Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Taki TB290 being dumped when reaching 5000 hours

crazydane · 2024-01-04 10:50

Been looking at used TB290s and it seems almost all the ones for sale at reasonable prices are right around the 5,000 hour mark. For example: Do these typically only last about 5k hours before needing major repairs/overhaul? I can handle changing pins and bushings, but if the undercarriage is in need of a major overhaul at 5k hours, these might not be a great deal? I suspect the Yanmar engine in these are good for about 10k hours, assuming properly maintenance, but didn't know if other major component typically needs attention around the 5k mark? This would be for personal use around the farm for digging ponds, clearing wooded areas, etc. Looking to get a mulching head for it as well. Thanks

Replies53
  1. #1Georgia Iron2024-01-04 11:19

    Most large company sell the machines at 5k hours or 3 years. Rentals units get beat on. If it cranks up quick and the hydraulics don't whine and the track motors work well it is probably fine.

  2. #2crazydane2024-01-04 11:46

    Thanks! That makes sense. The machine I'm looking at is local to me. This one: 2016 TAKEUCHI TB290 For Sale in Staunton, Virginia 2016 TAKEUCHI TB290 For Sale in Staunton, Virginia at www.stauntontractors.com. Takeuchi TB290 Excavator, 5700 hours, C/H/A, air cold, 2 speed, Hydraulic Thumb, TAG quick coupler system, boom swing, rubber tracks, Plenty of power. Ready to work. www.stauntontractors.com As far as I can tell, it was not a rental unit, but who knows. I watched the video and the bucket pins appear VERY loose and the boom pins appear sloppy as well, but nothing like the bucket. Of course it can be hard to judge from a video alone. I plan to go check it out this week. Anything else I should look for?

  3. #3heymccall2024-01-04 11:55

    I've got a bunch of Takeuchi TB180FR (4) and TB53FR (1) all going to auction in April. Anywhere from 6k to 12k hours, and they were all used hard. All are on original powertrains, one got final drive seals. I won't say that they all got there uneventfully, but, other than sheer abuse, they were all relatively inexpensive to get to those hours. The most expensive piece on any of them is the engine.

  4. #4crazydane2024-01-04 16:23

    Good to know, thanks! So no issues with needing the replace seals on any of the cylinders or anything like that? Still on all original pins and bushings? I watched the video again for the local listing and it looks like all the bucket slop is in the quick connect coupler and not the actual pins. Having never had a Taki QC before, I don't know if that's a common issue.

  5. #5heymccall2024-01-04 16:57

    Rebushed just about every pin at bucket interface on every one of them, but, you'd never know it. Also replaced the arm (stick) on a TB53FR & a TB180FR. All of that was operator abuse, period. The TB53FR ripped the eye socket off the end, and the TB180FR sheared at the upper pin. IMHO, unless beat to death, or neglected, they are solid, well performing, machines. We've broken glass, joysticks, rubber tracks, and all kinds of other stuff, but, they keep on ticking.

  6. #6PeterG2024-01-04 20:08

    I'm very happy with the Takeuchi machines. I own a TB016, TB240, and TB153fr, and TL130 loader. The TB290 has a great reputation and I want one some day. It does not have the lower stick bushing problems of the early side to side FR models. I would suggest making sure of the following: 1. Find a very reputable dealer. Best to find a dealer that sells mini excavators and not just a few heavy equipment items. Also a maintenance log is helpful. I like Machinery Trader. Also maybe United Rental, as they can send you the maintenance log. 2. Make sure to get it with a thumb and multiple buckets if possible. 3. Check the air filter housing. The cover is only installed with three clips. I bought a used United Rental TAK that had an old housing where the cover had a hard time staying on. Of course the engine didn't last. That was before I knew anything. 4. If you can do a lot of the maintenance yourself, you should be fine. This forum can be a huge help!

  7. #7crazydane2024-01-04 22:14

    Really appreciate the feedback guys! I have a much better idea now on what to look out for. That one I was looking at got snatched up today. Fortunately I'm not in a super rush, so I'll take my time and keep looking. There's a Tak dealer 60 miles from me that two used TB290s in stock, but both are low hours, so the prices are very high (both are 2016 models, 256/1,130 hours with asking prices of $92k/80k respectively). Sort of strange that they have a 8 year old unit with only 256 hours on it. Regardless, those are both above what I'm willing to spend. As far as I know, all years are the same mechanically, with a rear camera being added from serial 185103514 and 3rd aux/dedicated coupler circuit added from serial 185108277. Not sure what that translates into as far as the year, but I'm guessing rear camera about 2018 and 3rd aux a year or two later. I'm sure others will come along with higher hours for more reasonable prices. Hoping to find a unit in fair condition in the $50k range, give or take that is in state (Virginia). I do have a BigTex 22GN trailer and Duramax 3500 truck, but hauling a TB290 will take me well above 26k and CDL territory although the trailer can handle it. Probably not a huge deal since its for private use and would be just a one time deal to bring it to the farm. I did clear some land a while back when we build mom's new house and I hauled logs to the mill with that truck & trailer. I went a wee bit over on some of those loads, lol: Yes, I do all my own maintenance on all my other equipment and have the shop/tools to do so.

  8. #8MG842024-01-05 06:54

    Unless you are dead set on the Takeuchi I’d also be looking for a Kubota kx080, Deere 85d (Hitachi ZX85) or Case CX80c. All of those are also made in Japan and are excellent machines.

  9. #9crazydane2024-01-05 07:24

    Definitely not married to the Takeuchi, but there are a couple of things drawing me to them: 1. More aux hydraulic flow than the others (at least the Kubota) 2. Better cab ergonomics/technology (compared to Kubota 080-4) I did look very closely at a new 057-5 and the cab is very nice and a significant upgrade over the 057-4, but aux flow is only about 16 GPM @ rated pressure. That would limit the mulching heads I can use with it, or at least make them work slower than with others. And I was quoted $81k for the base machine before QC coupler, thumb and buckets. The 080-5 is just now being released here in the states, so there will be no used ones available for a few years. A new one of those would be out of my budget. I'm a sucker for technology and want a unit with a nice LCD display where I can play with hydraulic settings and check maintenance intervals, etc. This is likely going to be my "forever" excavator, so I want to make sure it has everything I need now and in the future. I have a 2012 John Deere 5085M tractor with lots of attachments (including both front and rear grapples and a stump grinder) that I purchased new. It has given me 1,000 trouble free hours so far, and feel it will outlive me (I'm 58). Also picked up a new 2021 JD 1025R with FEL and 260B backhoe a couple of years back. It also has a front grapple. It has been great for small jobs around the house and what not, but it ain't no mini-ex. I'll take a closer look at the Case and Deere models you suggested as well to see what their ergonomics are like compared to the Takeuchi.

  10. #10heymccall2024-01-05 08:06

    We've got a Yanmar Vio55-6a and a Vio80-1a. Both have been virtually trouble free (they're going to auction, too). Biggest upfront bonus.....factory standard pin grabber bucket coupler.

  11. #11PeterG2024-01-05 11:51

    That budget is very low. I think you would need to spend more like $75,000 min. The older TB175 is a good machine. But if you like a newer machine (LCD screen), don't be afraid to look at the Tak TB260 which is exactly in your budget. That machine can load those logs easily. It just won't pull out large stumps as well. A bit easier to tow around too.

  12. #12KSSS2024-01-05 12:02

    What are you replacing all of those machines with? or is it downsizing.

  13. #13heymccall2024-01-05 14:14

    Boss is hanging it up. Auction in April. Everything goes.

  14. #14crazydane2024-01-05 18:07

    I'll add the Yanmar Vio80 to the list, thanks. Agree the standard pin grabber coupler is nice! @heymccall Where is it being auctioned off? PA is not that far from VA... I've been loading logs with the 5085M: (pic below is my old GN before I upgraded to the Big Tex). And skidding the logs with the Valby: Cleared about 10 acres of mature VA pines that way and hauled them to the mill. The proceeds pretty much paid for what I got in the 5085M and grabbles. Felling several hundred trees by myself and hauling them away was a lot of work though, and that was on the weekend outside my day job. I plan to clear another 10 acres of mature VA pines at some point, and an ex with a pivoting grabble would be a lot faster I'm sure compared to my current setup.

  15. #15crazydane2024-01-07 18:47

    I put together a comparison spreadsheet of the models I'm looking at: I have highlighted what I feel is the "winner" in each weight class (6 and 8 ton). The TB370 sits in the middle by itself but is closer in performance to the 8 ton units vs. the 6 ton ones. I plan to find ones sitting at dealers and check them out in person to see which ones I like the best. On paper, the Takeuchi seems to be the clear winner both in brute force as well as hydraulic flow. Wasn't able to find all the specs for all the models but you can kind of infer them.

  16. #16Georgia Iron2024-01-07 19:09

    So here in Georgia, I believe the logs must sitting in between metal uprights. I made brackets so that metal post could be installed if I am moving logs.

  17. #17KSSS2024-01-07 21:30

    I would just consider adding the Wacker Neuson ET90 if you have dealer support in your area. Performance wise it compares very well with the 290. I spent a week comparing both of them side by side, and the ET90 gives up nothing, pretty outstanding machine.

  18. #18crazydane2024-01-08 06:27

    That's probably true in Virginia as well. If I was doing this for a living/business, I would for sure make that modification. I think of the 100 or so loads I hauled to the mill, I did have one where the straps were loose when I got there from the logs shifting a little during transport. So yeah, I can see why they would want you to do that.

  19. #19crazydane2024-01-08 06:34

    That Wacker Neuson ET90 does look nice! Engine looks to be Deutz on the older ones and Perkins on the new ones. Not that those are bad engines, but I have never worked on them, where I'm quite familiar with Kubota and Yanmar engines. But the specs are definitely impressive!

  20. #20Vetech632024-01-08 08:07

    Do you need a skid steer loader too? There is one partially sunk in a lake in Alaska. Might go cheap! LOL

  21. #21crazydane2024-01-22 22:10

    I found a 2016 TB290 with only 1,100 hours on it that I was able to purchase for $55k. I think I did pretty good. There are no dings in the sheet metal anywhere. It was a rental unit (United Rentals) but I'm getting all the service records and other than worn/scraped off paint, it otherwise looks good and well maintained. I figured with only 1,100 hours, it couldn't have been abused THAT badly, or at least not enough for any permanent damage. It fired right up in 20 degree weather this morning. Rubber tracks are in great condition, with what looks like 90% left. Everything about it is nice and tight except for the QC coupler. It has a Wain Roy style TAG QC QC30 (1.75" pin), 24" TAG bucket and thumb. But I read, they tend to get loose real quick, which certainly appears to be the case with this one as well. Now this particular QC is of this variety: The bolts are both missing, but the seller said those do all out all the time. So maybe I just need to chase the threads and install new bolts to tighten it back up? Before I run out and buy a Wain Roy style attachments, would it be wise to invest in a Werk-Brau spring loaded manual coupler and sell the TAG 24" bucket and QC30 coupler? I'm assuming the TAG thumb would work fine with a QC manual coupler? What other reasonably priced alternatives are there, or should I just stick with the Wain Roy style (which I guess is the standard QC that comes on the Takeuchi machines?). Thanks

  22. #22Tags2024-01-23 06:44

    Congrats on your purchase, looks like a good unit. Wain Roy style couplers are simple and don’t cost a ton of money. That’s why rental places use them, it gives a simple, cheap way to switch buckets. They get loose and sloppy, no way to stop it other than constantly fiddling with the fit between coupler and bucket. It all depends what you are planning on doing with the machine. The problem is that it gets expensive to switch the coupler and get new buckets.

  23. #23Vetech632024-01-23 07:36

    Ide bet the hours are not correct.

  24. #24crazydane2024-01-23 07:54

    Fortunately the only bucket it came with is a 24" TAG. So that would be the only bucket that would need to be repurchased. And I would imagine I can get something for it and the TAG Wain Roy coupler? The unit does appear to have more hours on it, but the display does show 1,100 and change. Maybe it was replaced? The seat is also pretty worn. But the tracks do look about right for 1,100 hours I think? Unit is still at the seller and I haven't wired the balance of the funds, so let me see if I can get a hold of the service records and possibly negotiate the price down some more if the hours are incorrect.

  25. #25MG842024-01-23 13:06

    FWIW, I think those tracks have been changed before, they don't look like the OEM ones to me.

  26. #26crane operator2024-01-23 19:39

    As Vetech63 pointed out, the hours are likely not right. Its a 2016 and lived at a united rentals. Do you really think it was at their location- or anywhere else for that matter- for the last 8 years with only a little over 1,000 hrs of use? Of course not. The only other thing I noticed from the picture worth mentioning, is the paint missing in the circled yellow places. The bucket can't be up inside there, without removing the paint from the cylinders also. But a breaker can. And they've had a hose on the aux, vibrating around, to take that paint off. Like a breaker. Do I know for sure that's what they've had on it, or for how many hours- of course not. But its not only had just this bucket on it. None of this is to say that its a bad machine, its a 2016 so its "relatively" new. Just realize its come from a rental house with a breaker on it, not a little old lady that only drove it to church on sunday.

  27. #27Columbo2024-01-23 20:21

    Good eye! I was wondering what caused the paint wear between the cylinders like that but a breaker makes sense. Good points for the OP.

  28. #28crazydane2024-01-23 20:47

    Appreciate the feedback! All good talking points in re-negotiating a price, or punt on this one and look at another one. I'm still waiting on a screenshot of the display showing the hours and the service history from United Rentals. I spent some time today looking at other TB290 listing near me on Facebook, as well as sold listings for this machine on Machinery Trader. I put together the following table comparing hours and seat wear (I know it means nothing as far the overall condition, but at least gives an idea if the hours listed are in the ballpark based in the picture alone). So clearly the hours indicated on the display are way off as well as the year (he said 2018 on the phone). He picks up a lot of units from rental places when they churn out older machines for nice fresh ones. I don't know if United auctions them off typically, or have agreements with "flippers". The place was in the woods in Chester Virginia on a 200 acre farm. The gets these machines in, fixed them up, and the list them for sale. He probably had about 30 or 40 machines, from 1.5 ton up to about 30 ton, all makes. This particular unit was not actually listed for sale yet. What drew me to this place in the first place was actually another TB290 that was a 2017/2018 model (had rear camera from the pics and screen showing 1,100 hours). He was asking $59k for it and I offered $55k. I called him and he said he just sold it, but had this one also. So I drove down there and looked at it and the other machines he had, but came back to this one. But based on all the feedback you guys have provided, as well as the chart above, I'm thinking of offering him $45k instead to see if he'll accept. He has a helper there that fixes up what comes in to make them presentable for sale, which includes a good clean and replacing any broken or missing parts. This one he hasn't touched yet, so I'm thinking he'll be willing to negotiate since he's done nothing to it yet. My guess is he probably paid United between $30 - $40k. I'd think he'd be happy flipping it for a $10k profit, give or take, without having to spend any time on it. Guess it won't hurt to ask.

  29. #29Vetech632024-01-24 07:33

    Go for it.

  30. #30crane operator2024-01-24 07:36

    I find marketplace to be a little high on pricing, they are selling retail. Your research shows that. If you can buy the same machine on machinery trader for 30-40, why are you giving this guy 50? All the ones on machinery trader for low 30's are the same machine that you are willing to give 50 for, and they are two years newer.

  31. #31crazydane2024-01-24 08:30

    So I know he got the TB290s from United Rentals, and when I look at their website where they sell these, I see the following pricing: I guess maybe those are "suggested" selling prices? Like I said, he sold a nice 2018 with 1,100 hours for $59k. I think that was a fair price. This one: But yes, once I get the service history and the true hours on the machine, I'll definitely lower my offer. All that said, I don't currently see anything on machinery trader for less than $50k (except for 3 units around 6,000 hours), but again, I guess that asking price vs. selling price. Big difference apparently.

  32. #32crane operator2024-01-24 08:34

    I didn't look anything up on machinery trader, I was just going off your numbers in your graph. If this machine is priced right with what you see as current market, go for it. Just from your chart- it looked overpriced. Sorry if I made any confusion.

  33. #33MG842024-01-24 08:49

    You can expect any of them from United Rentals to have lived a similar life work wise, they’ve likely all had a breaker on them, been run hard, and abused by inexperienced operators. The difference is how they were maintained, some United Rental branches are a lot better on maintenance then others. I once rented a low hour machine from them with under 500hrs and it had never been greased once. It squeaked so bad I could hardly run it, I greased all I could but some wouldn’t take grease from being run dry so long. Also whenever they replace the tracks on a rubber track machine they seem to buy the cheapest no name tracks they can find. I guess the thinking is people are going to destroy them in quick order anyways so why spend the money. On the flip side I sometimes get one that had been well greased, not too beaten up, dates and hrs written on all the filters etc, so it runs the gamut.

  34. #34crazydane2024-01-24 09:14

    Ha, so much for them talking about all their machines being meticulously maintained per the manufactures schedule. So if I was looking at a TB290 with a little over 4,000 hours on it from United, I should not assume the 37 gallons of hydraulic fluid was changed out at 4,000 hours? lol This particular machine does have the dates written on all the filters (11/2023) for what its worth, so maybe in came from one of the "good" places. Anyway, appreciate all the feedback. I have learned a lot since I joined here just a little while ago!

  35. #35PeterG2024-01-24 13:38

    If you grab the United Rental number off the machine, painted on the sides, any United Rentals Service Department can look up the service record. Four of my Takeuchi machines were rentals. The first machine was a TB016 from a rental store that I got dirt cheap. I did not know anything machines and I'm sure the dealer thought the machine engine was shot. To start the machine I've always had to add heat. The machine had 2000 hours on it when I bought it, but is still running strong on original engine and has 3800 hours. I bought a TL130 track loader from United Rental with 2000 hours on it. The engine service record showed a top end rebuild at 1800 hours. The engine still runs strong. It does have some hydraulic glitches on cold engine track movement until it gets warmed up, but it's no problem. I bought a TB135 that did not last due to dust in the engine from a bad air filter casing cap. Make sure the plastic casing is not broken as the clips can vibrate off. Lastly I bought a TB153FR sight unseen from another rental yard that runs great. My advice is continue to look for good deals on machines, but allow an extra 5-10k to spend on it when you get it home for Dealer service and parts, even if you will do some of the work yourself. For me I change all the fluids if needed, replace the seat, and add attachments etc. I let the dealer handle anything real complicated. That's a nice spread sheet Crazydane.

  36. #36MG842024-01-24 15:18

    The other thing you have to realize about rental equipment, especially something larger like the mid-size excavators you are looking at, is the rental house isn’t always the one doing the maintenance. Often equipment is rented by one party for weeks or even months at a time, and it’s their responsibility to keep it greased, check the fluids, clean the air filter, etc. The rental house does the major maintenance, but things like oil changes could be way overdue if it’s been out on a long rental.

  37. #37crazydane2024-01-24 15:49

    @PeterG I called my local United Rentals and asked if they could send me the service record. He said they are not legally allowed to do that unfortunately. He did say they typically do the engine oil every 250 hours, but generally never do the hydraulic oil unless there an issue that requires it. They also mark the date and hours on the filters when they are replaced. I was able to spot some dates on a couple of filters from the pics I took when I went saw this machine in person. Engine oil filter: (10-23-23) Fuel filter also appears to have been changed on 10-23-23: Hydraulic oil doesn't look too terrible dark in the sight glass above. Looks like the windshield liquid pump has been replaced recently as well. So maybe this came out of a reputable location? @MG84 very good point about it being out for extended periods at a time with the maintenance falling on the renter, which I bet means it won't get done most of the time.

  38. #38heymccall2024-01-24 16:44

    Getting oil samples from the engine and hydraulic system would be helpful.

  39. #39PeterG2024-01-24 17:57

    I called my local dealer and tried to get info based on the serial number and equipment number you provided. Not very helpful there. But he did offer the hours on the machine at 3,633 hours. So that is confusing now. Told me to call your dealer at 800-272-1146.

  40. #40PeterG2024-01-24 17:58

    Equipment number 10503242, 2016 TB290

  41. #41crazydane2024-01-24 18:43

    @PeterG Thanks! 3,633 hours sounds about right for a 2016 model I think. Really wish I had taken a picture of the screen showing the hours while I was there. @heymccall Great idea about getting oil samples. Not sure I'll be able to turn those around before I have to either commit to buying or not. Will look into it.

  42. #42MG842024-01-24 19:12

    At some point you just have to evaluate equipment on its current state and not a complete history. Get what little maintenance records you can, examine the machine closely, run it as long as you can and make a decision from there. Barring any previous catastrophic failures or blatant contamination, equipment is surprisingly tough. A lot of equipment operates in horrible conditions in third world countries, with abysmal maintenance, but yet still keeps working. If everything is tight and works good, chances are it will be ok. Clean it up, fix it up and put it to work...

  43. #43crazydane2024-01-24 19:28

    Makes sense. At first I was a little hesitant given the feedback here, but everything worked like it should, engine starts right up and sounds good. The pin at the bucket is a little loose and the Wain Roy QC adds on top of that, but its not all that bad. All hoses look good and all the sheet metal is straight. I'm still hopeful I can get him down a little on price. I pulled in some more comparisons and I plan to take this printout with me when I go back down there: The 2 in green are the ones he had on the lot Monday when I got down there. The 2018 was snatched up the morning I reached out to him. That was a great deal it would seem. But the 2016 at $55k, with 3,633 hours, compares well with the other machines on the list, especially since there is no tax or other fees to pay, and having it delivered will only be another $300 - $400.

  44. #44crazydane2024-01-25 10:00

    Facedtimed with the seller and he fired it up, and these are the hours it shows: Seat wear from same facetime session: Odd that the display would show different hours from what United stated....

  45. #45crazydane2024-02-09 22:02

    So I ended up punting on the above TB290 and picked up a 2018 TB260 instead with 2,368 hours: I'll start a separate thread regarding the 260 since I have a couple of questions about it after going over it.

  46. #46PeterG2024-02-10 12:04

    Good choice! Well done.

  47. #47BC Placer gold2024-02-10 12:46

    Looks like a solid buy!, have ran most every brand except Takeuchi…hear lots of good things about the build quality. Nice looking scenery!

  48. #48PeterG2024-02-10 14:33

    Also, did you have just four tie down straps to your trailer? For a 6 ton machine get some trucker G70 chains and binders even if you're not towing it around much. Good for securing your logs too. Also, I do believe you are suppose to tie down the stick so that it can't accidently swing to the side (DOT regulations). I can't for sure see if your stick is tied down. Cheers!

  49. #49gwhammy2026-01-15 01:30

    I just bought a 290 with 6300 hrs. my brother-in-law ran its whole life. The company bought a new one just like it a couple weeks ago. I asked him last night what he thought the difference is and he said very little difference in the way they run. He is very strong on maintenance, and it shows. The seat shows no wear and the machine looks like a 1000 hr. machine. Dealer offered mid 20's for it and that's what I gave which I thought was a steal. Two buckets and a tag is the only downfall. I don't like tag couplers. It's a 2019 model.

  50. #50PeterG2026-01-15 11:42

    Wow! Great deal!! Usually around 85K or something. Even if you had to do some major work, you would still be way ahead. How about some images of it?

  51. #51KenMac2026-01-15 12:34

    At that price point you could consider upgrading to WerkBrau or other similar setup. I do agree that TAG is not in the top tier at all.

  52. #52gwhammy2026-01-22 19:53

    My zx75 ingersoll I'm replacing has a wb pin grabber and 4 buckets, frost tooth and jackhammer. Moved them into the shop today with the bad weather coming and plan on swapping them. As far as I can tell the measurements are real close. The tag might be just a hair to narrow for the Ingersoll but that won't be a problem. I've ran it tearing a house down the last week or so and found nothing but the bucket pin bushings a little loose. It's a better machine than I thought I was getting. Even a blind squirrel will find a nut every now and then !

  53. #53gwhammy2026-01-24 08:42

    The ingersoll runs the pin grabber off of the pump in two spots. I've been told most run them off of the bucket load side. The solenoid has two inlets coming from the pump and two outlets going to the pin grabber. I'm guessing you hook into the bucket on both sides to make it work? Thinking I can use solenoid and wiring and plug off the lines on the ingersoll when I take parts. I can't find anything on the net showing technical schematics on this. I'm going this week coming to look at the new one with a factory pin grabber on it see where they plum in but guessing as they use one of the buttons on the handles and a pedal on the floor they are alot more complicated. Any info would be appreciated.