Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL150 window spring issues

heymccall ยท 2013-05-06 22:48

I have two TL150's (for some 8+ years now), and the gas springs for the windshield wear out on me. Wearing out is not the issue here. Today's issue is that they keep sending me gas springs (0880865124, same number I've always purchased), and they are, IMHO, DEFECTIVE. To mount the new one's every time in the past, the lower anchor plate needed rotated down, by loosening one and removing the other bolt, to install the spring on the studs, followed by leveraging the lower anchor plate into position with a large crescent wrench. I was never "man enough" to compress them and install them without loosening the lower mounting plate. The SIX new ones here can all be compressed with a thumb and forefinger, either on or off the machine. AND, they actually impair the operator's ability to latch the window into the UP position. They are made by KYB, but, good luck getting them to share the pressure rating. Takeuchi was just as unknowledgeable. Mine are all stamped 7X90, preceded by a 4 digit date code. Takeuchi in Atlanta said A) SIX cannot be defective (with 4 different date codes, no less), and 2) go compare them to a new machine. The distinct defects are A) they do NOT noticeably assist in opening the door/ window 2) they slow the travel so much that they actually prevent the window from latching in the overhead position iii) the window no longer "pops" back when opening from the closed, or down, position d) my best guess is that they have about a 15# force exerted to aid in closing, when, I suspect they should be at least 40# Shirley, someone else has had this issue????? I've got two more coming Wednesday, from another dealer, who insists that the ones they are shipping CANNOT be readily compressed. I shall wait and see, but, has anyone encountered this. The windshield actually works best with failed or missing springs, and, that just isn't right.

Replies3
  1. #1stovein2013-05-07 08:35

    If they still dont work go to your local auto parts store. The NAPA store here has gas assist springs of various lengths and I have bought them for projects. Those are very hard to compress but when in place work well. If the mounting holes are right it may be a alternative.

  2. #2phil_w2013-05-07 18:13

    I have a TL150 and I had mine re-gassed . I don't know what pressure was used but they seem to work ok.

  3. #3Shblack2019-11-10 20:26

    How did you have them re-gassed? Tired of the lid over the engine dropping down on me and having to struggle to open the cab door