Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL126 wont shut off!!

sick&tired ยท 2010-11-27 13:15

Hi guys. My 2000 takeuchi TL126 wont shut off. I usually keep it stored inside during winter, so it doesnt get rain or snowed on alot. I recently noticed it wasnt starting real well, the battery was going dead. Maybe a short somewhere?:beatsme So i was going to charge it and check my alternator. I went to shut the tractor off, and it wont stop. I turn the key and the electrics all turn off, but the tractor keeps running. I fiddled with the switch, sprayed it with WD40, nothing. I couldnt figure how to shut it off so i stalled it. I charged the battery and it starts fine now, but still wont shut off. Now i have to get out, turn switch off, open engine compartment, and cover air intake with may hand to choke it out. This sucks!!!:Banghead anybody ever have this happen before? Is it the ignition switch or something deeper? I plan to take it out and try another one. Any advice?

Replies28
  1. #1andoman2010-11-27 20:19

    I'd check you major wire bundles coming off the ignition any looseness or play in the bundles can allow the coating to rub off the wire and ground it out. I've also had chipmunks get into a skid and raise havoc on the electrical system. :my2c I always start with easy stuff first.

  2. #2Colorado Digger2010-11-27 21:36

    whats up your location. last time i checked it was still California

  3. #3willie592010-11-27 21:40

    I don't know anything about Tak machines. What kind of engine and shut down system does it have on it?

  4. #4sick&tired2010-11-28 13:45

    Its a 2000 Takeuchi TL126 CTL. It has a 68hp Isuzu 4JB1 4 cyl diesel. Im not sure what kind of shut down system it has, it is 12V all electric, no kill switch or stop lever of any kind, just the key. I have looked at the wire harness' and seems clean. If i get a chance today i will take off the counsel and see what is up.

  5. #5willie592010-11-28 18:34

    I'm not sure about your engine, but many 4JB1 engines use a Bosch VE injection pump. If that's what is on your engine, it should have a shut off solenoid screwed into the top of the high pressure head to cut off fuel feeding the head for delivery to injectors.

  6. #6cartzblown94z2010-11-29 11:49

    sounds like an issue with the shutdown solenoid system to me too, should ne the only plug on the inj pump

  7. #7sick&tired2010-11-29 16:12

    Thanks guys. I will look at that. The injector pump is kinda buried and hidden in there under/behind air cleaner. I removed the counsel, checked every wire connection i could see with cab forward. Cleaned all connections with WD40, and didnt find anything out of the norm. I'll take a look at my parts book and see if i can find it. Is there a way to check it? Ohmeter etc.? I dont need to be wasteing money on a new switch if thats not the problem.

  8. #8cartzblown94z2010-11-29 16:29

    on most vehicles the solniod usually doesnt go bad its normally and relay thats operates it that can cuase the problems. they are notorious to cause issues in cummins engines in the dodge trucks, normally its the relay bad not the soleniod. FYI

  9. #9sick&tired2010-11-30 13:12

    CB94z- Thanks. I will check that next. Guys as for the injector pump, i rolled the cab forward and from what i could see, It is a ZEXEL pump. There are NO wires going to it at all, or even any in the immediate area other than starter. I looked for some type of solenoid and could find any. My parts book doesnt give much description on location, but it does mention a solenoid and shows one in several different mounting brackets, none of which i seem to have or can find. Does anyone else here have TL126 or similar with the isuzu motor? Maybe you can point out what i am missing. I didnt remove the air cleaner can yet to get a better look, so im not sure if its in there hidden like.

  10. #10willie592010-11-30 19:33

    I don't have access to parts pages for your machine, would it be possible for you to post some pics of injection pump? What type of throttle control does it have, manual cable/linkage from a control lever or electronic controlled throttle?

  11. #11Willis Bushogin2010-11-30 21:43

    Tl126 Im almost sure that the one I had, cut off with the key switch, which means it has a solenoid on the injection pump. When it worked correctly, did it cut off with the switch key, or did you have shut it off with the throttle Maybe my brain is losing some of its memory cells, but maybe the machine I had, did have the to be cut off by pushing the throttle all the way past idle. If this is your setup, maybe the throttle cable has slipped, or the throttle arm on the injection pump slipped. I would take the throttle cable off the throttle arm, at injection pump and try to start and stop it manually. If it wont start with the throttle arm all the way closed, then its in the cable or throttle lever linkage. If it doesnt shut off, then its inside the injection pump Again this, is if its a manual shutoff system (with the throttle lever) If its the key switch cutoff style, its got to have a wire on the injection pump, unless it has a remote fuel valve that is staying open all the time, but even this has to have a wire going to it. I will check to see if I still have my service manual.

  12. #12DirtHauler2010-11-30 21:59

    Hoop up jumper cables off of a good battery then try to shut it down.

  13. #13Jlillie22010-12-01 08:56

    For now you could probably just put a switch on the fuel pump to kill the flow. My machine (Takeuchi TB25) is cable cut off, so its just a mechanical thing for me, I don't have the electronic return to idle control like your machine has. But in leiu of having a tech look at it, cutting the fuel flow should do the job.

  14. #14DirtHauler2010-12-01 09:04

    Nevermind what i said, i got confused and did not read your post completely.

  15. #15Jlillie22010-12-01 09:08

    here is a link to a parts breakdown to your machine: (And others) http://www.mwesales.com/parts-takeuchi.html

  16. #16sick&tired2010-12-01 11:40

    Hi everyone. I really want to thank you guys for all your help. I think with all of your info i will be able to narrow it down. Im going to remove the air cleaner today to get a better look. I will try to take a few pics and post them later when i get a chance. S&T

  17. #17Larry@crains2011-03-01 20:29

    happened to me My boss has the same skid steer. We use it for digging trees on the nursery so it's in opperation every day. I had the same problem trying to figure out why the solinoid wouldn't shut down the engine. I put a quick fix manual shut off on the thing since we use it all the time. I'm still trying to figure out the reason it's not working right. Every time I have it in the shop I mess with it to see if there was something I missed. This all started last summer. I'm replacing the ignition switch because it seems to be worn out now. The starter wont kick unless the key gets moved around. Hopefully that will fix the shut down problem as well. If you figured out the problem with yours I'd love to know what it took to fix the problem!

  18. #18pemolitor2011-03-03 21:59

    my tl26 did the same thing. there is a relay that controls the shut down solinoid. They are a common problem on Taks.

  19. #19bobbcat2012-03-25 11:35

    Did you ever find a fix for this? My machine is doing the same thing. Was thinking of putting a shutoff on the fuel line temporarily until I can figure out the real fix

  20. #20msjones3602012-08-20 12:08

    Ditto, "bobbcat." My TL26 won't shut off either and my mechanic says its the Engine Stop Solenoid, but I don't want to spend $400 on that if its just a relay. If you figured out the problem on yours any input would be helpful. Thanks, MJ

  21. #21Jlillie22012-08-21 09:02

    Once the power is cut, what is keeping the electric fuel pump pumping? Even if the selonoid wasn't functioning eventually the engine should stop due to starvation if the pump is no longer delivering fuel. And if thats still pumping, I'd be worried about why I had power when there shouldn't be any with the key off.

  22. #22msjones3602012-08-21 10:13

    I never let it run long enough to see if it starves itself...I knew it was like that when I bought it and the previous owner showed me how to idle it down and stall it. Is there any way to test the solenoid just to make sure its not a less expensive relay?

  23. #23Jlillie22012-08-21 10:18

    The selonoid should be 12V, if you disconnect it from power and driectly jumper it, it should click (I'm not sure if that one is momentary or latching, but in any event, if it doesn't click at all, its probably dead.) When you first turn the key on before starting the machine, can you hear the electric fuel pump running?

  24. #24msjones3602012-08-21 10:37

    It is up at my mechanics. I'll have to ask him to try jumping it. Thanks for the tip. As for the fuel pump, I'm not sure as I never really listened for it, but it always cranks right up.

  25. #25msjones3602012-08-21 10:40

    Also, would anyone know where I can find these Takeuchi Parts at a decent price...not sure on the solenoid yet, but do need the other two. Used is fine as long as they work. 1998 Takeuchi TL26 (TL26-2) Serial# 2620198 or 2620798 (kind of hard to read) I need the following parts: Engine Stop Solenoid: Part # I8-94453-3411 Left Pilot Valve: # 1901723300 Left Joystick Boot: # 1901710941

  26. #26Jlillie22012-08-21 11:00

    There is a Tak dealer in Georgia that I have followed on FB for a while: 519 Bonnie Valentine Way Pendergrass, Georgia 30567 (706) 693-3600 Just to warn you in advance, Takeuchi support of older gear is pretty bad, a lot of the OEM's don't support them past ten years, sometimes less. For example, the track motor in my tb25 is shot, and I can't get gears for it. On the bright side, there are replacments for pretty much anything else if you look around a bit. (My fuel pump for example is from Kubota, same PSI........)

  27. #27msjones3602012-08-21 11:11

    Thanks, Jillie2. I talked to them and they actually do have everything in stock for it. I'm going to search around a bit, but at least its there if I have to buy new. Thanks again for your help. MJ

  28. #28Jlillie22012-08-21 11:13

    Not a problem, at least they have it, so thats an option. B-)