Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Surging Perkins Cat 426B

skidrowe ยท 2008-11-16 23:29

read the post about getting ready for winter and changed fuel filter and drained the water separator. I have a full tank of fuel. The plastic drain plug in the bottom of the water separator broke off so I had to pull it apart to remove the rest of the plug. I live in the sticks so a 5/16" bolt replaced the plug until I can get a replacement plug. I pumped up the system with the manual pump and it started o.k. I started up an incline and it died, got it stated and it runs but it surges up and down around 1700rpm . I bled the injecters and got fuel spraying .This engine ran great till I changed the filters, Do I have air somewhere in the system, and how do I bleed it out? I hate falling back when I should be rolling forward! Thanks for any help 1996 Cat 426B Perkins engine

Replies1
  1. #1Steve Frazier2008-11-17 00:04

    Did you make sure the old gasket was removed before installing the new filter? your repair to the water separator might be sucking air as well. If you have the machine running, park it at a fast idle for a while, any air in the system will purge itself out. You have to be sure no new air is entering the system