Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

steering wheel removal

likin ยท 2024-01-16 20:10

I have a Case 590M 2004, is there a special tool to remove the steering wheel? I need to get to the horne button to check the switch, also to fix the turn signal lights. Thanks,

Replies4
  1. #1Welder Dave2024-01-17 03:47

    Not sure how the steering wheel is mounted but they make steering wheel pullers. Not too expensive.

  2. #2Tinkerer2024-01-17 08:38

    Steering wheel puller --#CAS10486 ----Not worth buying for a one time use. IMHO After you remove the nut, spray some penetrating oil on the shaft and let it soak in for a while. I use an air chisel with a pointed bit -->on the center of the steering column and apply upward force with my knees on the steering wheel. They usually pop off very quickly. The info you need is fully covered in the service manual. Service manuals are a good (necessary) investment if you are doing your own repair work.

  3. #3Coytee2024-01-17 14:54

    I agree with them. I was trying to take the steering wheel off an International 444. Oiled it for couple days, didn't have a puller. Probably rusted over the 25 years I've been around (my wife's cousins tractor next door). I don't recall exactly what I did but the evening it came off, my wife's cousin came over to see if I was ok? Yes, why? Earlier, I heard you scream.... It wasn't any kind of scream of pain but rather a scream of conquest. That bugger was on there tight but, I'm a persistent little cuss.

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-01-17 16:36

    I've seen steering wheel pullers from $17-$30cad. You might be able to find one at an auto parts place that has a loan-a-tool program.