Ok, I have a gehl ctl70, which is a takeuchi tl140 with yellow paint. The trouble i'm having is that the emergency shutdown system is not allowing the engine to start. Upon turning the key the check engine light flashes alternating upper and lower and a hear a solenoid close. The engine will crank, but will not fire. It happened once before and repeatedly turning the key on and off eventually allowed the motor to start - and it didn't not make the engine light flash either. I've been instructed to check the grounds as a mechanic thinks that I have a faulty ground causing a problem. I'm curious if I don't have a wire rubbed thru... Machine is an '07 with 1300 hrs
isnt there a relay by your feet(behind cover) that is known to go bad? i thought i read that somewhere.
haven't heard about that... anyone know more about what my problems might be?
Had lots of problems with the coolant level sender in the upper rad hose. It gets air locked, and then you cant start.
Hi StumpJumper83, I know this is a long shot, but do you remember what your problem was with your gehl ctl70 when the engine emergency lamp was flashing and keeping your machine from starting? I had the exact same thing happen to my TL140 several times this month. Letting it turn over for 10 seconds, then shutting the key on/off a few times will usually get that lamp to turn off. When it's turned off the machine will fire right up. When it's flashing it will just crank but not fire. I figure when that lamp is flashing it's not allowing fuel to make it to the engine. I'm just trying to figure out what would cause it to flash on start up, then go out in most cases after cranking, then turning the key on/off a few times.
Shut off solenoid fuse/relay.. dirty connector.?? If memory serves me, the fuse panel is at your heels.. right where all the mud from your boots end up.
Wow, thanks for getting back to me! Ok, I will start looking at that fuse box. Just like you describe, it's just behind the heel of my right boot. I bought this machine a couple months ago and that fuse cover was missing, and it is a mess in there, lots of mud. I'll do some cleaning and try to focus on the fuse that controls the shut off solenoid.
It’ll be a good idea to get a new cover..
Yes, I put an order in for that cover a few weeks ago, but Takeuchi still hasn't gotten it to my dealer. I will get it installed as soon as it arrives. On a side note, when I was cleaning the fuse box up, I found the tabs of FUSE 1 to be broken off in the box! I used a knife to get one out, but had a heck of a time with the second tab, never did see it fall out. I put a new fuse in spot one which appears to go to the horn based on the wiring diagram. It is looser than the others, so this may be the issue. I did purchase a new fuse box, but was a little nervous to swap it out, not knowing what I'd be getting myself into. Has anyone swapped out a fuse box on one of these TL140 machines before? I'm not sure how much room I would have to unhook and reconnect all the wiring to the new box.
Did you check the coolant level or sensor?
I did some trouble shooting with that sensor in the upper radiator hose. I unplugged the connection and connected it to ground, as I read that is all this sensor does when it senses water. It didn't have any affect, the engine emergency lights still flashed when I turned the key on. Also if that sensor was bad, I would think it would be consistent, but in my case when I toggle the key on/off a few times, the engine emergency light will sometimes not come on and it starts up. In this case I'll run the machine for hours without an issue, the emergency light doesn't come back on while running. Only after shutting it back off, then turning the key on will the problem occur again.
I always had trouble with the triple relays above your feet, when seated in the machine. Once hand soldered, the problem never returns. Here... HeavyEquipmentForums
Ok, thanks for pointing this thread out. I haven't looked at those relays near your right foot yet, I might open those up and verify those all look to be in good shape.
You won't be able to see any solder cracks. Best to just reheat and reflow them all.
Oh, you'll see the cracks. They will be rings visible around the pins, due to cold solder joints. And, remember, only the two "triple" relays come apart. They have two harness plugs and a center plug socket. You'll need a 10mm socket to dismount them. Each of the "triples" is retained by a single nut. Don't bother with any of the others, as they don't come apart.
I couldn't see anything obvious on my relays, but i resoldered all the joints, which fixed my problem.
HEYMCCALL, On the TL150 do these three relays have anything to do with the intake preheat circuit? When I turn the key left the preheat light doesn’t come on but after machine starts that light starts illuminating. As I’ve heard you suggest to others these big relays as trouble spots multiple times I plan to check it out tomorrow on the TL150 and resolder as needed. Any suggestions where else to look to find out what’s going on with the preheat circuit would be very helpful as well. I don’t know this machine but see you’ve had multiple tl150s! Thank you HEYMCCALL
I'd start by replacing the glow lamp timer. Not sure how to test it easily.
I notice when I turn key left, the light briefly stays on, but goes out even if i still hold key left. But I know it's still preheating without the light on, because I have actually tested the voltage at the glow plug rail while holding the key.
Thank you Mccalll, I’ll start with that glow lamp timer and the relays then start a new thread when I know more.
Interesting so I’m assuming yours is working the way it’s supposed to work? So that light only comes on initially not the whole time? I wish I was more familiar with these Takeuchi’ s. So far I like everything about it (well except trying to change or battery or adjust the belt Lol).
You'd think the light would stay on while holding the key. But it down doesn't at least on my machine. I'm original owner. Always been like that.
On TB machines, it says lamp stays on.
How about on your TL150’s McCall?
I no have TL150 operators manual digitally.
Tl140 manual.