Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Track Crap-Shoot

JNB · 2015-07-19 13:36

I have 1240 hours on my OEM Bridgestones right now. The tread still has a lot of life, but there are a few deep cuts all the way across and the insides of the tracks are pretty bad. Its steel to steel at the sprocket contact points. I just replaced the sprockets to try to get more life out of the tracks. I haven't priced Bridgestones yet, but Prowler / MWE tracks run roughly $2400 and Camoplast XHD's $2900 delivered. I'm interested (mostly) in the C-lug designs. I understand that most of the aftermarket tracks are Chinese, but I don't know which of the "names" have actual control over the manufacturing process. Not sure where Camoplast tracks are manufactured. An internet search brings up some bad reviews about Solideal/Camoplast, but all of the reviews are pretty old. Same goes for McClaren. I've only seen one actual photo of Prowler tracks with any hours on them. The photos were of the multi-bar tread design, worn down to the nub at 1000 hours with steel hanging out. Prowler does say that the multi-bar treads wear quite a bit faster than C-lugs. So...what I'm requesting is actual first hand "recent" experience with Camoplast or Prowler / MWE tracks. Hours used / conditions, etc. Or have you had a good experience with another manufacturer? And photos if you have them. And for what its worth, my tracks rarely touch pavement, but I do run on gravel quite a bit.

Replies37
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2015-07-19 23:54

    Recent experience of a close friend says stay clear of the aftermarket and pay the money for the Bridgestones. McClaren did not last much longer than the Camoplast, and after a broken OEM (Bridgestone) due to a poor operator decision, one of each of the replacements was needed, plus a little of a third, to match the life of the other OEM track.

  2. #2Fastdirt2015-07-20 22:12

    Before replacing my tracks last summer I asked my H.E. mechanic for advise. He said the best aftermarket tracks were Rubertrax in Conyers Ga. He's been in the game for a long time and I took his advise. I haven't put a lot of hours on them so I can't give a long term review. It's an option for you with a positive reference. They are a huge outfit claiming to be the biggest dedicated rubber track warehouse in the country. They ship nationwide coast to coast regularly with a new West Coast warehouse. http://www.rubbertrax.com/ I think they were around $3k for a TL150 and the OEM were close to $5k if I remember correctly.

  3. #3skata2015-07-22 02:58

    you got over 1200 hours on the original bridgestones. i'd say stick with the tried and true tracks, instead of trying to save a few bucks up front.

  4. #4JNB2015-07-23 19:24

    Thanks for all the info so far guys. And skata...I have thought about going with OE tracks again, but I haven't priced them yet. I noticed a bit of steel cord showing at the bottom of one of the tread cuts today. First I've seen that. I'm still going to run 'em til they die.

  5. #5trackguy2015-07-29 14:01

    Thanks Fastdirt, we appreciate it! Eric Capps Rubbertrax Inc

  6. #6Ipatrickj8652015-08-01 20:55

    I have a T300 with 3600 hours. Firestone's get around 1500 hours. Others get about half that. There is no equal replacement for the Firestone's short of going to metal tracks. If it's a farm machine...who cares. If you count on it every day...don't cheap out.

  7. #7JNB2015-08-04 14:51

    Pretty sure you mean Bridgestone. Anyway, I got pretty good hours on them, but the way the insides of the track deteriorate I'm not completely sold on them as replacements. Thanks again Fastdirt. Eric from Rubbertrax shot me some very good pricing, so it looks like I'll be ordering from him when the unavoidable need arises.

  8. #8Jlazaro3172015-08-04 21:56

    I've used the Prowler and am happy with them. We've probably burned through 3-4 sets of the straight lug. I get about 800 hours out of them religiously and we run on pavement, dirt, gravel, and stone....and we work them hard. I prefer the Bridgestones but don't like the added cost. I get anywhere from 800-1200 hours out of them.

  9. #9pafarmer2015-08-05 04:52

    Bridge stones I would have to say are the best. That being said if you are getting 1000 hrs on anyone's tracks you are doing pretty good in my opinion...

  10. #10Jlazaro3172015-08-05 06:57

    Agreed. My justification on not buying them again is twice the price for only 50% more life. If it was twice the life, it would be a no brainer.

  11. #11rockman2015-08-08 16:17

    Got a Tak TL12 , got around 750 hours on standard Bridgestones , will be lucky to get 500 out of McLarens . All my work is on asphalt ,either profiling or sweeping so I can accept the low hours

  12. #12lumberjack2015-08-08 16:21

    Why use a track loader if you're always on asphalt?

  13. #13rockman2015-08-08 16:35

    My business used to consist of a small amount of profiling /sweeping work and the rest was doing house pads When the building industry stopped I went full time doing the profiling work At the time Takeuchi had not brought out there wheeled machine so I stuck with what I know I also have an asphalt screed that I use for laying and the tracks allow more traction to push it when I am out wider or it gets over-filled They may be an old uncomfortable dinosaur but the Tak's work well for me

  14. #14lumberjack2015-08-08 17:07

    Makes sense, they're great for dirt work. I had a TL250 for my first track loader, it was a great pusher!

  15. #15Georgia Iron2015-08-12 22:09

    I think i paid about 2300 for a set of itr. HeavyEquipmentForums So far they are awesome. But they leave ruts and tear the grass off in about 1 pass.

  16. #16Shimmy12015-09-07 23:30

    What are some things to look for on the tracks to see how they are doing? I have ran the hell out of my 770 this summer on the shop project, a couple of tree jobs, and a couple of other jobs. Have almost 200 hrs on it and the tracks still look like new. I know I'm probably going to get some flack, but when I'm running it, it's ¾ to full throttle, and only comes out of high if it can't push it. I obviously slow down on rough stuff, but when I'm grading and the site is good, it's wide open as fast as it'll go. I never had tracks before this one, and I'll never have tires again.

  17. #17JNB2015-09-08 10:27

    Shimmy - In my case there was plenty of tread left and a lot of cuts / some chunkinig, but the insides of both tracks had huge cracks where the rollers ride. I'm sure water getting in there with some grit just makes it worse. I just noticed that I didn't update this thread when I replaced the tracks. I had 1240 hours on the Bridgestones when I started the thread and didn't get another 2 hours on them before two of the steel lugs on one track broke right where it runs over the sprocket. I got a set of new block pattern tracks from Rubbertrax, along with new rear idlers. So far I'm right at 40 hours on the tracks. No cuts yet and the little molding ribs on the tread blocks are still there. We'll see how they hold up.

  18. #18AMTequipParts2015-12-04 13:51

    Over the last 10 years or so I've dealt with ITR rubber tracks. They are an excellent solution to avoid paying high OEM prices. The quality of the tracks are very comparable to other brands out there online. I personally owned a Bobcat T190 and my machine had ITR tracks on it. They held up very well in mud, loose dirt, deep woods, etc. Even doing some concrete demo with the machine and running over jagged concrete, they resisted a lot of cracks and tears that other tracks wouldn't have. I have nothing bad to say about their tracks and when it comes to saving money and getting a product that holds up just as well as OEM, these are perfect.

  19. #19HRPServicesTX2016-01-04 09:40

    JNB.....the new pattern tread you got is it different than the OEM you had? If so can you notice any improvements in traction/pushing? I have about 1050 hours on my oem bridgestone big block pattern and saving up for replacements. I'm looking into either the C pattern, or possibly prowler EXT if I can find reviews on them. I want something that is better traction than that big block tread pattern.

  20. #20JNB2016-01-04 20:49

    I ended up getting the same block pattern as the Bridgestones, but the new ones do push harder. I don't know if it's the deeper tread because they're new, or possibly a bit softer compound, but it's very noticeable. I've been running into a lot of ground water and sharp limestone for the last couple of months installing precast culvert ends, but the tracks only have a couple of small cuts. I'm pretty careful to keep them from spinning, but no chunking which surprises me. The new tracks do have a lot less vibration than the old ones on hardpack and asphalt. Overall I'm happy with them so far. Not sure what the EXT tread pattern is, but the new OEM pattern I saw on a New Holland machine looked pretty interesting.

  21. #21KSSS2016-01-04 21:58

    I am getting to the point of needing tracks and and sprockets. I like the look of the new CNH track. I think it would be better in snow and ice than the Bridgestone block pattern. I have been talking to guys with the new CNH pattern and so far it is holding up well.

  22. #22HRPServicesTX2016-01-04 22:44

    I guess I'll have to Google that tread pattern, not sure I've noticed the new ones, unless they're the C lug style? The EXT tracks from prowler are like a tractor tread, one direction. They look real interesting just can't find a whole lot of reviews on them, or life expectancy from a dif style tread.

  23. #23JNB2016-01-05 18:33

    I grabbed the first link that came up, but you can see one of the new tread patterns here http://weltsch.com/3-year-warranty-on-new-holland-skid-steer-and-compact-track-loaders/ . The tracks in the photos is an offset straight lug, but not the pattern I was thinking of. I saw another at the local dealership that looked a bit like the Camoplast "z" pattern, but with more space between the lugs. I'll see if I can get a pic this week and name off of the tracks. Edit - Ah...My memory failed me on the z pattern, but I found the pattern I was thinking of in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1hFYYfVwY .

  24. #24HRPServicesTX2016-01-05 18:56

    I see, yeah looks like the mtl style tracks, except looks like the lugs might be a little larger and possibly wouldn't chip as bad? I've seen a pattern fairly close to that but looked like the lugs were spaced a little further apart. I'm trying to find a tread pattern to use the machines power to the full extent, with it weighing 11.5k# I want to utilize the traction force the best I can. As well as being a good pattern for rock. I'm real easy on the machine in rock, no tight turns, no spinning. I would say 1/4 of the machines life so far is on large rock, and gravel.

  25. #25JNB2016-01-05 19:44

    I hear ya! The guy at Prowler told me, block pattern for best wear and C pattern for more pushing power. I flip-flopped between the two for awhile before I waited too long and had to have new tracks NOW. If I had planned it out better I probably would've talked myself into the C's.

  26. #26Tags2016-01-05 19:48

    I'm thinking of getting these as my next set of tracks for my 90. The dealer I bought it from has been offering them as an option to the block pattern and say they've had good luck with em. It's camoplast/solideal that makes em and they have some other decent looking options as well. http://camso.co/en/products-solutio...amso_redirect,camso_redirect&productType=1219

  27. #27HRPServicesTX2016-01-05 23:03

    Just saw a pattern straight lug, slightly offset McLaren next gen tdf. Sounds like a fairly extreme pattern for heavy duty applications from the specs. Tags...what block pattern was it the dealer was having good luck with from camso?

  28. #28KSSS2016-01-06 00:49

    The company that makes those tracks is Hiqual. I sent out for price quote.

  29. #29Tags2016-01-06 07:27

    Sorry, wrong link. Try this one. http://camso.co/en/products-solutio...direct,camso_redirect&productType=1219&p=CO44 They are using this style instead of the block style.

  30. #30JNB2016-01-06 07:55

    Thanks for figuring that one out. Tags - I wonder how those smaller lugs on the track in your link would hold up in rocky conditions. The other track they offer looks interesting http://camso.co/en/products-solutions/construction/products?utm_source=camso.co,camoplastsolideal.com&utm_medium=redirect_construction,redirect&utm_campaign=camso_redirect,camso_redirect&productType=1219&vehicleType=1236 . I like the way they modified the C for better cleanout and possibly better traction (?).

  31. #31HRPServicesTX2016-01-06 09:03

    I am also curious about that track holding up in Rocky conditions. I've seen that track pattern on I think both Volvo, and JCB ctl's from the factory. I sent off for a price quote on the McLaren next gen tdf tracks. The specs make it sound like its for extreme conditions and good choice for Rocky ground and gravel.

  32. #32KSSS2016-01-06 12:06

    The price I got back from HiQual on the tracks posted in JNB's link is $2500 for both tracks with shipping to Idaho.

  33. #33JNB2016-01-06 18:53

    That's a real good price KSSS.

  34. #34HRPServicesTX2016-01-06 20:33

    That is a real good price, what's the quality of that brand though? There's a dif track that I like from 3 brands. I may be trying to order tracks in May. I'm still waiting on a quote for those McLaren tracks.

  35. #35KSSS2016-01-07 21:53

    Well for what it is worth I found this out. CNH went to this brand of track and tread design, they increased some of their performance specs by doing so over the Bridgestone. I believe this to be due to the tread design. I also suspect, but don't know first hand that this tread design may not last as long as the typical BS CTL track for the same reason. Those big flat pads wear pretty well especially on hard surfaces. I don't think this tread from HiQual will last as long simply due to the tread design. I am tempted to order a set and just have them on hand if I break one, which like happened to JNB could happen to me at anytime.

  36. #36HRPServicesTX2016-01-07 21:58

    Here's what McLaren replied to my question regarding track style on rocks.... Our Next Gen TDF track is specifically designed to hold up better than any other track out there for working in rock and gravel. Also, does well in snow. It actually has more rubber on the inside of the track to take the beating from the undercarriage of your machine. They quoted this at $3600 delivered for a Kubota svl90 with 17.5" wide tracks.

  37. #37HRPServicesTX2016-01-07 22:14

    Those bridgestone big flat block style tread came on my machine. I use a bit on gravel and rock...but I am careful on it and how I turn, etc. I've got 1100 hours on the tracks, they have cuts and chunks out of the tread, and just has started to pit in the last 200 hours. The depth of the tread is measured half a new track. I've been pleased with the tracks, just feel maybe there's a better pattern for more traction and still hold up to rocks good.