Does anyone have a diagram or know which hoses to switch on the valve bodies to change this machine over to John Deere controls? I just purchased it and although I know I should learn them, the first few jobs I have to do are too tight to be learning new controls. Or is there a chance there might be a pattern changing valve somewhere on this beast? Thanks
I have a '03 420DIT and the pattern selector value is located on the left hand side of the machine, at the rear, just behind the rear tire. It is a dog boned shaped arm (5 inches long or so) with a 9/16 bolt to hold it in on one end. There are two positions, take the bolt out, slide the dog bone to the other postion and retighten the bolt. I think it is the same on the C models but not sure. Hope this helps.
I have a '98 426CIT and had just switched my controls to 'excavator style' controls, (ie left stick controling swing and stick) from 'backhoe controls', (ie left stick controling swing and boom). The 'D' series backhoes were the first to have the valve to switch from one pattern to the other (If memory serves me correctly, this is located under the left rear fender), the 'C' series requires the linkage from the wobble stick to the valve to be re-worked. I believe that 'backhoe style' controls are also refered to 'Deere' controls. If this is your case, switching from excavator to backhoe, all you would need are two pieces of threaded rod around 8 inches long or so, to searve as a link between the wobble stick and the valve directly below controlling the boom and stick (the rod may be metric size). These are not very expensive from your Cat dealer. You may or may not need to remove the 'excavator style' cross linkage between the left and right stick, as it may or may not interfere with the wobble stick patterns. If I am in fact mistaken, and 'Deere' contros are what I refered to as 'excavator style', then you would need to purchase the field conversion kit to excavator style. Costs around $540 from the Cat dealer. They don't make the kit any longer, so you would have to purchase each piece seperately, (minus two rod ends, two clips, and three pins as stated in the parts breakdown). This takes approx 30-45 minutes from start to finish to change around. I know that the boom and stick control valve are different and are adjusted to different pressures or flow or something like that, all I know is that they are different for sure, they have different part numbers and the price difference between the two is quite a bit. And also I believe that the hydraulic hard lines have different size ends on them. I would suggest converting the linkage over verses just swapping the hoses. Let me know if this helps. I can be more specific with part numbers and what not if you need. On a different note, Do you have a powersift with your machine? Are you experiencing any problems? Thanks
Forgot to add this in with my previous post. The control style selector switch for the Cat backhoes is only a vailable with the pilot control machines, not wobble stick, hence the 'D' and 'E' series.
Thanks so much for the reply, this is amazingly helpful. I have right now what you refer to as excavator controls(Cat/SAE), and want to switch to backhoe style(Deere/ISO), which is what I am used to. The hoses look a tad disorganized and I wonder if they have previously been swapped, but without an identical machine to compare I have no way of knowing for sure. If I could see a picture of the linkage setup I would look at mine to compare to see if it has them. I will take the cover off later on or tomorrow and look, this sounds like an easy switch. Actually, in hindsight when I looked at the hoses and followed them to the valves and the cylinders, the boom hose went to the left stick, so there must be a linkage there. As far as the powershift, that was new in 98 and my machine is a 97, so sorry I have no experience. Today is the first day I have driven the machine, and it seems good for having 7700 hrs on it
longjrla, if you do have the part numbers for the short rods I most likely need that would save me a lot of time on the phone with the parts department at the dealership. Thanks
I drove over and pulled the shroud off and sure enough, it has the linkage assembly to convert it to Cat controls, thanks so much. Tomorrow I will go buy some redi rod and put it back to the way it should be.
Hi DCH I converted one of these machines several years ago, but the other way. You're trying to eliminate the crossover linkages and make each lever operate the spool directly below it, right? If so, all six rods (four for the implement and two for the stabilizers) should be the same part number - 1082949. Good luck.
What I wouldn't have done to find someone to switch back and have some excavator controls available a couple weeks ago. The part number for the rod that would fit my machine is #9R-9722 @ $17.21 ea., and as mentioned by Cmark, all six are the same. This is based off a '98 1YR00581+ machine. If your Cat dealer is like mine, they should have no problem finding it for you and printing the schematics off or e-mailing them to you. It is located in the manual, or SIS under "operator station - control gp- hydraulic hand" section. One thing that I can say, I am more than impressed with Milton South support and service. If you are still stumped and Cat won't help, I would need an e-mail to send .pdf scans of the parts book, but you should be set. Let us know how you make out.
Thanks, I think I can just get some redi rod of the correct threading and make the 2 linkages myself. I will let you all know how it works out, and take a couple pictures. Thanks
DONE. The parts were $80 and a week away, I couldn't find any 10mm 15tpi redi-rod, so welded 2 5" metric bolts together end to end to make the linkages. It works like a dream, I can dig level again! Picture here: http://media1.dashwire.com/media/a9W0SieBer3BS6adbimNyZ/cPuH0IysKr3RO6adbiFTTI.jpg