Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TAKEUCHI TB138FR Excavator losing Engine RPM when Digging

RIPMUP · 2014-03-13 19:07

Hi, Could someone please help me out here, I have a 2012 Takeuchi TB138FR Cabin zero tail swing excavator with 74hrs on it. It’s Almost brand New. Just wanted to know if it’s normal that when you’re digging through firm soil (not clay) using the 400mm digging bucket or scraping back for driveways using the mud bucket that the engine RPM drops significantly? It doesn’t Stall but you do hear it drop significantly. I’m not sure if this is normal or if there is an issue with the engine or hydraulic system? Can the hydraulic system or pressure be adjusted? As in how much is used for digging or how much is used for crawling?? Is there some type of valve (s) that can be adjusted? I’m trying to determine if it’s a problem or if it’s how the machine operates normally under load. Also its just had the 50hr service, new filters, new engine oil etc. Takeuchi mechanics here don’t seem to want to help me out as the warranty has run out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Steve.

Replies36
  1. #1Delmer2014-03-13 19:51

    Does is smoke any differently under load than it did when it was new(er)? Have you checked the air filter? engine oil?

  2. #2RIPMUP2014-03-13 20:02

    No smoke, it just had the 50hr service, new filters, new oil etc.

  3. #3RIPMUP2014-03-13 20:53

    I'm thinking maybe fuel pump or kink in fuel line?

  4. #4Delmer2014-03-13 22:00

    Sounds good to me. You could tee into the fuel supply line right before the injection pump and run a line to a pressure/vacuum gauge in the cab so you can see what's happening when it loses speed. No smoke means lack of fuel to me, not overloading.

  5. #5willie592014-03-13 22:13

    Did you purchase the machine from a Tak dealer or used from a 3rd party?

  6. #6Lindsey972014-03-13 22:44

    my 2006 takeuchi tb135 does pull the engine rpm down a signifigant amount when digging with all three circuits. I have operated bigger excavators and they bog down too when under a heavy load. check your fuel filters and look for fuel flow to the motor.

  7. #7RIPMUP2014-03-13 22:46

    I'm the third owner as he person who owned it before me was retiring.

  8. #8willie592014-03-13 22:57

    Ok, then that makes sense how the Tak people around you are holding to the "it's out of warranty" explanation. For their part, it would be. However, if you have a Tak dealer near you, I'd go to them face to face and tell them "yes, I know it's not a warranty issue, but that's not what I'm here for, I'm just seeking an opinion. I'm new to this machine and know nothing about its characteristics. I just would like someone with experience with this machine to check it out and tell me if everything is normal or if there is a problem that needs addressed. After all, as a new Tak owner, I will be purchasing parts from you." But then if the dealer is many miles from you, that may be more of a problem unless you transport the machine there. If you don't get it sorted out, we'll do what we can to help you out here, it's just very difficult with these types of questions without being right there with the machine to hear/see what it's doing.

  9. #9RIPMUP2014-03-13 23:16

    Thanks for that. I've called the Tak dealer and all they seem to say to me is that they need to run diagnostics, which i understand. But I also told them to check it out when they serviced it on site and they didn't. They didn't want to tell me what i could do to find the problem if there even was a problem. I also asked them to try using the machine but they told me they dont "operate" machinery...

  10. #10willie592014-03-13 23:44

    Uggg, at which point you want to ask them "do you have a preferred wall that I can bang my head against?" It's that kind of stuff that just drives me nuts.

  11. #11RIPMUP2014-03-14 00:51

    Yep, and when they tell you they will call you back and never do. Love it.

  12. #12RIPMUP2014-03-14 00:56

    What do you mean by all 3 circuits? Using both sticks and curling?

  13. #13Lindsey972014-03-16 15:06

    yes. curl the bucket, crowd the stick, and lift with the boom. did you get it repaired? check your fuel tank for trash, pull the filter and turn on the key to check for fuel flow. also check the fuel tank vent for blockage.

  14. #14Lil' Puss2014-03-16 15:50

    Did the engine seem to lug immediately after it was serviced? Those symptoms also sound like the early onset of diesel bugs. There is also the remote possibility that previous owners have taken up on the relief valve setting.

  15. #15RIPMUP2014-03-16 16:53

    How can the releif valve setting be set back to normal if they were changed?

  16. #16RIPMUP2014-03-16 16:56

    Yeah that's when it pulls down engine rpm the most when digging.

  17. #17RIPMUP2014-03-17 00:52

    How can the releif valve setting be set back to normal if they were changed?

  18. #18RIPMUP2014-03-17 00:56

    Will have to see if i can do it my self.

  19. #19Lil' Puss2014-03-17 07:11

    Not sure if you have a single or multi-stage pump or not but there should be taps on the discharge side of each stage where you can install a 5,000 psi pressure gauge to check pressure. Check your manual for pressure settings. I think 2,200 to 2,800 psig, maybe a little more.

  20. #20cat9532014-03-19 16:49

    Third owner and only 75hrs ? something seems fishie

  21. #21RIPMUP2014-03-22 17:50
  22. #22RIPMUP2014-03-22 17:52

    Sorry I'm the second owner. I've run some injector cleaner and it seems to be fine. Also I think these machines like 3/4 throttle. I will check all fuel lines for any kinks to just to make sure.

  23. #23Lil' Puss2014-03-23 13:51

    Did you check for diesel bugs?

  24. #24RIPMUP2014-03-23 19:33

    Hi, no not yet will do it at some stage this week

  25. #25Lil' Puss2014-03-23 20:42

    If you were running it at less than operating speed, around 1,800 to 2,000 r/m, there might not be enough horsepower to pop the relief valve. I had assumed (I know) you were running it at operating speed.

  26. #26RIPMUP2014-03-23 22:25

    Can you please explain the releif valve and how it works or how it should be working?

  27. #27Lil' Puss2014-03-24 12:40

    I could have given my own explanation, but I got lazy. http://www.ask.com/question/how-does-a-hydraulic-relief-valve-work

  28. #28fsmech2014-03-25 05:48

    What type of fuel filter is fitted, does this have a yanmar engine? Would be thinking engine first before hydraulic. Will the engine completely die if you stall out a function?

  29. #29RIPMUP2014-03-25 06:07

    It's a yanmar engine and it does not completely die, it just dropped in revs when under load and when using all 3 circuits. I'd say it's a standard fuel filter.

  30. #30fsmech2014-03-25 06:10

    It's that the filter in a plastic bowl with s little tap on it?

  31. #31Lil' Puss2014-03-25 12:11

    Wasn't the issue solved by merely running the engine faster at operating speed? Say 2/3 to 3/4 throttle?

  32. #32RIPMUP2014-03-25 17:18

    Is there a better one to use?

  33. #33Lil' Puss2014-03-25 19:30

    With the small Yanmar engine I doubt the fuel consumption is greater than 1-1/2 gallons per hour at full load and speed so I think you can take the sediment bowl/filter out of the equation, but check/clean the screen. I digress.

  34. #34fsmech2014-03-26 06:18

    Check the fuel tap if fitted to the filter and also the o-ring is not damaged. Havent dealt with the TAK excavator, but have the yanmars with fuel probplems in forklifts and gensets. Does it have an electric lift pump fitted or hand priming bulb?

  35. #35OFR2018-06-12 23:04

    Hi. I have the same issue with my Tack. Did you find the cause of it?

  36. #36heymccall2018-06-12 23:33

    On my Takeuchi machines, w/ Yanmar engines, my illustrious operator remove the fuel filler neck screen when refueling. Then they use the fuel nozzle that's been laying in the bed of their filthy work truck. "The screen makes the fuel splash back", they say. The result is blockage of the inlet elbow at the water separator. Anyhow, mark and disconnect both fuel lines at the fuel water separator. Loosen the bowl mounting ring a little bit. Unbolt the separator assembly from the machine, and disassemble the bowl etc from the head. Thoroughly inspect the inlet elbow for debris. Wash all the inner components and reassemble. Install on machine, connect hoses, ensure fuel lever on separator is in the on position. Turn key to run, wait 2 minutes, then start machine. I have had the inlet filled with plastic, straw, tiny rocks, paper, and a bit of unidentifiable matter. Had the same inlet elbow bricked shut on my 350hr SVL75 Kubota.