Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL140 being “jumpy”?

bandit12 ยท 2010-05-11 10:23

I have a TL140 that my dad and I bought new a couple of years ago. We have about 170 hrs on it. Last week, especially while making turns, it was getting real jumpy. Not smooth as it normally has been. Also, when you want to stop, it throws you forward. It is all joystick controls. The bucket controls are still smooth as silk. The hydraulic levels and track tension are normal. We called our dealer and they have never heard of one doing this. The mechanic has been trying to get hold of a rep to see if they might know what is going on. The mechanic thinks it might be something in the braking system. Anyone else have this similar thing happen?

Replies2
  1. #1bandit122010-05-13 11:25

    Guess no one else has had this happen.

  2. #2Allgood2010-05-14 22:50

    If I'm not mistaken, there's a really expensive hydraulic filter on the right side of the machine when you open the back. It will likely be a yellow filter and have notches in the top so you can use a big spanner wrench to get it off. Being rather new, it's possible that you have some restricted hydraulic flow as it wore off pieces breaking in. I believe there's another hydro filter on it somewhere and the oil filter is on top of the engine and you raise the housing to get to it. I was told by a parts guy that it takes more hydraulic flow to drive the machine than run the bucket and a slight decrease in flow would be seen there first. I thought he just wanted to sell me that danged really expensive filter. It turned out that he was right. I changed the filter (if you do, remember to fill the filter with hydraulic fluid before installing) and all was well and has been since. I can't recall how many hours that was, but I just crossed over 700 hours in the last week or so. Hope it may help. You may want to ask a tech who knows them. That danged filter was almost $80! Nobody else has them or can get them but your dealer either. Believe me, I tried! Good luck!