Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Swing motor oil

H621 ยท 2021-09-08 00:05

Hey there, I'm working on a yanmar vio 20 and got a new swing motor. My question is do I need to fill it with oil, or is it lubricated by the oil flowing through it? There is no dipstick and only a couple small plugs on the side.

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2021-09-08 17:34

    A motor will be filled with the hydraulic oil that is used to make it turn. Just install it, run the machine slow and ease on the stick with the engine at low idle until the house starts to move and then do the same the other way. Work the air out each way for a bit and then just turn the house a couple of times around and you are good to go. If it was a pump, that would be a different story. Why did you need to get a new motor? You might have plenty of other things to worry about.

  2. #2H6212021-09-08 21:06

    So the pump shop I purchased the motor from just got back to me, they said the swing motor will fill when I run the machine but the gearbox needs AW32 filled from the plug at the very bottom cover?? John C. - the customer brought me a swing motor assembly completely dissasembled and wasn't even certain all parts were accounted for and it had been sitting for years.

  3. #3H6212021-09-09 11:03

    Is this the plug that needs the aw36 they are talking about?

  4. #4John C.2021-09-09 12:45

    I think that shop needs to clarify a little more about the gear box. Usually on a mini excavator the motor drives the house swing without the use of a swing gear reduction box but I am not familiar with this brand of machine. Larger machines have that swing gear reduction box to turn the house and that is what they are speaking of. Those boxes usually run engine oil or heavy gear oil and not a hydraulic oil like an AW rated oil to lube the gears and bearings. You might call them and ask the question or ask your customer with the machine and ask if there is that gear box under where the motor mounts.

  5. #5H6212021-09-09 15:51

    I have yet to see the machine myself so once I get this put together I'll post an update just for the knowledge for you guys. Thanks for the input!