Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steering clutch pictures

Coe Hill Kubota ยท 2025-02-25 00:01

Hello: Just curious if anyone would care to share a few pictures of track dozer or loader steering clutches? I am in the midst of updating a textbook I co-authored a few years ago and would like to put some better pictures in it. I would of course need your permission to use them in our publication and would give credit to the owner if the picture/s were used. Ideally I could use some clear pictures of all types of steering clutches/brakes from band type brakes to spring or oil applied clutches and brakes. Would be interested in fully assembled or taken apart, new or failed, I just need a few better quality photos. Our publisher is CDX and the textbook is Fundamentals of Mobile Heavy Equipment. It is used in many high schools and colleges throughout North America and we are in the middle of putting together the second edition. I can put a link in if anyone is interested, but didn't want this to be a commercial. Many thanks in advance! Scott Heard

Replies13
  1. #1LCA0782025-02-25 14:02

    Product Catalog CDX Learning Systems provides interactive and experiential curriculum to train today's skilled technicians in accordance with NATEF and ASE standards www.cdxlearning.com Unfortunately I don't have any pics for you but you may get some better traction by posting your current sections or pics you're looking to update...if that's possible due to copyright issues. Another option is using the pics out of repair manuals but again, there may be copyrights issues and not worth the hassle of trying to get permission....but I'm sure you're posting here just for that reason.

  2. #2Coe Hill Kubota2025-02-25 14:48

    Hey LCA: Thanks for the reply and posting the link to our site. Like I said, I didn't want to get any free promotion, just looking to enhance the photos in the existing chapter on Track Machine Steering Systems for the upcoming 2nd edition. I know band brakes aren't too common these days but it's always good to start at the beginning and talk about system evolution and I'm sure there's still lots of older machines still moving with old school steering clutches and brakes. The chapter starts with mechanical (spring applied/lever released) steering clutches and (lever/pedal applied) brakes, then progresses into oil applied/released steering clutches and brakes. It also looks at 2 speed steering and differential steering. I have a separate chapter on hydrostatic systems that includes track machine steering. We do have a lot of factory illustrations and photos for which we have permissions but this is one area I'd like to include a few photos for. Basically, I'm needing photos to show the following: 1- steering clutch brake bands 2- steering clutch brake drum/housing 3- spring applied steering clutch assembly 4- spring applied clutch release piston 5- band brake apply piston Once again, thanks in advance! Btw, after this chapter I'll be creating a couple of new chapters on electric drive systems. The existing book has some info on electric drive but this edition will have four chapters dedicated to that subject. Thanks, Scott

  3. #3Coe Hill Kubota2025-02-25 14:49

    Also, meant to ask, is this the best Forum to be asking this question in, Dozers?

  4. #4LCA0782025-02-25 15:00

    I think this is the right place to be asking questions about brake bands. Some of the folks here taught Moses how to adjust his brake bands so there is a full spectrum of old- to new-school knowledge here. Hopefully they took pics along the way.

  5. #5SterlingR2025-02-25 16:14

    We old folks didn't have cell phones back then. lol

  6. #6Vetech632025-02-25 18:41

    Or cameras

  7. #7Coe Hill Kubota2025-02-25 19:49

    Yes, I've had my hands on many of these components myself, back when they were current technology, but I also didn't think about taking any pictures. Most recently while I was working at a gold mine in Northern Ontario where they had some D10s and D11s and we would do some PCRs on them where we would replace the finals and steering clutches after they were houred out. Again, didn't think about taking pics on the newer stuff either. Hopefully there's someone out there working on some classic dirt movers and is taking pics as they go. Was thinking, maybe I'll reach out to some of the Historical Equipment groups that are out there. I know of one near Barrie, Ont. that may lead me to the right person. Anyone have a contact in any of these groups I could ask a favor from? Thanks Scott

  8. #8LCA0782025-02-25 20:45

    How about ACMOC? Great source on info on vintage yellow iron that crosses over into some of the middle-aged machines. Some of the folks here double-dip on that forum too. Index Index www.acmoc.org

  9. #9SterlingR2025-02-26 07:36

    Maybe reach out to this guy. If you google search steering clutches, there a lot of pictures out there.

  10. #10JimInOz2025-02-26 14:55
  11. #11JimInOz2025-02-26 15:04

    Previous Post: Cat 931 78U Komatsu D31S-16 D31S-16 IH TD5 --------------------------------------------- This post: IH BTD6 Drum . Mitsubishi BS3 Assembly. Komatsu D21-7 Pack. D21-7 Steer Housing.

  12. #12donkey doctor2025-02-26 16:20

    https://www.theshermantank.com/wp-c...ssembled-double-anchor-improved-7-15-flat.jpg Used on our logging equipment d.d.

  13. #13Coe Hill Kubota2025-03-02 08:07

    Hello Folks: Sorry for the late reply, been busy working and writing. Thanks so much for the excellent leads and pictures. LCA078: I'll check out the ACMOC group. I have reached out to the HCEA group here in Ontario, just waiting to hear back from them. I've donated a couple items to them so hopefully they can return a favor with some pics. Stirling R: I'll check that fella out on you tube and reach out to see if he has any pictures. JimInOz: thanks for the pictures, if I decide to use any, I'll get in touch. donkey doctor: thanks for the illustration, I have something similar from Caterpillar so I'm good for band brake mechanisms Btw, if anyone needs any help with Kubota service information I can likely help out, just ask and I'll see what I can provide.