Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

stuck track rail pin, how to release question.

lake side bob ยท 2017-09-10 09:21

One of the track pins on my cat 120 excavator is stuck, it was parked for a few months. Think of the track rail curved around the idler wheel that's how the track rail is curved, stuck; with one pin stuck and it will not release, rest of pins work ok, only seven hundred hours on rails. The track has been moved, machine traveled many 1,000's of feet, still stuck. Any suggestions on how to free the pin?

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2017-09-10 09:46

    One suggestion I've heard here is to run it in water. If that doesn't work, since it's only one, either get the stuck pin to the top and beat on it with a sledge hammer, or get that pin underneath over a rock so that pin is taking all the weight on that side, then do some merry go round.

  2. #2John C.2017-09-10 11:03

    There has been quite a few posts on here about bridging track links. Try running a couple of searches using terms like stuck track links, bridging tracks, kinked tracks, etc. Good Luck

  3. #3td25c2017-09-10 11:34

    I have one on the excavator that's stuck tight . Next time we get her home gonna pull the track shoe & knife in to the bushing on the top side down to the pin with the torch . Then weld a pipe coupler on it so I can plumb up a hose & put some hydro pressure on it with a farm tractor . I'm guessing she will give up & surrender after that . Love the avatar John C ! Is that you in the seat ?

  4. #4John C.2017-09-10 14:38

    It's me in my dad's brand new front shovel in 1959. I think I may have been in and around this business too long. Thanks for asking.

  5. #5td25c2017-09-10 14:47

    That's pretty cool John