Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Std controls vs joystick control

Brandon327 ยท 2013-01-05 18:39

Which do you like better and why? I in the process of looking for a used machine and most if what I find in a bobcat are std controls. I really want the joystick. It seems it would be easier on the operator.

Replies15
  1. #1928G Boy2013-01-06 01:08

    I prefer standard. But that's just what I've been running since before I could reach the pedals. anyone who complains about feeling worn out after a day of running standard controls should pick up a shovel and shut up. Joystick is twitchy control sometimes (especially some of the early joystick machines) and they're of course much more complicated/more likely to break/more money to fix. standard is all mechanical, nothing electronic to ever act funny.

  2. #2crewchief8882013-01-06 13:00

    the joystick controls are nice ( depending on the operator), as long as they work, when they stop working..... without bobcats service software, and a delaership's mechanic, they'd be a PITA to diagnose and repair :drinkup

  3. #3lowbed driver2013-01-06 14:01

    Foot pedals for me. Having the bucket controls on the joy stick is awkward,especially when you push/pull the sticks and the bucket starts doing things. LB

  4. #4cartzblown94z2013-01-06 14:24

    Pilot control joystick setups rock. I'd never consider anything else. Cat, asv, takeuchi

  5. #5todd2182013-01-06 16:40

    I own 1 of each and like the hand control better. Less fatigue if operating for a long time.

  6. #6Brandon3272013-01-06 16:43

    I think I will go with the joystick. I am use to operating a loader on a tractor wth joystick. Which brand has the best joystick in about a 06' model? Easiest to work on, just a good all around machine? Cat seems to be out as I read a lot of negative on them. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  7. #7blowerman2013-01-06 18:38

    It's really a personal preference. I can run both just fine, but will agree that pilots with some practice are smoother with less fatigue at the end of the day.

  8. #8dirty4fun2013-01-06 18:58

    I started with foot controled machines then to everything on the sticks. Now I have joystick and would hate to go back to any of the others. I did plow a lot of snow and when you are traveling to the next job you only need one hand to drive. It isn't nearly as tiring either. The only down side is when muddy or slick it is kind of hard to not keep spinning when you want to be stopped. It took a while to get used to the controls but once you get used to them it is a dream machine to run.

  9. #9cartzblown94z2013-01-06 23:28

    Takeuchi, gehl,mustang track loaders I love. Asv wasn't bad but the tak machines are beast and basic when it comes to repair

  10. #10TD142013-01-07 01:56

    I have ran a mix of both. I'm talking everything from a small little bobcat forget the model up to a 753 bobcat or t190. Also ran an A300 bobcat. We had a lot of stuff during my two years at vocational school in highschool. Personally i have found i don't have a preference on standard or joystick. I can run either one just about as good. The only down side i have found to standard is when the adjustments off. Gets a little fun when one pedal has to go all the way to the floor to get any response and the other barely touch it and it comes to life. So i have no preference but i will say that A300 was pretty slick once you got the feel for it. Best advice try out the machine if you find one you may want and if you like the feel go for it. I do agree though standard controls are a lot easier/cheaper to fix.

  11. #11durallymax2013-01-08 13:37

    Depends, Are we talking EH Joystick or Pilot Joystick? Pilot Joysticks don't rely much on wires. They rely on a low pressure hydraulic system to actually do the leg work of actuating the valves. Easy to spot leaks and such. The best part is they are comfortable, and give you a real time feel of what you are doing. They don't get "sloppy" as much as mechanical setups do. Mechanical setups have plenty of problems, always having to adjust them for centering purposes and the annoying creep. Not to mention the vibrations coming through the sticks and the joint pain from running pedals, especially sloppy pedals all day. I have big feet, not many machines allow enough room for my size foot and a big heavy mud boot to run the pedals comfortably. When we switched to the ISO patterned pilots in the Cats versus the foot controls of the NH's, I went into it optimistic because they were more comfortable. I still preferred the foot controls. Now that I'm used to them and have learned how to make it perform the same in muddy conditions and such, I'd never go back. Love having a big open floor. Now the EH controls on the other hand have some work ahead of them. Wires are a lot more reliable than they used to be but one of the biggest issues, especially in dairy farming, is machine cleanliness. So many people don't take the time to clean their machines. Then theres the ones who clean them to look nice but don't actually get down and dirty cleaning what matters most. Ill admit that if it wasn't for me being so picky about keeping things clean when doing repairs or service, and If I didn't have the "pride/polish bug" in me, I would probably never clean them. Its kind of depressing when you get the machine looking nice and clean again, then see it 1hr later covered in so much manure you can barely tell its yellow. The EH controls still don't have a good enough "feel" to be able to jump between pilots and them. If we just had EH controls i'm sure we would get used to thinking a couple seconds ahead.

  12. #12dave esterns2013-01-19 18:18

    i would say if you like your current pattern, stay with it. if your tired of hand/foot go with the joysticks. there is a tradeoff one pattern is not for everyone. at the end of the day, there are just some jobs that work out better if you have manual controls. the only experience i have with pilot controls was on a volvo mt 90b i think. i was not impressed with the accuracy, seems the shortest distance you could drive was 6 inches. our jcb skid steer has the electric controls, which i am for the most part impressed with. i did drive a pilot jcb before we got this one with electric controls and for the most part they drive about the same. the electric system sometimes tries to guess what your trying to do/or not trying to do, and that can slow you down a little especially when trying to counter rotate. we got about 400 hours on the jcb and, surprisingly (after reading about eh on the forums) we have not had any issues with them. as far as cleaning machines, from my experience, your better off never using water. i just used compressed air and a scraper. any time i have tried to hose out the inside of the old bobcat i have had electrical problems shortly after. i hear the new deere skid steers are going to offer all 3 control patterns at the push of a button, so there ya go. i assume it will all be electic tho.

  13. #13Duster2015-09-03 10:41

    I love the EH Joystick controls on my JD 332 CTL until on day when code " RH joystick not centered appeared and nothing would work. I am much better educated on this and some what poorer after spending $2455.00 for a short service call and swap out of the RH joystick assembly. Does anybody have insights on this? Does anybody know if the Joystick base is a rebildable item and who can rebild same? Thanks, Duster

  14. #14gwhammy2015-09-13 18:42

    I prefer hand and foot control with metal rods hooking to the controls. But after being on manual controls since 1978 my knees can't take it anymore so I went to the select-able joy sticks on the bobcat in 2007. They aren't near as controllable as the old ones but will work. I've had a couple handles go bad at around 1400 each and have one going bad now. I wish they would use hydraulic like the excavators use, they don't cause much problems.

  15. #15movindirt2015-09-13 21:49

    Hydraulic Pilot controls or E/H controls are really nice, the pilots have good durability, but the E/h's allow you to have quicker movements with just the adjustment of the computer, I still haven't decided if thats good or not lol