Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi blower motor lubrication

jav · 2021-02-23 08:21

I recently cleaned my HVAC system on my TL130. My fans weren't spinning and with what I found inside it's no wonder. After cleaning the blower motors, I bench tested them and they appeared to be fine. Once I assembled everything and began using them, both blowers began screeching a little, then more and more. Has anyone had any luck lubricating these or must they need to be replaced?

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2021-02-23 11:12

    Don't blower motors generally have oil-impregnated bushes in them.? My thought would be a good clean of the shaft & bushings with aerosol contact cleaner then no more than a couple of spots of light oil on the shaft where each bush sits, and reassemble.

  2. #2Delmer2021-02-23 12:46

    I think I've seen mostly oiled bushings like Nige says, maybe some ball bearings? Depends on how much work it is to get them out and back. The ones I've gotten working again ended up needing more oil regularly to keep from screeching, so I'd at least look for a replacement motor, it wasn't made by Takeuchi and is probably available as just the motor somewhere.

  3. #3Coaldust2021-02-23 23:48

    Just wondering. I’m not a Takeuchii guy. Can’t even spell it. Do they typically have cab filters? I’ve seen plugged cab filters kill so many blower motors. Or, make them scream for mercy!

  4. #4jav2021-02-24 08:56

    thanks for the responses. Some answers: Yes- there is a single cabin filter. Mine was clogged but the box where the fans and evaporator/heater core sit was filthy despite the filter. I did install a new filter. The motors are actually relatively easy to get out. However there are 2 assemblies and they appear very Takeuchi specific... with mirrored brackets and custom connectors. I've not looked closely at the motors themselves to see if they are generic but I tend to doubt it with the squirrel cage mounting- mirrored arrangement, and wiring but it's worth a look. I did oil them when I cleaned them with MMO which was likely not the best choice. They were quiet initially but the noise just worsened with time. I was hoping someone knew if the motors were serviceable IE new bearings or if they are throw aways? I tend to think that even using a 20wt oil or grease, the noise will eventually return ... it's just a question of service interval. If oiling yearly or longer worked, I'd be OK with that. Any shorter interval I'd rather replace.

  5. #5Coaldust2021-02-24 13:02

    In all practical sense, the motors are not serviceable. They are built to a spec and price point that results in a disposable unit. But, with that said, sure, there are a few places that rebuild vintage electric motors for high-value vehicles with unubtainium parts. It’s miraculous what those places can restore or custom manufacturer with enough money and time.

  6. #6Coaldust2021-02-24 13:08

    I recommend these guys. Not sure what their turnaround time is.

  7. #7Jonas3022021-02-24 13:53

    If they are like most blower motors with the bump on the back of the housing drill 1/16 hole and oil it up even better if you left them on the bench so the oil can soak in a bit same on the front work some oil by the shaft and make some access if you need to

  8. #8Volvomad2021-02-24 17:09

    After blowing everything with compressed air I use WD40 or the like to wash any dirt out of the bearings more than lubricate them .As said they usually are impregnated with lubricant for life. I would try and vacuum or blow out the the whole blower compartment.

  9. #9heymccall2021-02-24 19:13

    They're $115 ea from Takeuchi. They are available aftermarket from RedDot, APAir, etc. It is actually all RedDot components in that machine. I never had good luck lubing them and them staying quiet. Do I have to give the part number and list the aftermarket equivalents?

  10. #10Coaldust2021-02-24 19:37

    Glad you mentioned RedDot. I’ve used their catalog to match up hard-to- find blowers before. Or, sometimes I run into stuff that’s ridiculously expensive, but it’s just re-branded RedDot.

  11. #11jav2021-02-25 08:30

    Thank you Heymccall. I have all of the manuals so I can get the part number. I wasn't aware of reddot so I'll do some digging there. My TL130 has heat and AC but I really only use the machine for snow removal so I don't use the blowers much. They do work so I was hoping for a cheap fix to an annoyance but it is what it is. $250 by the time I'm done isn't horrible but if the noise comes back in a few years due to the infrequent use, I may question the decision.

  12. #12heymccall2021-02-25 13:10

    1911506096 takeuchi Apair should be BM3903 RedDot should be RD-5-8835-OP