Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

T-800 convert to heavy front axle

crane operator · 2023-01-14 09:04

1997 KW t800. Has n-14 13 speed, 40,000lbs rears. Looking to convert my light front axle to a 20,000lbs front. Wanting to know what measurements I need to take from mine, to compare to the junkyard ones. Are there a lot of differences in KW front frame width? Does it matter set forward or set rearward axles? Are there different pin to pin on axle for spring location. Will I have to find one for a set rear axle because of how this one has rear side steering boxes, and mine are front side steering boxes? Here's 4 pictures of a junkyard KW in Kansas City that I'm looking at. They would sell this as a full front cut off, but its a set forward axle. 20,000lbs eaton axle with double steering boxes- and I'm assuming that I may need to upgrade steering pump for the double boxes?

Replies5
  1. #1crane operator2023-01-14 09:06

    Here's the front end on my truck.

  2. #2crane operator2023-01-14 09:07
  3. #3terex herder2023-01-14 09:10

    How do you update the gvw tag on the truck after such a swap?

  4. #4crane operator2023-01-14 09:18

    Never worried about it. My stuff is so old I don't think anything has a readable tag on the door. If it does, I've likely repainted over it when making things look nice. I know ford isn't giving me a new tag for my 80's and 90's L9000's.

  5. #5cfherrman2023-01-14 09:57

    I don't know much but my N14 12k front axle type power steering pump is driving a tandem front axle with floats with no problem, so I'd just try it. (Single steering box)