Replaced the starter motor. I feel as though i should not just scrap the older unit i took out. Do people take these or does someone want the old one?
Decent looking bendix drive in it that could be a spare. Have you considered having the starter rebuilt ?
I replaced my starter recently and have the old unit sitting in a box. My first thought was to rebuild it and keep it as a spare. Then I realized I replaced it because rebuilding was more expensive than new. I haven't tossed it just yet but I probably will. Same thing with my alternator. New is cheaper than rebuilding. My advice, toss it.
A starter/alternator rebuild shop may buy it as a core if there is one close to you. Some are worth $10 and some are quite a bit more-it all depends on the rarity and how many applications they fit. I suspect the core prices have dropped due to the influx of new offshore units that are cheaper than a rebuilt and no exchange core is required
I bought in 1987 a British built International utility tractor. 1961 model year, I rebuilt engine, & made other repairs, painted it. It has served me well over many years. Starters have been a problem. In 1987 Central Tractor was the big aftermarket supplier for tractor parts. I averaged under two years life from a starter. CT starters were cheap, but they didn't last long. In each, the field coils failed. I took one to my favorite starter shop. Roy felt he could build me a long life starter. It cost $50. more to rebuild than a new starter, but has lasted at least 20 years.
If its the original starter from 1996 and the new one is a quality replacement you should not need to replace the starter until the early 2050's. I would recycle the old starter myself.