Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Synthetic or Conventional Oil

rsjohnsn ยท 2025-10-17 20:13

I am about to start my first service on my 2017 Takeuchi TL8. Do I use synthetic or standard 10W-30 oil in the hydraulic system? What hydraulic filter is good besides the overpriced Takeuchi filter? Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Tyler d4c2025-10-17 22:14

    I have a hard time to agree that its worth finding a different filterwhen the oem is less then I spend on lunch in 2 weeks time. Memory is fuzzy on the oil but i think the book calls for 10w30 diesel oil a good nonsynthetic will be fine. CHANGE YOUR FINAL DRIVE HUB OIL!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2Coaldust2025-10-17 22:20

    From East Tennessee. I would use a conventional hydraulic oil. You ever make it up the holler in Oliver Springs? My boy flys out of Braden Field. Keeps his old cezzna there. Good folks in East TN.

  3. #3Nige2025-10-18 04:48

    I find the question somewhat strange, an oxymoron even. On the one hand you are asking should you use an expensive synthetic oil, on the other you're complaining how expensive the hydraulic system filter is. Hmmmmmm....... The only reason I can see for the hydraulic system to use a 10w30 engine oil is so that it uses the same oil as the engine. However engine oil is not the optimum fluid for a hydraulic system. I agree with @Coaldust that a 10W (or ISO AW32) hydraulic oil would be perfectly acceptable. In fact I'll go one better and quote the forum's resident Takeuchi guru @heymccall who spoke thusly about using 10W TO-4 oil in Tak hydraulic systems. I quote - "Here, I only have 8 Takeuchis, some with 10k hours or more, and ever since the first change, I've run 10W TO-4 Hydraulic oil in them. Never an oil related issue" - There you have it, straight from the horse's mouth. TO-4 is an oil designed for power systems but works very well in hydraulics. As a parting shot consider this - Good quality oils & filters, changed at the appropriate intervals, are the best value-for-money insurance policy anyone can buy for a machine.

  4. #4Vetech632025-10-18 09:25
  5. #5Legdoc2025-10-20 00:12

    I have always purchased OEM filters and fluids except motor oil following the MFG specifications. I have found the dealers can be competitive on prices in some cases. I wound never go the cheap route on fluids or filters. There have been many discussions on HEF about this. Wait until you need to purchase a planetary set or other OEM only part. I.E. the Cat dealer sold me all the filters foe my 120H less expensive then NAPA.