Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

stripped wheel stud

jdonovan ยท 2015-12-14 06:53

Found some broken wheel studs on my NH L 190, got the wheel off drove out the old studs, and figured I was in the clear, and this was going to be an easy fix. On the last stud murphy showed up. As I was tightening it down the lug nut suddenly spun free. Looks like the splines on the stud are no longer holding. Fortunately I didn't have the wheel on, so I have good access. I tried a vice grip on the rear of the stud but it can't get enough grip. I didn't want to grab the threads and roll them over and get into a deeper problem so I decided to stop and get some advice. I'm assuming I can use a grinder or nut splitter to get the lug off the stud, but is there any viable repair option for the now stripped stud hole, or is this going to be a replace the hub/flange affair? I'm new-ish to SS, so I'm more used to car/truck where this would be a replacement brake rotor, but on a skid it looks like the flange is fairly integral to the whole assembly coming off the side of the machine, and I've got some expectation that would be a very expensive part to replace?

Replies5
  1. #1mikebramel2015-12-14 11:09

    Impact wrench and make sure the vice grips are grabbing in the right direction. Most of them the teeth are directional

  2. #2Jonas3022015-12-14 11:24

    Peen the hole in the hub smaller with sharp chisel on a air hammer when the pointed chisel goes in it displaces metal around it then weld the backside to ensure it won't spin next time you take the wheel off

  3. #3jdonovan2015-12-14 12:05

    I was thinking about the weld option, but that seems like the next removal might be even more 'fun'. but hopefully I won't have to replace that wheel stud again.

  4. #4Jonas3022015-12-14 13:52

    Yeah it isn't to likely to need to replace the stud again keep the wheels tight and check them again after running a bit should be fine though honesty if the need arose to replace again it would take 5 extra minutes to blow the weld off or you could replace the flange at that point

  5. #5Delmer2015-12-14 13:59

    Don't be afraid to grab the exposed threads on the stud to get the nut backed out a little. You can always grind the damaged threads off once you get the nut loose enough to push the stud back through enough to get a grip on the back end. I've sometimes welded three or four ridges on the splined part of the stud, then ground them a little sharp. Kind of a sketchy repair, but you don't really want to replace the flange.