Hello today I noticed analog gauge on the console on the right side was running low in the white area and not in the green. THis was when I had the engine rev'd up. When I turned the throttle down to idle the needle bounced up into the green. Shutting it down I could see it was smoking some (not sure from where) and there was some antifreeze on top of the overflow bottle. I let it cool down and removed the radiator cap and its full. Replaced the cap and fired it back up and the needle did the same thing. At idle its in the green and as I rev it up it drops down into the white area. Before it would always run in the green reguardless of the engine rpm. So what is this analog gauge indicating? I originally thought it was temperature but now I think its an indicator of the flow of coolant? If not what is it indicating? What does this typically indicate? Thank You ~ Phil
Typically, that symptom indicates the sensor has lost contact with the flow of coolant and is overheating, but it could also be an under voltage issue caused by a very loose V-belt. Check your belt first. It could also indicate a stuck thermostat.
Hi thanks for the info, sorry for the delay in responding, ive been traveling and couldn't respond with my blackberry. So the story gets a bit deeper, the alternator has not been working for some time, its not the belt, checked that so instead of tearing it down now while I needed it I kept the battery charge up with a solar charger. This has been working fine and the temp gauge has been acting normal until recently, it would run in the low white when first started and creep up into the green over time. So I do not think its a voltage problem but Ill check the battery voltage when I try it again. I do think the coolant is circulating as the fluid in the radiator was hot. Where is the temp sensor located? Im wondering what could cause it to not have contact with the coolant. Thanks ~ PHil
Ok, even after starting the engine there are electrical demands on the battery, ie: instrumentation, hold open coil, hydraulic control solenoids and relays, etc. I don't know where your temp. sensor is located but usually they are located slightly upstream of the thermostat or in the front of the cylinder head. Could be just a loose wire, but doubtful.
Wouldn't hurt to check the temperature of the thermostat housing with a non contact thermometer. And keep an eye on the coolant level, if there was some leaking. Agreed, that sounds like coolant isn't circulating consistently, any bubbling in the radiator or tank, or pressure right away on start up?
Ill try to watch the coolant level in the radiator, Ill put the cap on tight start it up and after a few min try taking it off to see if it generates pressure. Ill then look to see if there are bubbles comming up. Both sound bad.... Thanks ~ Phil
Coolant sensor should be between the engine & the thermostat & is usually located in and arond the thermostat housing. Coolant sensors are heat sensitive resistors that connect your gauge to ground.It doesn't take much to get them wonky (worn wiring,loose connector-as in "I didn't have the correct crimp connector so I wrapped the wire around the terminal") or even gunky coolant coating the wet part. Do you notice any changes in the way your engine runs or smells (seriously). Your gauge is there to show temperature.This Is related to coolant flow. If your coolant is so low that the sensor does not stay 'wet',that's Bbaaadddd mojo for sure.Better fill it up and make sure it's not leaking out somewhere. HTH J