Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL250/Mustang MTL325

lumberjack ยท 2013-06-04 00:30

I'm a dealer rep for Gehl/Mustang on the side, and on a contracting company on the side (Branching out from a tree service). I am in a possible position to get a new TL250/MTL325 high flow with cab and air at a fantastic price. I'll have to sell my AL540, but it's looking like I have a large dirt job (1k cut/~5k fill house pad and drive) to do and need a CTL. Rental would be $2500 or so. Do the job then sell the CTL if need be. It's time to sell/replace the AL540 as well (do it every year). My question is, what are the problems/weak areas/etc of the Taks? I'm going to call the dealer support service department tomorrow and see what problems they ran/run into. From everything I've read over the years they're like tanks and are highly suitable for doing dirt work. Thanks for the knowledge! Carl

Replies7
  1. #1Digdeep2013-06-04 09:48

    If Im not mistaken the MTL325 and the T250 are the same machines so you should have good access to Mustang service records on this machine being a Mustang rep.

  2. #2lumberjack2013-06-04 09:52

    They are the same machine, and yes I can get information through Gehl/Mustang. We phased out the Takeuchi CTLs and brought the production in house as of last year. I'm looking for end user's thoughts/comments/reflections on the unit. As my main source of income is tree work, it makes me a bit nervous to get rid of the AL540 and only have the AL140 and a yard destroying (by comparison to the 540) CTL. But, when opportunity knocks you've gotta take in all the information possible and make the best decision.

  3. #3Digdeep2013-06-04 11:23

    No doubt you'll see a big difference with the amount of site repair you'll have to do in yards. My only experience (other than operating them through the years without owning) is through a salesman I know. My understanding from him, and this has been confirmed by a Gehl service manager is that they seem to replace a lot of loader valves in the 2000-2500 hr window. other than that, it would only be the typical things that happen to all machines, leaks, electrical, etc. Good luck.

  4. #4lumberjack2013-06-04 12:48

    I would use the smaller AL140 until the 540 was replaced on most jobs I imagine. The loader valves is good info, thanks!

  5. #5dirtmonkey2013-06-04 16:35

    I have over 4k hours on my Ctl with proper simple maint. Run it right and it will treat you right.

  6. #6lumberjack2013-06-04 16:58

    Well... Got the job, 1300 yard cut 5500 yard fill. Now to finalize the 540 sale.

  7. #7lumberjack2013-06-14 20:47

    Delivered the 540 to Illnois yesterday, picked to the 325 today in Minnesota.