In my area (metro dc area) there is plenty of work, but as Im new to the scene, I need advice on how to find commercial work. I have no problems composing bids, mostly finding the work. Is there a bulletin board, forum , or pay site that matches commercial entities with small contractors? I currently have a small dozer, skid, and small 8k mini hoe. I am insured, and pick up jobs under 5k where I can get in and out fast and turn a quick coin.The local paper I advertized in did not generate 1 phone call ran 8 3x4 color ads and all, all of my work has been generated from word of mouth, friends, and referrals.Not looking to grow fast, just keep busy. My business has low overhead and no debt currently, I plan to keep it that way, If I cant rent it or buy it outright, Ill pass on a job or two. I found one site called bidscout.com, but it is a pay site, and did not want to shell out coin for a bad product. Any ideas??
You might check with your State small business administration or here it is called the Idaho Department of Commerce. You give them certain key words and all jobs that are put out with those words in them get forwarded to your email. Its very effective and its free. You may have something similiar. Here, the service covers Gov. jobs at the local, State and Fed. jobs and other commercial jobs.
try to find oneof your local redivelopment athority and see what work they have out on bid. Also keep a eye in the classified section in the news paper. You will see publicly funded projects that have to give public notice listed there. If your ever looking for a pay site we use Dodge Report. we have gotten quit a few leeds from them.
I would advise you to search out and join your local planroom(s) and get involved with the local Contractors Association in the area you want to work in.
I've had pretty good luck with Datafax, but generally for larger projects.