I have an 03 Bobcat T200 with the Deutz engine. I was clearning some land today and got a faint odor of diesel in the cab while i was running.... I looked behind me and saw smoke so I shut down QUICK... I noticed the whole rear of the engine (facing rear door) was SOAKED in diesel fuel. I fired the machine back up to see if I could see where it was leaking and noticed it seems to be one of the braided fuel lines on top of the engine. I imagine these are returns as the machine was still running fine with no hesitation. My question is this... How do these lines connect to the metal ones? I didn't see any clams or anything and it was starting to get dark so I shut down and headed in. I appreciate any help someone can give me on this. Thanks.
Yes, it's fuel return lines, small ID braided rubber hose. 1/4" fuel hose is too large. If you need to replace hose you can typically pick up some just like it from an injection shop. It originally had a crimp type clamp on those hose connections. Over time, and various mechanics working on the machine, those clamps get clipped off or lost. It's low pressure on those hose connections, I've had good success using very small black zip ties to secure hose connections to steel fuel return lines.
Thanks Willie.... Luckily, the previous owner was smart and had zip tied a spair set to the door. I have to check to make sure they aren't dry rotted as they should be ok, they are in the original parts plastic bag. So I guess I can just try and pull it off and push it back on then. Thanks for the help!
Yeah, those hoses don't fit real tight where they connect to steel lines or barbs on injectors. If you want it to be original and proper, you can probably get the clamps from Bobcat, even the smallest worm gear clamp don't work too well, hoses are too small. But I've had good results using real small black zip ties.
if i recall, the only return line that had a clamp on it was from #4 pump to the common "rail " at the injectors, that hose had the sleeve and was tie wrapped to the HP inj line. one suggestion, if your return lines are all seperate hoses and plastic T connectors, order the steel return line kit from a later engine. if you get OEM hose from bobcat (or duetz) , no need for clamps or tie wraps, everything else ive seen someone jerry rig swells up and leaks in a short time.