Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

SSQA for CASE 580

farmn ยท 2025-04-02 13:29

I have a Case 580SL series 2 that I'd like to put an SSQA on. I'm thinking about adding a a plate with quick couplers using my existing bucket clam lines. At some point I'd like to add a hydraulic thumb also. I tried searching the forum and it doesn't seem to allow logical operators (case and thumb) so I get a lot to sift through. Is there a better way to search? Also, I'd like some thoughts from people who have done these mods. Can I add an extra spool to the hydros or should I add switches to existing circuits?

Replies6
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-04-03 01:40

    I'm not sure a skid steer quick attach or attachments would hold up very long on a much heavier backhoe.

  2. #2farmn2025-04-03 07:13

    There are some pretty beefy skid steers nowadays?

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-04-03 17:35

    That weigh 15,000lbs. plus? Would need the heaviest quick attach made and would have to be careful pushing on the corners.

  4. #4MG842025-04-03 18:32

    You're going to have to custom build it and as mentioned it will have to be VERY stout. Look at what Case is using on the TV620B/DL550 and copy that, I doubt anything less would hold up. Same for buckets/attachments, you'll need the heaviest stuff made.

  5. #5farmn2025-04-03 20:21

    I was originally planning to fabricate the SSQA. I found out that several companies make them with Worksaver being the best known. I think their adapter is rated at 5000lbs. I understand that the backhoe is outsized for the SSQA. I'm hoping that I can use standard attachments and just not not push them too hard. Good point about the corners, I need to think about the weak spots. I have a Case dealer nearby. I don't know if they have a TV620B but I'll certainly check. That thing is a beast!

  6. #6Welder Dave2025-04-03 23:18

    It's almost impossible to not push lighter duty attachments too hard. You're in the middle of a job and have just one more stump or whatever to dig out. It's a little bigger but it handled the smaller stumps fine so you figure it will also be fine. That's when you discover it's too light and is twisted up. Just need to read the thread about the thumb ripping off the stick. You need attachments to be up to the strength of the machine. Even then bad things can happen.