Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steep slope work

Multiracer ยท 2013-06-15 08:21

When running a D-6H and working steep slopes is there still a need to overfill the crankcase to protect from oil starvation ? Thanks Ron

Replies5
  1. #1Oxbow2013-06-15 08:56

    I am not sure about a 6H, but we used to overfill the transmission when doing steep work on a D7G and D8H to keep them from sucking air and essentially going into neutral. We never had problems with the crankcase however.

  2. #2C130 eng2013-06-15 19:41

    Not sure about the H but with my R keep I would keep an eye on the finals. Mine leak into the the transmission. Not cool but it is what it is. As with Oxbow no proplems with crankcase.

  3. #3Nige2013-06-15 20:02

    Quote from the manual ........... When you are operating on severe slopes that are greater than 25 degrees or greater than 47 percent, the quantity of oil in the power train can be increased by as much as 10 percent. When you are operating with the increased oil quantity, prolonged operation in some machines can cause high power train oil temperatures. After the work on the severe slopes has been completed, drain the excessive oil quantity from the bevel gear case. Note: For severe slope operation, engine oil should be maintained on the full mark. The engine should never be overfilled with oil.

  4. #4Multiracer2013-06-16 08:12

    Good stuff fellows, Thank you. I started yesterday and it will turn out to be not as steep as I first thought, I am attacking it from some angles as opposed to straight up the slope. Ron

  5. #5terrasmooth2013-06-18 17:39

    For what it's worth; several years ago I was doing slope work on a 1:1 with a D-10 N with full oil and it developed a knock in the engine. I got off the slope and shut it down immediately, the mechanic told me that previous oil samples indicated this might eventually happen. I always wondered if the steepness of the slope contributed to the failure.