Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stockpile shapes?

F-1.08-F.G. ยท 2008-09-12 18:23

Today at work, the foreman got his panties all in a bunch because I was pushing a stockpile (about 10,000cy by the end of the day) up into a standard "truck ramp" when what he wanted (but failed to tell me) was a longer, lower pile with ramps at both ends, what we call a "pan mound". No big deal, just knock the high end down:Banghead So... even though shaping stockpiles might not be the most glorious work you can accomplish with a dozer, it IS one of our many tasks... so I figured I'd ask you guys what you typically use. Because we rarly use pans and mostly use ADTs, I am (obviously) a fan of the low to high truck ramp, flat all the way across, tracked in on the sides at the end of day. You guys?

Replies7
  1. #1curly2008-09-13 06:48

    Any pile we have that's been moved from the stacker will generally be a ramp so's we can get on top.

  2. #2catchick2008-09-13 08:03

    I build depending, obviously, on the type and amount of matierial you building the stockpile with. If it's topsoil, gravel, sand and I know the scrapers or trucks are gonna have to get up there I ramp off both ends much easier than trying to turn them around on top. Most O/B stockpiles I build are ramped on one end, squared off on the other for the trucks to dump on so we can build it bigger, if you do it that way it is much easier to put a lift on it if you need to go higher.

  3. #3pushcat2008-09-13 08:51

    I usually round them all the way around so they can be mowed or sprayed safely. Ten foot tall ironweeds can easily hide a sharp edge and I wouldn't want a tractor to go over the edge. I try to do it on every pile because you never know how long it will stay there, maybe a week, maybe years.

  4. #4curly2008-09-13 15:20

    HA! Our little joke at our pit is that we need notice when we sell black dirt so we can at least hit it with a weed whacker.

  5. #5qball2008-09-13 21:23

    i was loading black dirt outta a scraper pile with a 953 . i was loading 2 tandem dumps, we call them 6 wheelers here. i was on this pile for a couple weeks and got bored, so i turned it into a turtle. nice round shell, head, tail, legs. it was cool. the boss wanted to drug test me but i kept up with the trucks and sent him good, fluffy dirt so what could he do?

  6. #6biggixxerjim2008-09-15 19:32

    i can always tell the profesionalism of a company by how they keep their jobs both properly graded and stabilized. this goes for the fill and topsoil piles too

  7. #7Deere96702008-09-15 21:17

    artwork So qballs turtle wouldent fly with you? I think its funny! Qball- I work on a farm, and we just aquired a field that hadent been farmed for a few years, so it was all weeds, with a small pacth of saplings on it. Well the boss sent me up there with the brush hog to mow around the edges and mow down the saplings. Well a home owner came out and started complaining to me how crappy the field looked, and that I needed to do somthing about it:Banghead................well i did I mowed a shape of a (you know what) in the middle of the weed field! The home owner had a nice hill side view of the field too!:drinkup