Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL12R2 – Crank, no-start – Where is my fuel shutoff solenoid?

BigAl'sDirtWorks ยท 2025-04-14 16:52

Hi all! Hope you can help me get back up and running. I've got a 2018 TL12R2 with about 2500hrs. It was running great when I parked it a couple of months ago after a Kentucky snowfall. When I went to restart it a few weeks ago, it would crank and crank but wouldn't start. The operator's screen showed one flashing bar for the fuel gauge reading and the machine was beeping at me, like it was completely out of fuel - only the tank was full. It's true that I didn't winterize this fuel. I won't make that mistake again! Cleaned a bunch of jelly out of the water separator, put in new fuel filters x 2, but it still won't start and the screen is showing the same thing. I've been told to check my fuel shutoff solenoid, but I can't even find it. Can anyone help me locate it on this machine, please? Anything else I need to be checking? It was running perfectly when I put it away in December. TIA, -Alan

Replies7
  1. #1thepumpguysc2025-04-14 20:48

    On a quick search it looks like u have an electric supply pump to feed the main pump (CR).. can u hear it running when u turn the key on..??

  2. #2ozarkag2025-04-14 22:30

    as he says ^ If mice are nibbling wires maybe got both the fuel Guage and the lift pump wires. If ( or when) lift pump runs, verify fuel pressure at main high pressure pump. Should be consistent at least 8 psi.

  3. #3BigAl'sDirtWorks2025-04-17 17:13

    Thanks for the pointers. I'm slow to respond because I'm trying to work on this in my "off" time. My lift pump seems to be working. I'm not able to test fuel pressure, but if I unscrew my fuel filter, it spits out plenty of fuel when I turn the key. I located my fuel supply pump. On top of it (circled in blue on the part diagram) is what I assume is the fuel shutoff solenoid. I hear this click loudly when I apply power to it. Should it be receiving power when my key is in the "run" position? It is not receiving power in the "run" position and I don't have a helper to test whether it receives power in the "start" position. However, if I energize the solenoid and crank the engine, still nothing. My readout screen is showing a flashing single bar of fuel, even though the tank is full. Do you know what could account for this? Everything sounds healthy when I crank the engine; just sounds as though it's not getting any fuel. But even if there's a fuel-delivery problem, I would still expect the fuel tank gauge to register as full.

  4. #4TXRweather2025-04-17 17:43

    Crack an injector line to see if the injection pump is putting out fuel. If you don't have any fuel at the injector, then start working your way backwards until you find the fuel issue. Will it hit on a whiff of ether?

  5. #5ozarkag2025-04-17 18:34

    No DO NOT. This is a high pressure common rail system, and cracking lines is dangerous, and will not help. In fact, Kubota recommends replacing and injector line if it is loosened.

  6. #6ozarkag2025-04-17 18:41

    This is an electronically controlled engine, It does not have a fuel shutoff solenoid as such. The blue circled item its the SCV, or suction control valve. It does in fact control the fuel flow, but is controlled by a variable signal from the computer. 12V power could potentially fry it. The fuel gauge has no connection to the engine computer, and the only way it would cause an issue would be if in fact the tank was empty. You really need to be able to hook up a diagnostic computer at this point. Also, see this thread, same pump on yours. HeavyEquipmentForums

  7. #7BigAl'sDirtWorks2025-04-23 11:47

    Solved! Update: The issue was corrosion somewhere in the power line to the suction control valve I previously referenced (on top of the high-pressure fuel pump). Someone fixed this for me, so I don't have the exact details, but he said it was a problem in getting power to that valve. He also cleaned off a bunch of my relays. I'm still confused why putting 12v to the SCV didn't let the machine run, but that may be because, as ozarkag said, it's variably controlled by the computer. Thank you all for the help!