Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

super k spider gears

JakeSherlock ยท 2021-12-01 14:12

HI there. My old case 580 is getting a facelift and in the process new oil and filters. I dumped the transaxle and pulled the screen. There are the spider/gear shims in pieces. I fished out the chunks with my magnet. This machine has had aterrible differential howl in fourth gear roading for some time. I've read here that these shims were a problem and I do see new ones at Minnpar. My service manual shows two versions...one with and one without the shims. My question here is can these be changed out without a full transaxle removal? Cam I just pull the pin and slide new shims into place or is that just wishful thinking??

Replies3
  1. #1alrman2021-12-01 18:05

    Unfortunately, the crownwheel needs to be removed from the carrier to pull the pins for the spider gears.... so the transaxle needs to be removed along with the axle housings/ brakes & rear cover. If you decide to go ahead with it, make sure the new washers are the updated ones having the external locating tabs.

  2. #2JakeSherlock2021-12-02 14:59

    Thanks for that...Ugh. not sure I'm going there. My old digger is used mainly on my 5 acre property now. I'm 59 now, my eyes are shot, knees are bad and no young fellas around to lend a hand! lol. Why did these spacers fail? Someone stepping on the diff lock under way? I'm going at the e-brake and likely will pull the rear cover to clean out the scudge. I saw some picks on your site alrman so I think getting that scudge out is the least I can do! literally lol.

  3. #3alrman2021-12-03 16:27

    The early thrust washers were faulty. They were made with a pressed dimple that stopped it from rotating in the housing - this unfortunately caused them to fail - hence the updated design.