Dayum, Using grapple to clear some cut mesquite brush and BAM, piece of mesquite shot up like it came out of a rifle and shattered the door in a million pieces. Certainly got my attention! New unit, just 35 hours. I imagine it's not going to be cheap to replace the thing. Problem is what's going to keep it from happening again? I wonder if they offer an option with ballistic glass
I did this to my SVL90 while brush hogging, it does wake you up quick that is fer sure! My dealer had the glass in stock and I believe it was around 250 or so. I believe they do offer a lexan windshield as an option.
I pop riveted a piece of lexan in place of my glass that I broken while mowing some trees.
I have not yet broken the windshield on my SVL90, but understand it will break, eventually. I priced the lexan replacement at my dealer, and was shocked to hear $2300(complete assembly, frame and all, direct replacement) Holy Schnikies!!!! Any ideas for a suitable substitute are welcomed.
Ouch $2300! Looking at non-Kubota dealer options and will report back
Call up your local glass shop. They can cut and install it for way less than that I'm sure. Is it flat or concave? John
Flat.
You can buy lexan/polycarbonate sheet at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's about $200 a sheet if I recall correctly for 1/8". Use the seal for a pattern and cut a new windshield. Prolly get at least two from a sheet. John
Got pricing today from Kubota on lexan windshield pre-drilled for the door handle, wiper blade etc. $650. That's if the frame is still usable. Mine's a little bent but I'm pretty sure that I can get it back to shape
I think you will eventually regret using anything but glass for a replacement. I tried it and it scratches easily just trying to clean it. If you wipe it dry to clean it, it will have millions of tiny scratches that make working in bright sunlight a real nuisance. Others may have better luck than I did but the Lexan / poly-carbonate was a waste of money.
I'm in agreement with Tinkerer. For everyday use Lexan can be pretty annoying. For a flat glass/frame like the SVL's, what about a Lexan sheet that could be easily attached and removed with short standoffs? You'd have to make sure the door would still have room to be flipped up, but I think it's doable.
The Lexan windows are generally a lot thicker than the 1/4" hardware stuff and intended for use with mulchers and hammers etc stuff where it may save your face or life .
That is what I was thinking; the lexan would need to be at least 3/8" thick, as it is sold by Kubota as a safety device, and recommended for use with grapples, mowers, hammers, etc.....
Just thought I'd drag this one back up since I broke the door glass on my 90 today. Besides the glass shower, I took a 5" chunk of oak to the knee. Not fun. I found these guys searching for demo glass. Predrilled for the handles and wiper motor. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polycarbona...518862?hash=item3ae32d968e:g:6oAAAOSwImRYPbHb
A lexen screen for my Rayco costs 100 bucks unshaped 12mms thick.1200bucks is a ripoff .I can't buy product to remove the scratches for that.
Polycarbonate is some good stuff but will scratch to beat hell and is not unbreakable in such conditions. Impact resistant yes and a safety feature to eyewear yes in large sheets can still be broken if hit right after has had time to sunbake. In some conditions impact resistant glass and safety glass are still a preference. If working in severe enough woodlot expanded metal stand off removable impact screens would be a cure to broken glass much as the demolition industry uses.
Nothing is unbreakable or idiot proof but I think Lexen for all its down sides is still a much better and safer option.
Yeah Tones, I'm willing to give it a shot.
Contact Shields Windshields. I had them make a door glass with thrie supercoat on both sides for my ASV. The optics are much better than poly and about the same $ as the local glass shop ($331.28) drilled and cut to my pattern. They have the Kubota door sheilds in stock usually. 765 342 2300. They are in Indiana. www.racingshields.com
Window screens,will stop almost anything .
I see Shields can make 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick windows and mill the edges on them for a standard window gaskets. And they can make any formed window to match OEM configurations. Interesting options there.
Thanks for sharing!!
Dredging up old postings to build "Street Cred" ?
No - didn't even notice the date. Just came across this post...
www.racingshields.com still able to be pulled up. FWD
...and yet, in some of your postings, you act as if you are a customer, and then others "we can make that". Are you using sock puppets ?
lexan on skidders and they don't get scratched from wipers. Branches do a bit. One skidder is an 87, a 648D, and it had orginal windows till 6-7 years ago. Got so hazy it was hard to see.
Unfortunately, that poly was uncoated or not coated properly. The right poly window will last you many years before looking bad.
I just realized this was an old thread. UGH