Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steel mill heavy equipment

slagpot ยท 2009-10-06 13:40

I've worked around & operated heavy equipment for many years. Having to retire at 37 due to health issues ,my love for equipment still grows. I can't operate them anymore ,but I can get pictures. Steel mills around the world have very neat machines that are specialized. Take for instanced "kress carriers", you ever heard of them ? Maybe not but I will share pictures of these and other machines used in the steel industry Kress slab carrier,used for transporting stel slags in & around the plant. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel mill equipment/342.jpg Kress staddle carrier,also used for transporting steel slabs. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel mill equipment/slabcarrier_7.jpg Kress slagpot carrier,used for transporting hot slag to the slag pit.Slag use to and still is tranported by train in some mills.These kress carriers are more modern than the old method. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel mill equipment/KSP204.jpg Heres is the old method of transporting slag to the pit by rail as listed above. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel mill equipment/trinec32g.jpg Filling a 75 ton scrap bucket and then tranport to the electric arc furnace or EAF. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel mill equipment/HydrCrane.jpg Koering front shovel used as a scrap grapple {pretty old school but just as neat}. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel mill equipment/1066fs.jpg Kress hot metal ladle carrier.These carriers weight about 400 tons fully loaded and traveling about forty miles per hour. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel mill equipment/KressLadleCarrier.jpg Klien ladle carrier only two where ever built.This one still works daily at the rouge river steel plant. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel mill equipment/side.jpg I have quite a few pictures of mill heavy equipment and would be willing to share more if you folks would like. Patrick Beaufort,SC

Replies97
  1. #1NL1CAT2009-10-06 15:01

    Hey Slagpot, Have you ever heard or seen a converted frontshovel to empty slagpots?

  2. #2slagpot2009-10-06 15:05

    No,but I sure would like to see that. Finding pictures of mill equipment is fairly hard. A front shovel dumping slag pots,now that gets me motivated. Patrick

  3. #3NL1CAT2009-10-06 15:11

    Well a guy at work told me he had seen this on the utube , but I never found it.. We do the rail slag-pot track gantry crane slagpit method at Corus steel in Holland (Harsco metals).

  4. #4slagpot2009-10-06 15:30

    Corus steel, I've seen a few videos on youtube. Very cool mill , not to mention the torpedo cars of molten metal. The true monsters they are. Speaking of front shovel dumping a molten pot of slag does'nt seem to safe. I don't think I would have tried that. Patrick

  5. #5granitefan7132009-10-06 18:48

    Wow, those are some strange looking machines.

  6. #6heavylift2009-10-06 19:55

    cool stuff....

  7. #7rockdog2009-10-07 11:56

    Worked on a blast furnace here in Utah for 13 years. I've looked into a lot of slag pots being driven away by a slag buggy after we just filled em. I ran a transfer car that hauled 100 tons of ore at a time for years. Lots of neat specialized equipment in a steel mill.

  8. #8Andy5122009-10-07 15:07

    How about a fork lift attachment?

  9. #9980C2009-10-07 21:17

    I've seen the big slab carriers in action several times at US Steel in Gary, Indiana. Huge machines.

  10. #10980C2009-10-07 21:19

    Oops, I meant the straddle carriers. They also have some other really big equipment running around there, but the straddle carriers are the ones that keep running past the part of the plant where I'm usually at.

  11. #11Midwestern4x42009-10-09 21:00

    Yup I'm working there now. Give me a few days I got a bunch of mill pictures to share with you guys. a few torpedo car pictures too...

  12. #12DaveVB2009-10-09 21:47

    Bing Maps search of Dearborn Michigan shows good photos of the pot carriers. One view has maybe the biggest one on the road, then another view shows 6-7 of them in one area; three still useable, 3-4 in dis-repair. Pretty cool! Thanks for showing the pictures.

  13. #13DaveVB2009-10-09 21:53

    Bing Maps search Where is delete?

  14. #14Midwestern4x42009-10-10 09:45

    Here's What I've got. These Are at Arcelor Mittal (Former LTV ) In NW Indiana

  15. #15Midwestern4x42009-10-10 09:51

    Part 2-- Mittal (Former LTV ) In NW Indiana

  16. #16Midwestern4x42009-10-10 09:53

    Part 3-- Mittal (Former LTV ) In NW Indiana

  17. #17Midwestern4x42009-10-10 09:55

    This is US Steel Gary Works...

  18. #18Midwestern4x42009-10-10 09:57

    Part 2-- US Steel Gary Works In NW Indiana Hope you Enjoy Them..

  19. #19NL1CAT2009-10-10 12:11

    Here's some of our stuff..

  20. #20980C2009-10-10 12:32

    I've got a couple pics of the big straddle carriers from US Steel, I'll have to find them and post them here too.

  21. #21slagpot2009-10-10 13:53

    Great pictures,please keep them coming. Slagpot

  22. #22Midwestern4x42009-10-10 14:05

    I will Try to get a few more this week before my layoff.

  23. #23MKTEF2009-10-11 10:34

    I read somewhere that many of the carriers where modified cat 657's. The produser bought the Cat front, and made their own rearsystem. Gearchange was a bit rough, so the operators didn't love them... Not so funny when u got 100's of tons of liquid iron just behind the cab...

  24. #24surfer-joe2009-10-11 16:45

    I was a contractor shop superintendent at US Steel in Gary and also over at Bethlehem Steel for about a year and a half. There isn't another industry I think, that uses it's machinery as hard as a steel mill or in handling the slag. The mills are always having accidents, many involving molten steel. I remember one time at US Steel, a full ladle sprang a leak and 100 tons of molten steel poured out on the mill floor. We were called in to help contain the 12" thick mess and then clean it up as we had the only crawler tractors on site. Our two D8's worked around the clock for a couple of days building slag berms and pushing ponds of semi-liquid steel into them so the 992's could load out the mess. We kept two mechanic-welders at the site so they could cut the track links apart as the molten steel slowly welded them together. Our rails did not have any seals or oil in them, a must when working in hot slag. We had to change out the entire undercarriage on both tractors when they were finished with the clean up. Steel mills are probably the most interesting places I ever worked. Always something going on to watch, from the coke works to the ports to the steel rolling mills. Much of our specilized equipment was made by Kress, but we also used a lot of in-house modified equipment as well. What we did to Cat 992C's was not to be believed.

  25. #25JDOFMEMI2009-10-12 00:08

    Thanks for the pics. Nice to see the specialised iron that works in those conditions.

  26. #26BSAA65LB2009-10-12 08:59

    Steel mill work is tough nasty work. Once i lose my probationary status, I will post some pictures of other equipment doing refractory work in a mill.

  27. #27terex2009-10-12 14:15

    Kress transporters were once a common sight at British Steel plants in the UK. The ones I worked on were quite early ones (1970's) based on the 957 scraper front unit with 4 small rear tyres (aircraft tyres for some reason). Being early units they came with drum brakes on the front only which were poor when empty but with 100 ton slag pot behind they were bloody useless and it was a case of going down through the gears to try and stop the thing. Also with all that wieght on the back traction used to be a problem and they quite often had to be pulled out of the slag ponds.

  28. #28BSAA65LB2009-10-12 16:25

    terex sez: "Kress transporters were once a common sight at British Steel plants in the UK." Well, steel plants were once a common sight in the UK too.....they are kind of rare today

  29. #29terex2009-10-12 17:08

    lol.....Yeh very true , I'm at Corus Steel right now fighting for my job!!

  30. #30BSAA65LB2009-10-13 10:08

    Most steel mills are a little strange about allowing pictures to be taken inside the facility. These are an exception, and while a few years old, show a Gradall doing vessel & refractory maintenance in a mill

  31. #31gr792009-10-13 14:10

    color! A strange sight to see something big and clean in the gray steel mill world. I live near Dearborn, Mich. The 1.5 hour Ford Rouge Complex tours used to take visitors thru the mills high up on the catwalks, eventually ending up on the final line floor watching Mustangs being assembled. They required visitors to walk a mile+ and have the ability to climb steps. I guess too many complained of dirty hand rails. On the tour, was able to see, feel, hear, smell everything as an outsider. Tour guides provided the info. Even me, as an employee at the engine plant there, was not allowed access to many areas. Cameras were not allowed anywhere. Now everyone has cell phone cameras, easy to hide. Tours do not show the real good stuff anymore.

  32. #32Bumpsteer2009-10-14 13:19

    I toured the Great Lakes Steel plant in the early 80's, specifically the continous casting area. We were shown the whole process from charging the crucible to the rolling mills. It was pretty cool to see the never ending red hot slab of steel feeding down the conveyor. I'll never forget the guy that cut the slabs, he had a torch that was carried like a big weedwacker with a harness. He wore metal soled heat proof boots and would walk out on the hot slab and cut it every 25 feet or so.... Ed

  33. #33rockdog2009-10-14 13:36

    Yep, mill where I worked was no cameras allowed. They let the wives of Blast Furnace workers be on the floor for a cast to see what their husbands did for a living. Damn lawyers put an end to it before my wife got to see it. It's a different and damn dangerous world. My second shift there, I was almost cut in half when the side blew out of the furnace. Thank god for the seasoned guy who knew what was happening and grabbed me and pulled me to the side just in time.

  34. #34miningtrucks2009-10-14 22:30

    great equipment photos keep them coming they are cool

  35. #35slagpot2009-10-15 23:46

    Heres some more from my collection. Thats it for now,hope you enjoyed them. Slagpot

  36. #36trukfan2009-10-16 00:06

    Those are some great pics slagpot. I got a tour of a large forge as part of a job interview, and the specialized equipment/facilities were very fascinating to me. It's unlike any other industry I've worked in for sure. I do have one question though. How many tires does a plce like that go through? In one of your pics, there's a rig with a pot dumping hot metal into some kind pit, and it's tires look real close to heat.

  37. #37slagpot2009-10-16 00:33

    Tires on slagpot carriers are only changed out,when they wear down too much. At a steel plant up north{can't remeber which one} a kress slag pot carrier had a tire blow out as it was leaving the inside of the plant. Once it got almost outside the door,the tire blow. Killing one worker,these tire are under hellish tire pressers. As for dumping the slagpot pots in the pit.The pot carrier tires only have to withstand the heat for short periods of time. I have a whole bunch of mill equipment including a few of massive forge presses. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel%20mill%20equipment/sfm23g.jpg Slagpot

  38. #38Chris55002009-10-26 05:23

    I remember when I was a young whipper snapper, I use to go for runs with my grandfather who was a truck driver for british steel out of Port Talbot Steel Works in Port Talbot, Wales, I use to see those Kress carriers quite frequently, I remember they use to scare me, but never the less I was very interested with them and like everything else mechanical I use to take hundreds of photos of them with my polaroid For anyone that didnt know, the Kress carrier is partially made out of a Caterpillar 657 scraper. Edit: I've just read through and realised some people have already pointed this out

  39. #39Andy5122009-10-26 09:19

    We actually use 613,621,631 and 657 front ends with 621 and 631 fitting the requirements for most machines.

  40. #40Chris55002009-10-27 01:12

    Well there ya go, learn something new every day. I stand corrected.

  41. #41brynbaily2009-11-05 01:29

    Slagpot, do you work for Charleston Mill Service? I worked in a mill as a utility guy up here back in 07' for a short time. Couple friends of mine are still pot carriers there. Here are a few pics from my collection. Its dirty, dangerous work; not like heavy equipment isn't dangerous enough! I've herd several horror stores while there.

  42. #429420pullpan2009-11-08 21:29

    here's a 973D link

  43. #43NL1CAT2009-11-09 08:31

    Don't touch the windows

  44. #44nzpatch2009-11-10 00:03

    wow you would have to be on your game getting out without getting burn't!! what happen's if you blow a hose???

  45. #45NL1CAT2009-11-10 11:40

    Then you get some special effects... We've got a fire distinguisher system on the machines that do hot work and flame retardant hydro oil in them (doubt if that's gonna work) Now that I said that maybe I have to try and trow some flame retardant oil on the hot slagpit and see what happens :drinkup

  46. #46slagpot2009-11-10 12:20

    Nope never worked in a mill. I did however work for Alcan rolled products in Oswego,NY.Thats what got me intrested in steel mills and the like. My late Uncle worked for Gulf states steel in Gadsden,Ala. He told me many horror storys. Didn't seem like a place I wanted to work at the time. Slagpot

  47. #47BSAA65LB2009-11-24 12:37

    Some more pics of Gradall's starting to work in various mills. Using a core drill in a tap hole:

  48. #48BSAA65LB2009-11-24 12:40

    And a few more, ladle work with a rubber tired machine being most of these pictures:

  49. #49MrKomatsu2009-11-24 12:47

    :usacool pics.................

  50. #50redline2009-11-26 20:00

    there all very cool (hot) pics guys thanks heaps for posting them

  51. #51AtlasRob2009-11-28 15:14

    If its a radiator hose you have a sauna, if its a hydraulic pipe you fry! Jeez that aint funny. sorry! Great pictures of a world that I know nothing about other than the 973D pics that I have seen in C@t literature. Its quite amasing what a scraper front can be adapted to What sort of sizes and weights are those "slabs" as you boys in the know call um?

  52. #52AtlasRob2009-11-28 15:18

    So does this mean your another great Welsh export or did you visit from this side of the severn :drinkup

  53. #53Chris55002009-11-28 17:12

    Your on the money there, 100% taff/great Welsh export! Dual citizenship now though (Australian/British) It will be 5 years next month.

  54. #54Gavin84w2009-11-28 18:48

    Most machines working in direct slag have to run glycol as hydraulic fluid, doesn't do the hyd pumps much good but no fires if you blow a hyd line out towards the bucket etc.

  55. #55willie592009-11-28 19:31

    That's what they use in the equipment around the Alcoa Plant smelters near me Gavin. It does it's intended purpose of being fireproof, but it's a mess for pumps, control valves, and hyd components. If a machine sat for a period of time not being used, the water in the fluid would settle in a control valve and the oxygen in the water would cause the steel on the inside of the valve to begin rusting. Fire the machine up to use it, and you find valves that are stuck. :Banghead

  56. #56BSAA65LB2009-11-29 06:22

    Glycol based fire resistant fluids have been used for a long time. Noticed I said fire resistant it will burn too if enough heat is applied. The newer glycol formulations are a bit easier on the system, but still generate a large amount of varnish in the hydraulic system that wears things out. Probably the best fire resistant fluid is EcoSafe. Gives nearly the same life of hydraulic bits as does normal hydraulic fluid. Down side, EcoSafe doesn't play well with ANY other fluid in the hydraulic system Better have a clean system when filling with EcoSafe, if not, be prepared for a mess.....foams up like a poorly poured beer It can be cleared up, but takes soem time and effort.....

  57. #57AtlasRob2009-11-29 08:17

    Congratulations :drinkup I have a very good mate ( almost a brother ) who posponed starting a family while spending almost 3 yrs jumping through hoops to emigrate back in 1988. He only stayed 16wks just could not settle. :beatsme Wow, thats a new one on me. Does make perfect sense though, a hyd hose blowing over that slag would turn you into a fireball I imagine.

  58. #58Dan Da Man2010-01-22 12:00

    Slag Pots in Holland Hi Guys I am new to this forum but I thought you might like to see some of my pictures from the mills around Europe etc Including the Slag Pots in Holland Corus Once I work out how to upload pics Dan

  59. #59slagpot2010-01-24 10:25

    Dan, Welcome to the board !!! Please do post more pictures. I think I have a picture of the gantry crane at corus. Dunno have so many and it takes time to find them. Slagpot

  60. #60piedie2010-01-24 14:57

    Here are some slagpot machines based on a bell adt

  61. #61piedie2010-01-24 15:01

    or what do you think about these Belaz type 7920...

  62. #62slagpot2010-01-24 15:43

    These look alot like Kirow & Kamag pot carriers. Never will see these here in the states,dunno why not. Indeed very cool looking machines thanks for sharing. Slagpot

  63. #63cps2010-01-24 18:41

    I'm guessing Russian? Great pictures thanks, keep them coming!

  64. #64Dan Da Man2010-01-25 01:58

    Pictures help Guys I dont seem to be able to upload any pictures, Can you assist as I have some great ones. Thanks Dan

  65. #65Chris55002010-01-25 03:15

    Click on "post reply" down the bottom left of the last post then underneath the next box under "additional options" click manage attachments. Hopefully the rest will be self explanatory.

  66. #66alco2010-01-25 03:34

    I think you have to have a certain number of posts before you can post pictures and such. But don't quote me on that.

  67. #67Dan Da Man2010-01-25 13:02

    Pictures Thanks Chris5500 I do not have that facility, I think your right Alco it must because I am new and lacking posts

  68. #68cps2010-01-25 13:25

    Hi dan, i think its 3 posts, so try logging off and then on again and you should be able to upload photos!

  69. #69Dan Da Man2010-01-25 14:06

    Slag Pots in Holland CPS you were so right.. Check these out. I think I am getting there now !

  70. #70cps2010-01-25 15:49

    Glad to help Dan!... And glad I did as they are some great pictures you have there, that 988 is that at the Tremorfa site in Cardiff!

  71. #71NL1CAT2010-01-26 09:01

    Hey Dan, Glad to see you got some pics up from Harsco metals Holland. As we are official not allowed to take pics and publish them.... I ran the 990h sma just couple of hours ago in the night-shift. We had the control levers modified from stock 990h to 992g style cause we had the 992g before and some operators did'nt like the old style levers (that's still on the 990h)anymore.

  72. #72Dan Da Man2010-01-26 15:57

    Hey NL1CAT dont say nothing about my pics on here then LOL

  73. #73NL1CAT2010-01-26 16:37

    Your secret is safe with me

  74. #74BSAA65LB2010-01-27 10:34

    So Dan, I am assuming you work for Multi Serv. Did we happen to meet in India a few years ago, or was that someone else from the UK office?

  75. #75slagpot2010-04-08 08:05

    Here's a few more photos to drool at. First a caterpillar 973 track loader used in the slag pit around a blast furnace. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel%20mill%20equipment/973_radiografische.jpg Next a Liebherr front shovel,dunno what size or model number.Web find all rights go to photographer unknown. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel%20mill%20equipment/DSC02521b.jpg Paling pallet transporter. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel%20mill%20equipment/99.jpg Kamag slag pot carrier,found across Europe. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel%20mill%20equipment/kamag2-1.jpg Kirow elevated pallet carrier. http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll460/dragonriversteel/Steel%20mill%20equipment/iht_tuerkei.jpg A bunch more to follow.

  76. #76NL1CAT2010-04-08 16:19

    Those 973c's are remote controlled. Then they don't have to lock the converters when taking out spillage slag.

  77. #77slagpot2010-04-08 18:03

    Very interesting indeed ! I find that more & more equipment is going to remote control in steel mills. A plant in upstate New York,here in the US. We had a furnace stirring device custom made by caterpillar.Reminded me of a gradall,but instead of the boom telescoping .The whole boom ran on a sort of sled.Just like modern tree limb stripping machine found here in the US. It too could be used either via remote control or with operator. Wish I could have gotten pictures of it,but like most plants world wide. Pictures are a no no. Slagpot

  78. #78alan627b2010-04-23 17:39

    http://www.ett.co.za/Smelters.htm

  79. #79slagpot2010-04-27 07:39

    Couple of cool video's.Most of these show pot carrier's...no not those.Steel mill related stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=MEjSPOhr8g4&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=9np54lUmVRg&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=pYju_OUclsk&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=vCHDB5puAU8&feature=related

  80. #80BSAA65LB2010-04-27 12:31

    slagpot sez: "I find that more & more equipment is going to remote control in steel mills." Remote control is becoming more and more popular worldwide in mills. And other hazardous worksites. IME, remote control is actually specified more outside of the US than within the US, but that is slowly starting to change.

  81. #81Dan Da Man2011-03-28 14:05

    Hi CPS I know you assisted me on uploading these images...how do you remove them I have asked for help from the forum with no response...I need to remove my pictures ASAP.. Please can you help

  82. #82stock2011-03-28 17:02

    The only way to remove a picture is to ask one of the moderators but you better have a good reason....................................

  83. #83digger242j2011-03-28 20:28

    Removed as requested. Indeed. We really hate to disrupt the continuity of the threads by removing things from the middle of them. Still, we can't in good conscience leave one of our members twisting in the wind at his or her real life job because of something they felt would be a good contribution to the community here.

  84. #84brynbaily2011-03-28 22:16

    I know alot of the steel mills and services are pretty touchy when it comes to photos/videos of their operations. That last DustBoss video was filmed at one of our sites. Those machines are great up until the weather hits freezing.

  85. #85Dan Da Man2011-03-29 05:25

    You were right .. hands slapped for putting up pictures :-( its a shame when you are passionate about your work isnt it !!

  86. #86digger242j2011-03-29 06:02

    And proud enough of it to want to show it off. You'd think employers would appreciate that, especially in this day and age. :beatsme It's sad...

  87. #87Dan Da Man2011-03-29 06:44

    I have 1000s of pictures I would like to put on here but like brynbaily said the Steel Mills are touchy more than others in some cases, I thought the pictures would do no harm !! But was wrong , sorry for any inconvenience. I love sharing what I do I likewise seeing what others do...

  88. #88wnydirtguy2011-03-30 21:39

    very cool thread. love the pics guys. wish I was around when we had mills in Buffalo, ny. What do you guys do with the slag when it cools. here they just left mountains of it.

  89. #89renaud2013-01-21 21:40

    Interresting topic..... Very fascinating as well-especially the pics.Thanks to everyone who posted some and shared anecdotes!! I' personally heard about Kress pot carriers a couple of times without really knowing what they were used for. Regards. Max.

  90. #90glenlunberg2013-06-18 22:55

    Those images are pretty cool. They're very interesting! :drinkup

  91. #91ScottAR2013-06-19 00:39

    Quite a bit of the slag that comes out of the Nuccor mills here ends up as road base/ gravel. Very similar to crusher run. I'm closer to a natural limestone source but east and south of here it's much cheaper than limestone.

  92. #92BSAA65LB2015-04-15 12:22

    This thread has been quiet for a while. Wanna appreciate the furnace deck.....this pic gives you an idea

  93. #93BSAA65LB2015-04-15 12:25

    Try this again......

  94. #94NL1CAT2015-04-15 12:43

    I'm not allowed to take pics anymore, risking to get sacked..

  95. #95Paul Webb2021-01-31 04:21
  96. #96Willie B2021-01-31 08:20

    Yes please.

  97. #97Paul Webb2021-01-31 11:01

    Yes I've heard of kress carriers and there were some used at Port Talbot, I would like to know what ones and when