Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stuck brake drums

orville · 2023-09-11 11:02

I have an older tri axel trailer that was used to haul a 580 CK case backhoe. Haven't got a clue of the axel manufacturer. They appear to be really heavy duty axels. The trailer sat for quite awhile because I only used the hoe on my property. The brake drums are stuck to the shoes. Is there any way to free them up or is it axel buying time?

Replies21
  1. #1mekanik2023-09-11 11:15

    Air brakes or electric?

  2. #2Delmer2023-09-11 14:00

    Pictures would help. They'll come off one way or another, depends on how much work it's worth to you.

  3. #3Pops522023-09-11 14:06

    Try banging on the drums with a hammer. But make sure they are in release mode AND you're on level ground with wheels chocked.

  4. #4ps66x42023-09-11 14:27

    Have you tried taking the bearing off or at least loosing them and shaking the pi** out of the wheel/drum?

  5. #5DMiller2023-09-11 15:18

    Being old likely no spring cans, if is single chambers take a line loose with air to trailer, see if there is air at the chamber.

  6. #6Truck Shop2023-09-11 17:49

    Nail drum with a 5 pound hammer, truck brakes set trailer released. This is not uncommon.

  7. #7orville2023-09-12 08:28

    The brakes are electric. I have Pounded on drums with a small, maybe 4 pound hammer. I was thinking too big and too hard a hit might break the drums. I will try backing off the bearings and a little harder hits. I am interested in the one way or another method. Currently I have one side of this trailer jacked up and off the ground . This trailer could have been built back in the 60's. The wheels look to be what was on house trailers back then. A lot of small equipment trailers around here back then had the same type axels.

  8. #8DMiller2023-09-12 08:57

    Check for power applied on brakes as well, some wiring by others leaves little to imagination. As to electric, would have to remove hubs to see if swing arm for puck is free or rusted in place.

  9. #9uptight excavating2023-09-12 20:59

    Been there, Done that, Don't wanna sound like a smart azz but the brake shoes are delaminating and swelling up with rust. Had to remove the axle nut, pry on the drum against the backing plate while pounding the crap out of the drum . Likely will crack a drum or two but thats good as it will allow it to expand and slide off of the shoes.

  10. #10orville2023-09-12 21:16

    This has been sitting maybe long enough so the shoes are swelled up so tight they won't free up without breaking.

  11. #11Old Doug2023-09-13 09:21

    I have a stuck brake on the rear of a chevy c60 that i hauled for a friend . I would like to get it free so it would be easy to move around . I dont care about the shoes so i am going to try to spray them with something.

  12. #1256wrench2023-09-13 09:40

    Sometimes if you can back off the star-wheel adjuster first, and then hammer on the drum, it will help to free the shoes from the drum. If the adjuster is seized(like most are) then it will be more difficult. Some heat all the way around the drum won’t hurt. Drums are made to handle some heat- otherwise they wouldn’t last very long in the real world

  13. #13Jonas3022023-09-14 21:51

    If your thinking about putting it back on the road if its worth that The new axles are a great idea those old wheels and tires are terrible probably wont find any parts for the brakes if you just need it to move flip it over torch out star wheel adjusters and go from there

  14. #14DMiller2023-09-15 08:44

    Spoke to my tire guy here, 14.5s are NLA from his distributors, not sure where the Mobeel House people are getting them from. Best choice is either re-end the axles, or replace with a later breed of Electric COMPLETE axles

  15. #15orville2023-09-25 21:53

    You guys have gave me some good suggestions, Thanks

  16. #16Welder Dave2023-09-26 00:50

    Heat may help.

  17. #17Old Doug2023-09-26 07:49

    They had some at the shop i worked out of a week ago . I will ask them when i am there. I have a trailer that has them i dont use a lot but my brother gave me a set of axles that did have them that he bought new hubs for to convert them to 8 hole wheels .

  18. #18Old Doug2023-10-05 07:29

    I was in the warehouse at the tire shop and they had 4 8-14.5 tires the main guy wasnt there to ask if he could get more and they didnt have a price on them ether . My truck brakes came unstuck pretty easy after it sat for awhile so i was able to move it out of the way.

  19. #19Old Doug2023-10-06 07:27

    They said they could get some sizes of 14.5 no problem but had to look harder for others . The price was around $70.00

  20. #20DMiller2023-10-06 07:32

    That friend of ours bought hubs and converted to six lug 16s happier of that as kept his trailer.

  21. #21Old Doug2023-10-06 07:47

    I have one now with 14.5 and a set of 8 hole hubs ready for it. We used the 14.5 for years but they are a deal.