Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

State/DOT trucks

cat320 ยท 2007-04-10 09:16

I have noticed that the state trucks here ,the pick ups are using the cng gas to run the trucks.Now they have an 8' bed which half is taken up by the gas tank then they put a cross over box which then leaves them with like 2' of space . now really what the hell can you put in the back of these things? Then will the get anything for them at auction or resale? Just seams to me that they could put the tank under instead of in the bed who is designing these things just seams like a waste of equipment to me. I'm sure that MA is not the only one using the cng gas to power there smaller trucks.

Replies7
  1. #1srs_mn2007-04-10 09:50

    I don't know if CNG is similar to LPG (propane), but 40 years ago, when I worked for the gas company, all their pickups were converted to run on propane... they just put the gasoline carburetors on a shelf in the shop, and when it came time to trade the trucks in for new ones they just put the original gasoline carbs back on, and removed the LPG tank from the pickup box. As far as I can remember the only internal engine difference was the trucks were ordered with hardened valve seats. I do agree with you that the tanks in the box take up a lot of room, though. srs/mn

  2. #2cat3202007-04-10 11:37

    I'm assuming it is the cng I could be wrong and it's the lp well what ever kind it's the non liquid one lol . I thought the cng/lp where the same in the trucks . I wounder if they can convert them back the new models?

  3. #3John Banks2007-04-10 13:38

    Same things they were putting in them before the conversion...nothing!

  4. #4thejdman042007-04-10 21:22

    If its anything like il dot, all thier pickups get used for is cruising around. PIcking up garbage etc (and they dont even put thebags int heir turck, anothe rtruck comes along the next day.

  5. #5mflah872007-04-17 08:13

    I've seen those trucks to. I wonder if they'll try to turn the bigger trucks intopropane to?

  6. #6Steve Frazier2007-04-17 08:32

    LOL! You beat me to it John! I can't recall having ever seen anything in the back of our DOT pickups, they seem to serve as platforms for the arrowsticks!

  7. #7surfer-joe2007-04-18 00:08

    Why is it that state DOT vehicles are always the ones to buy weird and way out items, and then the states cry like hell when they don't work very well and they can't get a dime for them at trade-in or sale time? I guess the DOT vehicles make good guinea pigs.