Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sticky Rubber Handle

Tuck66 · 2021-03-22 00:29

Looking for advice pls. My Case 590 Backhoe, front joystick has a rubber boot, every time I use the bucket control,4-1, any action on the handle grip, it leaves a Nasty Black sticky residue on my hand.I have tried hand cleaners, & degreaser. Still Nasty. Any ideas how to clean this? I tried to remove it, seems impossible. Many thanks

Replies18
  1. #1Delmer2021-03-22 08:33

    MMMmmmmMMMM, phtalates. If you want to remove it, cut it with an aviation snips, or utility knife. You could try a detoxifying beauty treatment, slather it with mud, I mean special purity clay, and let it dry to suck out the extra liquids. Might have to use strips of rags to keep the mud on. Not mud, I didn't say mud, Himalayan beauty minerals, yeah.

  2. #2skata2021-03-22 11:54

    The rubber is deteriorating back to its natural form. You can try wiping it with rubbing alcohol.

  3. #3hosspuller2021-03-22 12:03

    Talc powder ... a bit hard to find with the scare about it.

  4. #4Tuck662021-03-22 20:52

    I have the parts Manual also.It doesn't seem to mention or show rubber on handle..just handle ..& Superbonder 409 glue...I can't even seen find new one...I appreciate your info.

  5. #5Tinkerer2021-03-23 08:31

    Sadly, that handle is $700.00 US from a CNH dealer according to the parts book. Perhaps it could be wrapped with leather.

  6. #6hookedondiesel2021-03-23 13:30

    You could wrap it with a good quality electrical tape.

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-03-23 14:22

    Electrical tape only works for a short time. The wraps slide upon themselves from hand pressure and the heat of your hand. I tried it in the past. I had black adhesive on my hands as a result. Anyone remember the old hard rubber steering wheels ? Horrible for making your hands dirty when they got old. Just a suggestion. Leather can be bought at any Walmart. Soak it in water and it can be stretched and stitched.

  8. #8Pixie2021-03-23 18:03

    Duct tape !!! Gorilla brand lasts well

  9. #9cuttin edge2021-03-23 18:39

    There is a guy at work, every time he runs my grader, he leaves the steering wheel and shift knob like that. I'm guessing something in his sweat reacts with the rubber. I use that fast orange hand cleaner. seems to work for a while. I ordered some Dr Squatch soap. I guess I fell for the marketing. If it makes the 3339 mile trip to my house from California, and it doesn't leave my skin feeling fresh and clean, I can send it to you to try on your handle.

  10. #10joe--h2021-03-24 11:40

    Golf club grip wrap https://www.amazon.com/s?k=golf+club+grip+wrap+tape&ref=nb_sb_noss

  11. #11Tinkerer2021-03-24 13:43

    Or, maybe ---- 3M™ Heat Shrink Heavy-Wall Cable Sleeves ITCSN

  12. #12Honcho2021-03-24 15:08

    I always cover handkes with piece of cloth and tie it with a strap.

  13. #13hookedondiesel2021-03-25 13:07

    Are you sure it wasn't "hockey tape' you used. A "Good Quality" electrical tape should not shrink or slide upon itself. It would defeat it's purpose. 3M makes a high quality electrical tape.

  14. #14doghead2021-03-26 14:48

    What about rolling a non lubed condom over it? Not sure how long it would last, never used one for very long...

  15. #15hosspuller2021-03-27 10:50

    While we're talking tape .. silicon rubber tape http://www.xtremetape.com/ Never gets gooey or sticky like old-fashioned electrical tape or duct tape - No messy cleanup!" Or go to a bike shop and get some handle bar tape. Comes in wild colors... to jazz up your machine.

  16. #16hookedondiesel2021-03-27 15:07

    Ya, but you'd have to order from Canada for that size of a handle...lol

  17. #17cuttin edge2021-03-27 15:23

    A friend of mine's mother was a sex educator for public health. She used to go to the schools and have " the talk ". She was doing a condom demo on a prop, and one young lad said he would never get one big enough to fit him. She said, this will fit over your head so you must be really heavy hung, and I'm sure everyone would like to see it. Shut him up in a hurry.

  18. #18Tuck662021-03-29 07:27

    I also used fast orange....temporary it was....I think.. leather idea...makes sense to try. Appreciate the soap offer.im on Vancouver Island,Canada. the postage chg would cost more than my backhoe..lol.thanks anyhow