I was wondering if anyone could post how to adjust steering clutches on a JD 450g IV. Thanks
I downloaded from JD the service manual for $83.00. Much cheaper than buying it in print. If I get steering clutches adjusted I will be able to sell her.
Will you describe how you did it when successful? Other JD drivers like me will learn something, thanks, Bob
If I remember correctly, it asks you to start with checking pedal stops and linkage lengths and adjusting if need be.. Don't just go back and start cranking the clutches down or it won't work properly.. My 2 cents from experience. Thanks derek.
I read in the first manual I downloaded #TM 1404 that for complete steering clutch adj. you see TM 1403 which is like Testing and Operations. TM 1403 I also downloaded at $165.00. It does have all the steps to adj. clutches but it is a somewhat lengthy process. To start you back brakes all the way off, make an internal adj. make a pedal stop adj. adj. the length of 4 linkages. Then you hook up 2 oil pressure gauges and adj. to correct pressure for both sides. You then go back and adj. your brakes. Looks like a good days work for me and I want to take my time and do it right when I get a nice day. Too cold right now and after I get this all done and now own both manuals I think I am going to keep this tractor. I will let you guys know the outcome when I am done. Also the manuals cover 450-550-650 and adj. for pedal steer, lever steer, and series IV like mine with torque converter transmission. Manuals are good not overly in depth but all the information is there to do the job. Randy