hear a arcing noise like something is shorted and the engine dies. So I will be checking all of the wiring from this relay ground and load till I find the problem. It was -20F here yesterday morning and since this is not a emergency I don't spend a whole lot of time on this but I am sure I will figure it out if I keep at it. Thanks
Sounds like your on the right track, you must be in northern Mn. It was only -8 here in central Mn. Steve
One of the other quick things to check is the fuse box itself. They were bad for getting water in them and melting. The ground fuses are a tricky thing. They didn't even draw them in the first schematics, or make any mention of them anywhere. Its not a standard fuse cap, they are all grouped together under one cap.
And being 2 amp they are not that easy to find.
Well I and a friend were checking voltage and connections at the fuse/relay box and after pulling out the headlight fuse and plugging it back in they started working.I really don't know what we did to fix anything but I am sure if there is a problem it will show up again. Thank you all for the information and if anyone else has this problem hopefully checking the fuse connection may help. If I find something else I will post it
Thanks for the update, I've had to use electrical contact cleaner in my fuse box on my 75xt, both the headlights and heater motor but that didn't make the motor quit. Steve