Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

starter bolts

Eddybow ยท 2016-10-01 16:12

how do I get the starter bolts out on a1986 John Deere 455E track loader with a 4 way bucket down. Is there a special wrench I have to buy from JD or another source

Replies3
  1. #1DMiller2016-10-01 17:34

    Called half moon wrenches and yes you will still need to get the bucket arms up and out of your way, backhoe, another loader, a wrecker and release the controls so the hydraulics will allow the lift. Most better name tool dealers: MAC, Snap On, others will have "Starter" wrenches, I have a full set from decades ago purchase. If has six point standard Gr8 bolts go to a heavy engine dealer and buy the twelve point replacements or go to a reputable bolt distributor as Fastenal and order or buy twelve point "Space Saver" head bolts.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2016-10-01 22:49

    I used a 3/8 drive wobble head socket on a long extension on my 455D track loader when I changed the starter. I pulled harder than I normally would with that set up but the bolt came loose before the wrench broke. I stuck a couple short logs on top the canopy to prevent cable marks and pulled the bucket up with a log skidder enough to put the safety stops in.

  3. #3Welder Dave2016-10-02 00:12

    If it's anything like a 931B Cat, you have to take the belly pan off to get at all the bolts. A come along or heavy ratchet strap may lift the boom if you put it in float position. Even a couple sets of chains and boomers to the ROPS should lift the boom to get better access. It would be a pia to do but could be done. Another loader or machine to lift the boom would be the easiest. Make sure to block or chain the boom so it can't fall. A thin wall socket could maybe work but there are curved starter wrenches.